What is the point of 3D? Page 2

I remember as a kid in the late 50s that 3D was the way forward and then it died a death, which is what will happen with this "new" 3D unless someone can come up with say contact lenses so you do not have to wear the glasses, but do you/we really need 3D? Do you find yourself living in a 3D world and think that your two dimensional TV/cinema odd and not lifelike? Do you go round dodging spears, insects and bats?

I've not been to a 3D show, but do they work with polarized spectacles?

If so each of the two images on screen are receiving only half of the normal amount of light, so there would be a tendency for the perceived images to be dimmer, unless some sort of special high output projector was used.

So that is probably why some people are seeing dimmer pictures and some seeing normal brightness; perhaps some cinemas can't afford or have not got the high power projectors.

Used to be a green and a red lens I seem to remember, but then I am ancient.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 11th December 2016, 9:34 AM

I remember as a kid in the late 50s that 3D was the way forward and then it died a death, which is what will happen with this "new" 3D unless someone can come up with say contact lenses so you do not have to wear the glasses, but do you/we really need 3D? Do you find yourself living in a 3D world and think that your two dimensional TV/cinema odd and not lifelike? Do you go round dodging spears, insects and bats?

Even if they ever figured out a more elegant solution, the problem is that adding 3D effects to a 2D screen doesn't add anything else to the story, it's not like you can really see anything from a different angle, it's purely a novel special effect.

Again, virtual reality or argumented reality is the way to go, a chance to see things you couldn't see in real life.

None of this should ever replace traditional film though, as that is an art of its own.

Quote: Lee @ 11th December 2016, 4:28 PM

Even if they ever figured out a more elegant solution, the problem is that adding 3D effects to a 2D screen doesn't add anything else to the story, it's not like you can really see anything from a different angle, it's purely a novel special effect.

In many cases that's true, but in some films it does genuinely add to the experience. Notably, all those years ago now, but I was really blown away by the use of 3D in Avatar. So immersive.

I've only ever seen one 3D movie at the cinema and the best display of the 3D effect in that was a logo for the production company at the start, I even gasped out loud "f**king hell, that looks amazing" only to be shushed by who I was with. Unfortunately, it was only those few seconds that impressed me. The rest of it didn't work and looked tacked on.

I'm sure Avatar looked great though, as that film was specifically made with 3D in mind. Although I can't say I enjoyed the film itself when I watched it in 2D.

:O You young whipper-snapper, and you're the reason I don't go to the cinema anymore as you are the sort of c**t I used to find myself sitting in front of - no wonder you were shushed.

In my day the usherette would flash her torch and told you to zip it or get out, and I enjoyed Avatar so yah boo sucks. :P

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 12th December 2016, 9:26 AM

In my day the usherette would flash and told you to zip it up or get it out, and I enjoyed sucks. :P

:O

Quote: Frankie Rage @ 12th December 2016, 6:28 PM

:)

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 12th December 2016, 9:26 AM

:O You young whipper-snapper, and you're the reason I don't go to the cinema anymore as you are the sort of c**t I used to find myself sitting in front of - no wonder you were shushed.

In my day the usherette would flash her torch and told you to zip it or get out, and I enjoyed Avatar so yah boo sucks. :P

Calm down with the C word grandad.

*Thinks - must ask Aaron for a Werther's Original Emoji.

Can we have an emoji for when you click on a thread and then want to move away quickly without commenting

Quote: Frankie Rage @ 12th December 2016, 6:28 PM

In my day the usherette would flash and told you to zip it up or get it out, and I enjoyed sucks. :P

Laughing out loud

Quote: Will Cam @ 13th December 2016, 12:03 AM

Calm down with the C word grandad.

*Thinks - must ask Aaron for a Werther's Original Emoji.

I only used it once, you ^&*%$ &()&(^$* *$*£**^( !!!!!, besides which I find it weird that I seem to be the only person that complains about the use of M***** F*****, which in my eyes and ears is far more offensive................very odd.

Yeah I'm still not on the 3D train. I've seen a few movies in the cinema with 3D, and you sort of forget after 20 mins. I don't think it really enhances anything. I imagine the trend will die down soon enough.