Motor Cars

My Mazda had its annual service and MOT yesterday - the original tyres, which have done 24,000 miles still have 6mm on the back and 4.5mm on the front drive wheels which I think is remarkable.

This is without doubt the best wear I have ever had out of a set of tyres. Can remember with some of my old cars in the 60s/70s I would only get 5,000 miles!

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 2nd December 2015, 9:27 AM GMT

My Mazda had its annual service and MOT yesterday -

Is this a gentle way of telling us you went to the urologist?

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ 2nd December 2015, 9:36 AM GMT

Is this a gentle way of telling us you went to the urologist?

Other one - did have an exhaust probe. >_<

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 2nd December 2015, 9:27 AM GMT

My Mazda had its annual service and MOT yesterday - the original tyres, which have done 24,000 miles still have 6mm on the back and 4.5mm on the front drive wheels which I think is remarkable.

This is without doubt the best wear I have ever had out of a set of tyres. Can remember with some of my old cars in the 60s/70s I would only get 5,000 miles!

My 2009 Hyundai Sonata had 52,000 miles on the original tires. I replaced them a few months ago when I gave the car to my son, but only as a favor. They still had a few thousand miles left on them.

I don't think I've ever seen a tire that had a warranty for less than 50,000 miles and most are rated in the 60-70k range. I wonder what makes things so different in the UK?

I don't know why I bother with my local garage. Well I do, they got me out of the shit once.
But since then... lets say their work has been substandard or I am unlucky.

I had new brakes and disks fitted all round.... they squealed like hell until they were warm. The garage said they would 'bed in' a month later and still making noise.... they put copper-slip on the brake pads and it stopped (they said they had originally put it on but I'm doubtful)

After a service and MOT the front part of the exhaust was blowing. (it wasn't before) they even put it on the MOT as an advisory.
I had them replace it (a flexible pipe from the engine ??)
Nice and quiet now but there was rattling from under the car that wasn't there before.
It got gradually worse until something sounded like it was loose.
I looked under and a heat shield was hanging off. They said they hadn't touched that part and charged me to re-fix it.

They do sound dodgy.

Quote: keewik @ 2nd December 2015, 2:45 PM GMT

They do sound dodgy.

I thought it was a Mazda?

Quote: DaButt @ 2nd December 2015, 4:07 PM GMT

I thought it was a Mazda?

That was me, and I think I may have given the wrong impression re tyres, which must be the same world wide I would have thought.

Taking that a new tyre has about 8/9mm when new, it should mean that I too should get around 50K plus on the rear ones as you have on your Hyundai. Those old bad mileages were in the "old days" (60s/70s) when suspension/tracking/toeing in was a dodgy business, but with modern cars that has all vastly improved. Also depends a lot on your driving of course, as now I am a far more laid back careful driver than when I was a bit of a lunatic in say my Marcos GT in the 1970s.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 2nd December 2015, 4:24 PM GMT

That was me

I was just trying (and failing, apparently), to make a play on the word 'dodgy." As in Dodge...

Quote: DaButt @ 2nd December 2015, 5:13 PM GMT

I was just trying (and failing, apparently), to make a play on the word 'dodgy." As in Dodge...

I thought as much..surprisingly...

Quote: DaButt @ 2nd December 2015, 5:13 PM GMT

Laughing out loud Oh.................. Unimpressed

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ 2nd December 2015, 5:16 PM GMT

I thought as much..surprisingly...

Yeah, well you're f**king weird that's why. :P

Yes - we need to turn the village of Ravenscar, Yorkshire into a new town of 300 houses with the requirement that everyone should own a 1960s classic car. It was, of course, intended to have become a holiday resort to rival Scarborough and Whitby. Roads were laid out, a handful of fine houses were built and sewers laid. Peak - as it would have been named - never really caught on, perhaps because of the steep path down to the beach - and the development company went bankrupt. But remnants of the resort that never was remain. So, ideal.

We do not have MOT's here in Australia. Why do you need to have one?

Strumpet

Quote: Strumpet @ 4th December 2015, 1:34 AM GMT

We do not have MOT's here in Australia. Why do you need to have one?

Strumpet

:O I am very surprised about that! If you didn't, people would drive around with cars falling to bits or no brakes or bald tyres etc.etc., so either you all drive around in new cars (the MOT does not kick in until the car is 3 years old) or you have so much space in Oz that you are unlikely to crash into each other. Laughing out loud

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 4th December 2015, 4:50 AM GMT

:O I am very surprised about that! If you didn't, people would drive around with cars falling to bits or no brakes or bald tyres etc.etc., so either you all drive around in new cars (the MOT does not kick in until the car is 3 years old) or you have so much space in Oz that you are unlikely to crash into each other. Laughing out loud

We do get our cars serviced, like after so many km's driven, which is usually once a year or more depending on if you drive every day or not. However it is up to you to do that, if your good at mechanics then you can do it yourself. A service here does include a change of oil (if needed), and an 86 point inspection, I know nothing about cars so would have no idea what they check. So an MOT is what we call a service.

Strumpet