EU Referendum - In Or Out? Page 5

Quote: Aaron @ 28th January 2016, 3:26 PM GMT

And not even elected.

That's crazy talk. :S

Quote: DaButt @ 28th January 2016, 3:24 PM GMT

The idea of someone in another country raising the taxes of a different country seems so ... foreign.

I think we tried that with your lot once....
:) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWF3S9OgQho

Quote: Lazzard @ 28th January 2016, 4:08 PM GMT

I think we tried that with your lot once....
:) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWF3S9OgQho

Actually the Boston Tea Party was sparked by the lowering of tax.

(See http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/danielhannan/100224767/why-all-britons-should-celebrate-the-american-declaration-of-independence/)

Quote: DaButt @ 28th January 2016, 3:24 PM GMT

The idea of someone in another country raising the taxes of a different country seems so ... foreign.

Mexico and Canada have both complained bitterly over America's dominance in setting out the North American Trade agreement, so not a foreign concept to your smaller neighbours.

Most countries apply VAT and importation tax to goods coming into their country. So technically all countries dictate the taxes business in other countries must suffer (by inflating the price of their goods). But here's the rub, extra levies on countries outside the free market. Membership has to have benefits.

If the EU asks us to apply VAT to food, we could rebate this to UK producers by way of another initiative. Thus giving our food producers a competitive edge. That's the French approach to all this. The problem with Britain is we prefer to kick up a stink about fair play and then fall out with out neighbours over it. Where as France is the smiling assassin, they agree with the initiatives and then avoids them later when everyone has lost interest.

Quote: Aaron @ 28th January 2016, 4:17 PM GMT

Actually the Boston Tea Party was sparked by the lowering of tax.

(See http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/danielhannan/100224767/why-all-britons-should-celebrate-the-american-declaration-of-independence/)

That's what comes of taking history lessons from 70's Art Rock bands.

Quote: Lazzard @ 28th January 2016, 6:56 PM GMT

Laughing out loud

Quote: Lazzard @ 28th January 2016, 6:56 PM GMT

Brian Pern would be outraged at your questioning of their honesty. ;)

The Lowering of taxes? Did they make them painting match stick men and matchstick cats and dogs on their tax returns?

I may have to vote to leave - purely on the grounds that anything Cameron supports I oppose.

Also, I haven't allowed myself to go abroad since 2005 so Euros don't apply. To be frank, I discuss Sri Lankan history with my newsagent when he isn't in a gloomy mood. The bus driver and my cousin-in-law are both Portuguese. I talk with Turkish pizza guys who call me Arsenal about Trabzonspor FC. No one has to travel.

I haven't been abroad since I went to Exeter in 2014.

Before that it was 2006 for Spain and France.

So it's Out then. Cameron's been given acting lessons to make out we've got a great deal. And if even half of that is ratified it'll cause the eastern lot to stampede in protest. The EU was created to stop wars between European counties but I think it's in stark danger of creating them now. The very thought of forcing everyone to like each other is as puke making as it gets. It's all ridiculous PC insanity.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 20th February 2016, 9:54 AM GMT

So it's Out then. Cameron's been given acting lessons to make out we've got a great deal. And if even half of that is ratified it'll cause the eastern lot to stampede in protest. The EU was created to stop wars between European counties but I think it's in stark danger of creating them now. The very thought of forcing everyone to like each other is as puke making as it gets. It's all ridiculous PC insanity.

I'm back to abstaining because it is a choice between hanging and flogging. Much as I dislike the EU intensely, the biggest whopper is that leaving it would give us all more power. It wouldn't. It would give more power to Cameron/Osborne/Johnson or Corbyn/McDonnell/Eagle. They are bad enough restricted in what they do and would be unbearable if they had a free rein. No politician has worked on behalf of the people for 50 odd years.

The Hokey Cokey

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 20th February 2016, 10:17 AM GMT

The Hokey Cokey

I would only have voted in if Cameron had got a concession to have his adenoids taken out.

Naturally the bastards have chosen a date when I'm on holiday and papers for a postal vote will arrive after we've left home.