Comedy and Mental Health Page 2

Quote: TheBlueNun @ 6th October 2015, 10:19 PM BST

You make some poignant points. I have always found throughout my life that 'fitting in' seemed the most important element. Society tends to cast out the misfits somewhat and as you correctly state, 'that's where madness lies'. I guess that deciding to step away from the norm is quite empowering to many.

Thanks for your reply. I appreciate it. After your words "to many", I guess add "if you can" as people have to work and survive. I worked for 27 years. I could write a book. I am not a relationship person. I have had them - briefly - and they didn't work. That's disappointing but I live inside my head. I have had loads of friends, many close. Close as in 30 plus years. People say "why if he is that sociable - almost too sociable - isn't he involved in relationships?". I was an only child. People then say "oh that is why - only child - but then why is he so naturally sociable? - it's strange". I got a degree at a Top Six university. God knows how but I did. So they say "he should be professionally ambitious - why is he laughing with people and going to music festivals all the time?" Well, sorry, but that is how it was although it isn't any longer as I'm now in a different situation with elderly parents next door. But it's been like this all the way through. I'm just thankful for mates/family.

Of course, people also asked if he seems so laid back, why is he so anxious and dropping out of work with problems? Which one is the fraud? Neither - genuinely neither - but there are disappointments regarding what didn't happen and that can be idealised. I'm told it's not always great. I was involved with a Japanese woman from Folkestone along those lines. It would have helped not to have been regarded as totally normal and a bit strange, the latter not because of how I am in demeanour but for what I've not complied with as they see it.

Take some magic mushrooms.

Quote: Davey Jay @ 6th October 2015, 11:14 PM BST

Take some magic mushrooms.

:D

I'm not sure the exact definition of your smiley face in this instance but just in case you haven't actually tried them. Let me tell you some things, the government and the media is simply incorrect. They are very very good things. They are absolutely good for you.

I've taken them about 10 times and every time has permanently and unquestionably improved my life and my way of thinking. I highly recommend them to you.

BCG would like to distance themselves from your remarks, but the editors are too stoned at the moment.

This is a fascinating topic. Totally agree with Horseradish's point about a sideways view being funny. Also Blue Nun's alluding to conformity not being funny, but then I do find Nuns are alluring or is that allusive ?

In America I understand "laughing therapy" is all the rage. Here' a UK article on it; http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2008/jul/06/healthandwellbeing4 The therapeutically effects of laughter for combating stress (which can induce depression and other mental health issues) has long been established.

I think, but do correct me if I'm wrong, the NHS use Art therapy in some areas. All forms of arts are seen to sooth some mental health aliments. If N.I.C.E have agreed to art Therapy then there will be robust empirical proof behind it.

The other point of note is that in my view, top flight female comedians are over represented in mental health; Ellen Degeneres, Roseanne Barr, Joan Rivers, Tracy Ullman, Ruby Wax etc.. I would say 3 in that list are in the top 5 all time greats.

One common link is "manic"; i.e. John Cheese (Python as a whole), Spike Milligan, Robin Williams. The following expands on this: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2540275/Comedians-personalities-similar-mental-health-conditions.html

If you include those with learning difficulties and other aliments (dyslexia, ADHD, OCD, BPD, NPD etc..) then you could almost accounts for everyone but Lenny Henry. Would be interested to see other source articles on this fascinating topic.

Quote: Nick Nockerty @ 7th October 2015, 9:50 AM BST

This is a fascinating topic. Totally agree with Horseradish's point about a sideways view being funny. Also Blue Nun's alluding to conformity not being funny, but then I do find Nuns are alluring or is that allusive ?

In America I understand "laughing therapy" is all the rage. Here' a UK article on it; http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2008/jul/06/healthandwellbeing4 The therapeutically effects of laughter for combating stress (which can induce depression and other mental health issues) has long been established.

I think, but do correct me if I'm wrong, the NHS use Art therapy in some areas. All forms of arts are seen to sooth some mental health aliments. If N.I.C.E have agreed to art Therapy then there will be robust empirical proof behind it.

The other point of note is that in my view, top flight female comedians are over represented in mental health; Ellen Degeneres, Roseanne Barr, Joan Rivers, Tracy Ullman, Ruby Wax etc.. I would say 3 in that list are in the top 5 all time greats.

One common link is "manic"; i.e. John Cheese (Python as a whole), Spike Milligan, Robin Williams. The following expands on this: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2540275/Comedians-personalities-similar-mental-health-conditions.html

If you include those with learning difficulties and other aliments (dyslexia, ADHD, OCD, BPD, NPD etc..) then you could almost accounts for everyone but Lenny Henry. Would be interested to see other source articles on this fascinating topic.

I try to be alluring, but if I were a real-life Nun then I'd be bathing under a board (apparently so, a girl I used to know who attended the local RC Secondary School told me that..)

I recall the magnificent Sharon Horgan presenting one her quirky C4 documentaries about the concept of laughter therapy. Actually, it was either her or the equally fab Nina Conti - forgive me, I've had a long day at work.

I seem to recall reading that DM article after the sad demise of Robin Williams. There does certainly seem to be a link.

My colleague and I were discussing Mindfulness and Art Therapy today and how good it is.

This afternoon's seminar was really interesting. Juliette was really inspirational and hearing my colleagues talking about MH issues was emotional.

