EU Referendum - In Or Out? Page 26

Quote: keewik @ 27th June 2016, 4:59 PM BST

Oi! Less of the old people. I voted Remain. Apart from that, it sounds like a good idea except that nobody of any age will understand! I'm constantly amazed at the words a lot of young people don't know. And try asking them if they've ever heard of Clementina Walkinshaw! Laughing out loud

Who? Laughing out loud

It's all got very confused. Teary

I saw a simple incident which excited my risibility, mauger my fatigue. It involved strangers and I knew not but they were bashful withal.

Very soon I was graveled so I returned quickly past the blue-gowns on the charabanc. Back at home I overly boiled my cabbage aside the mangle.

I needed to hear Al de Pfeffel on the wireless. I've got a monkey with a long tail and the FTSE 100 is going down the shoot.

But he's back slanging it. A Jack Brag of in-and-in breeding, innit. Jeezum pees, nuh romp wid mi, da Boris, tun up de ting or small up yuhself.

You ain't bang up to the elephant. You're a nose bagger with a gigglemug, dude. Umble-cum-stumble? .

Quote: zooo @ 27th June 2016, 3:55 PM BST

Yes, but normal people are now getting racial abuse in the street. Because the racists who DID vote Brexit for racist reasons, now think most of the country agrees with them. (Which they do not.)

That is because the racists thought that it means that everyone who voted Leave shared their views. But we don't! Most of us are disgusted too.

Although those things are abhorrent & probably true
incidents like these are bound to get excessive media attention
With Twitter etc these days it's not hard to get these stories noticed

However if these morons are suddenly coming out of the woodwork then it could be a good thing proper racial hatred like that should be punished

Quote: fopdoodle @ 27th June 2016, 12:53 PM BST

Precisely. And I have just been pointing out the facts about how unfairly the majority vote was achieved.

I am actually in favour of no longer being dictated to by a higher body at enormous cost, but as I wasn't sure of shorter term costs to people's lives (as no-one really was, or is yet) I voted in favour of continued stability, despite seeing the potential benefits long-term and justification for people voting to leave - whether I was wrong or not.

You've got to accept the concensus and then we can talk together.

I'm sorry to keep on but much more was made of the problems if we Left but nothing was fact.

Quote: zooo @ 27th June 2016, 6:28 PM BST

That's just a statement from the Polish Embassy.

According to the article, it was a statement from the local police. And when it mentions "dozens" of people complaining about abuse on Facebook, that makes what, about 1 out of a million UK citizens an overt racist? It still doesn't strike me as a huge surge in public racism and I doubt that it's much more prevalent than before the referendum. But it makes for good headlines...

It's nice for us white people to be able to assume these things!

As a white guy living in a city that's 65% brown, I feel it's my right as a minority to speak my mind. But The Man is always trying to hold me down...

Quote: fopdoodle @ 27th June 2016, 2:15 PM BST

Just one more point I want to make regarding immigrants.

I have enormous empathy for foreign nationals who have made a life here, because if this country was more attractive to them and we let them in, why blame them?

It's not their fault.

Our National Health system was set up to help those living here. It was the EU that made us offer it to those who had made no contribution.

Can the people in England vote in the Scottish leave referendum this time Ms Sturgeon? I think you'd be pleasantly surprised.

Quote: paulted @ 27th June 2016, 7:53 PM BST

Can the people in England vote in the Scottish leave referendum this time Ms Sturgeon? I think you'd be pleasantly surprised.

Most definitely. I'm already taking the blue out of my Union Flag.

After 10 minutes of this match I'd take the red and white out too

Quote: Chappers @ 27th June 2016, 7:55 PM BST

Most definitely. I'm already taking the blue out of my Union Flag.

Hoorah!

Off my own bat, not linked to any BCG organization, to start people in Parliament and the rest of the population thinking about what happens towards the end of the negotiations of Article 50

So I've made a petition on the parliament website. I couldn't use exactly the wording that I wanted to, as their website has short limits on the number of characters that can be typed in the boxes.

It needs 5 sponsors to turn it into an actual petetition.

- will you sign it?

Click this link to sign the petition: https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/155138/sponsors/fGpSNoAtdjiZZoLcYBk

My petition:

In 2018 hold a referendum on whether negotiated EU Exit terms are acceptable.

Suggested:

The UK will shortly be leaving the European Union; How should the UK continue trading with the EU?

1. Trade on the terms of the draft Exit treaty between the UK and EU?

2. Trade with the EU only on World Trade Organization rules, until a better Trade Agreement with the EU is agreed?

This new referendum will seek to ensure that the will of the majority that voted to LEAVE is not watered down by weak UK negotiators who, to gain free trade arrangements, might give away the control of free-movement-of-labour that was voted for.

Or secondly if the EU is dogmatic and unwilling to include UK control of movement-of-labour this vote effectively gives those who voted to REMAIN a second referendum.[/b]

Click this link to sign the petition: https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/155138/sponsors/fGpSNoAtdjiZZoLcYBk

BRITISH NHS

The entire issue of free trade with high immigration (like Norway) v immigration down to tens of thousands and less trade (something other than Norway) was deliberately blurred by both sides who mainly suggested we could have it all ways.Now we are hearing in all of the chaos that in fact we can't. 76% of immigration into UK since 1990 has not been from EU and could if UK Governments have wanted it been controlled. Top three countries of origin of immigrants - India, China, Pakistan (although admittedly EU numbers were rising in years 05-14).

BRITISH NHS

The one thing we rarely hear - and the working income/lower middle income categories will NOT be hoodwinked again - is how you square lower trade (not "Norway") plus very low immigration (not "Norway") with the wish to provide an NHS and state pensions. UKIP who would seem to prefer "Not Norway" and the Tory Right are anything but straight on this matter on prime time TV. At most, Farage has backtracked on the NHS pledge.