Quote: A Horseradish @ 6th October 2015, 10:29 PM BST

Thanks for your reply. I appreciate it. After your words "to many", I guess add "if you can" as people have to work and survive. I worked for 27 years. I could write a book. I am not a relationship person. I have had them - briefly - and they didn't work. That's disappointing but I live inside my head. I have had loads of friends, many close. Close as in 30 plus years. People say "why if he is that sociable - almost too sociable - isn't he involved in relationships?". I was an only child. People then say "oh that is why - only child - but then why is he so naturally sociable? - it's strange". I got a degree at a Top Six university. God knows how but I did. So they say "he should be professionally ambitious - why is he laughing with people and going to music festivals all the time?" Well, sorry, but that is how it was although it isn't any longer as I'm now in a different situation with elderly parents next door. But it's been like this all the way through. I'm just thankful for mates/family.

Of course, people also asked if he seems so laid back, why is he so anxious and dropping out of work with problems? Which one is the fraud? Neither - genuinely neither - but there are disappointments regarding what didn't happen and that can be idealised. I'm told it's not always great. I was involved with a Japanese woman from Folkestone along those lines. It would have helped not to have been regarded as totally normal and a bit strange, the latter not because of how I am in demeanour but for what I've not complied with as they see it.

The term 'normal' I guess is relative? I'm quite interested to learn that a few of us on BCG have caring responsibilties too. We did, but recently the circumstances changed.

I thought of this thread after hearing Shappi Khorsandi on the Comedian's Comedian Podcast (below). What an incredible interview.

https://www.comedy.co.uk/podcasts/comedians_comedian_podcast/episode_171_shappi_khorsandi/

Quote: Nogget @ 28th June 2016, 2:06 PM BST

I thought of this thread after hearing Shappi Khorsandi on the Comedian's Comedian Podcast (below). What an incredible interview.

https://www.comedy.co.uk/podcasts/comedians_comedian_podcast/episode_171_shappi_khorsandi/

Ooh - thanks for the heads up. That's on my iPod list to listen to. I love The Comedians' Comedian podcasts - I've been indulging since purchasing an iPod touch a couple of weeks ago.

I listened to Shappi's Com Com podcast this afternoon and it was wonderfully insightful. I particularly thought that her comments on friends/frenemies etc was particularly poignant.

Quote: TheBlueNun @ 28th June 2016, 11:10 PM BST

I listened to Shappi's Com Com podcast this afternoon and it was wonderfully insightful.

Although much of the time I felt Shappi has yet to gain insight, or has yet to become comfortable with what she has discovered.

Quote: Nogget @ 29th June 2016, 8:10 AM BST

Although much of the time I felt Shappi has yet to gain insight, or has yet to become comfortable with what she has discovered.

I got the impression that she was well on the way to discovering her true self. Although,that said, one can spend a lifetime in therapy.

As someone who deals with bipolar disorder I can see why it would be statistically abnormally present in the comedy world and the creative world as a whole. When I'm manic, my creative output goes through the roof and I can create things that I couldn't possibly create if I were in a normal mood state. The downside is, it's damn near impossible to be creative when you're suicidally depressed, which seems to be the inevitable outcome of having a manic episode.

I also have ADHD as well, and I can see how that could be helpful in some ways and hurtful in others. One of my favourite comedians, Lee Mack, has ADHD, and he says in his book that he's able to hyperfocus on writing for hours at a time, and was surprised to learn from the psychiatrist he interviewed for the book that hyperfocus is actually a common aspect of ADHD. It's kind of all or nothing in my experience. If I have to do something boring or uninteresting I can't focus at all, but if it's deeply interesting I can't focus on anything BUT that thing. Certainly has its pros and cons. Same with bipolar disorder.

I'd imagine though, that it's in some sense easier to not be mentally ill if you're a comedian because you can have some sense of normalcy and stability instead of having such extreme contrast between productive/unproductive and creative/uncreative periods.

The fact that there are a good number of incredible artists who have admitted that they struggle with mental illness just speaks to how common mental illess really is.

Quote: Davida Grimes @ 24th July 2016, 11:08 PM

As someone who deals with bipolar disorder I can see why it would be statistically abnormally present in the comedy world and the creative world as a whole. When I'm manic, my creative output goes through the roof and I can create things that I couldn't possibly create if I were in a normal mood state. The downside is, it's damn near impossible to be creative when you're suicidally depressed, which seems to be the inevitable outcome of having a manic episode.

I also have ADHD as well, and I can see how that could be helpful in some ways and hurtful in others. One of my favourite comedians, Lee Mack, has ADHD, and he says in his book that he's able to hyperfocus on writing for hours at a time, and was surprised to learn from the psychiatrist he interviewed for the book that hyperfocus is actually a common aspect of ADHD. It's kind of all or nothing in my experience. If I have to do something boring or uninteresting I can't focus at all, but if it's deeply interesting I can't focus on anything BUT that thing. Certainly has its pros and cons. Same with bipolar disorder.

I'd imagine though, that it's in some sense easier to not be mentally ill if you're a comedian because you can have some sense of normalcy and stability instead of having such extreme contrast between productive/unproductive and creative/uncreative periods.

The fact that there are a good number of incredible artists who have admitted that they struggle with mental illness just speaks to how common mental illess really is.

An excellent post; as well as ASD my son also has ADHD and sometimes he is incredibly inspired and other times, not - I guess that he'll be able to deal with it a great deal more once he's older?

I'm sure that I read that authors such as Graham Greene lived with Bipolar and as a result, had to keep working to remain focussed? Personally, as someone with ASD, I love the bizarre ways my brain deals with information - an example of which is that a pigeon died in our garden whilst we were in holiday and my father placed its corpse in the recycling bin. I thought that the poor departed bird may have wished to have a full state avian funeral, replete with the Royal Standard draped across his/her coffin and the whole thing being flown across the sky by a flock of doves.

I am odd though - comedy helps me cope :)