BRITISH NHS

Elsewhere, until recently UKIP were disparaging of the NHS. Hannon - born to Scottish Irish parents in Peru - has called the NHS a 60 year old mistake. According to him it makes people, quote, iller. Gove at one time argued for its abolition. Johnson has asked just four questions about it in his Parliamentary career and is lukewarm to it.

BRITISH NHS

This matters to those of us aged 40-65 who are not well off and can see a future for us and the young where the choice will be unaffordable private health care (actually probably unobtainable on age grounds) or an early grave.

BRITISH NHS

And that will if it is decided be down to those currently aged over 65 (including I have to say my parents aged 85 and 86) and any half baked poor soul who they can con again. As for state pensions, they are only going to be maintained for us with adequate numbers paying taxes. If we don't get them the young can bet that they won't.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/eurosceptic-tory-mp-dr-sarah-wollaston-refuses-to-hand-out-misleading-vote-leave-nhs-leaflets-a7043166.html

BRITISH NHS

Incidentally there is only one party which believes immigration can be very low and an NHS and pensions can be sustained. That's the BNP. So people can make up their own minds as to whether they want to go down that route and if economically it is even half way believable. Of course, we await the next UKIP manifesto with fascination to see what box of magic tricks will be in their wording. Whatever they say, it is unlikely to alter the harsh truth.

I thank you. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6Sxv-sUYtM

......to be fair to my Mum I believe she voted Remain. My Dad and my property millionaire uncle (ex Council Estate) voted Leave and I have to say that I am avoiding both of them at the moment because I literally cannot speak to them about politics anymore. I am really very, very, angry, not least at their weakness to demagoguery.

BHS? Sorry. I thought they'd gone bust!

Aw. Much nicer news.

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/londoners-turn-up-with-gifts-at-polish-community-centre-vandalised-with-xenophobic-graffiti-a3283311.html

SADLY......BRITAIN IS ALREADY AT WAR

We are already in a war with Europe (trading, politics) and in a civil war (Britain divided on new, additional, lines).

Fortunately no one has taken up arms yet.

A FRAGILE UNITY

The EU is disappointed. Remain supporters are disappointed. Brexit supporters are both highly delighted and somewhat doubtful. There is plenty to come to ensure that many of them - including those who find it difficult just to find their way around a supermarket - will soon be even more disgruntled with politicians than they ever were before. The Government - and the same will be true of any future ones - has got its work cut out. It is small wonder that Boris and the City are asking for Remainers and Brexiters to unite. The most likely major fall out in this country will not be between the two but rather in the two sides united against an even more disgraced political establishment. If and whenever that happens, Nicola Sturgeon will look like Mother Theresa on speed.

TRADE....WHAT TRADE?

It will take very many years to build trade internationally outside Europe. That is, if it can be done at all in a way that makes Europe comparatively irrelevant. Nothing of note has been done since the referendum result to facilitate trade deals with the the old Commonwealth and elsewhere. That is because there is total vagueness on what can be traded with (French) Niger etc and how it can be done. Under WTO rules, trade with Europe itself would for some considerable time be difficult and it would not be cheap. If that happens, it is likely to take place in circumstances that will be frosty to the point of mutual loathing. But we could, of course, have immigration levels down with it. Or else they could be double what we have had if elected British Governments chose it.

BANKS COSY UP TO PARIS

Here's just a taster of what happens next. France in the EU has decided that Britain if it wants can have full access to the single market (Norway) and immigration levels of its own choosing (Not Norway). Well, doesn't that sound all fine and dandy. Except it has come up with a price and that price is for Britain not to be permitted something called "passporting". What is that? I can absolutely guarantee that fewer than 1 in 10,000 people who voted in the referendum could begin to explain it. Farage and Cameron know what it is of course. It is the right for our banking sector to trade easily with the rest of Europe. What the French hope is the banks will all relocate to France. Many will certainly be relocating in that situation to Germany or Ireland and Trump's US will rake it in. Senior financial experts in the United States have described it all as the most amazing self-inflicted wound.

GOODBYE ATTLEE?

In the absence of unlimited access to the single market with its immigration commitments (Norway), our economy will lose the banks, we will be years away from decent international trade and the state health and pension systems which were already under pressure will just disintegrate. Symbolically, it is no coincidence that while the Conservative Party is presently jittery like the financial sector, Labour's looking like it has been hit by an avalanche. While we will survive as a country, just, welfare won't do unless we accept the Norwegian model. That's like being in the EU with no power in decision making and none of the advantages of Cameron's deal.

LIMITS ON ANY INFLUX OF PEACE

A Britain with virtually no welfare state is a Britain of 1929. The year of Black Thursday when the financial sector crashed in America and in the absence of a welfare state what followed here was hunger and civil unrest. Dealing with civil unrest is very costly for a country both financially and in its insecure authoritarian need to virtually remove any liberal freedom of movement. That in turn leads to the kinds of instability that facilitates war on continents. And it is especially the case where what happens in one country leads to similar impacts on others. What is important to remember is whatever else he was, Hitler was a product of prior economic mismanagement.

A BONFIRE OF DIRECTIVES

Ordinary people who voted for Brexit - those who still think it is a good thing and those who do not now - are not a huge problem. Their political leaders have not been the only problem in political leadership. Where we are now is largely a consequence of EU territorial expansion pushed by Blair/Bush and an American led financial crash of 2007/8. But just as we had managed to crawl our way out of umpteen recessions, Farage, his right wing Conservative cronies and the most privileged generations of all time have lit a fire that will burn across decades. The latter group will not see a lot of it, comfortably oblivious to it all. So too anyone on a four/five figure salary.