General Election 2015 Page 13

By the way our sausage is different, too. Commonly known as sliced sausage, square sausage, or, if you want to be polite, Lorne sausage. None of that horrible skin on it. Laughing out loud

Haggis is very possibly not Scottish.

Quote: Aaron @ 30th April 2015, 10:22 PM BST

Haggis is very possibly not Scottish.

I'm glad it is you and not me who has put that cat among the pigeons.

You might be better placed to fend off any objections. :)

Quote: keewik @ 30th April 2015, 10:20 PM BST

By the way our sausage is different, too. Commonly known as sliced sausage, square sausage, or, if you want to be polite, Lorne sausage. None of that horrible skin on it. Laughing out loud

Keewik, that sounds utterly delightful.

Morish even. :D

Quote: Aaron @ 30th April 2015, 6:37 PM BST

Well there's talk now of a new independence referendum, perhaps as soon as next year.

Once in a lifetime wasn't it?

Why can't we have a vote to get rid of them?

Quote: Chappers @ 30th April 2015, 10:35 PM BST

Once in a lifetime wasn't it?

Why can't we have a vote to get rid of them?

No comment... Whistling nnocently

Ah, just winding down for the night.

What's on the radio?

QT with Nicola Sturgeon.

Looks like I'm getting into bed with her then.

Best to do it before everyone else does.

She looks like she'd do a turn.

She's a respectable married wumman.

Quote: A Horseradish @ 30th April 2015, 11:52 PM BST

Ah, just winding down for the night.

What's on the radio?

QT with Nicola Sturgeon.

Looks like I'm getting into bed with her then.

Best to do it before everyone else does.

You go to bed with Nicola Sturgeon.
And you wake up with Alex Salmond.

:)

Quote: Stylee TingTing @ 1st May 2015, 1:10 AM BST

The Spaniards? You mean the Castilians, the Galicians, the Catalans and the Basques?

What's this?
Name that Spanish region? :)

So let's get this straight? They don't eat chorizo, tapas, paella, have a fondness for red wine and olive oil, are mui catholico, understand each others' lingo, throw tomatoes at each other at festivals, have a strange national obsession with bulls, adore flamenco dancers and just generally look alike?
Nah, totally different folks, of course.

And yes, yes. I know I'm indulging in stereotype here.
No need to tell me.

But we really don't know what Spaniards are, do we? :)

This election increasingly reminds me of MacBeth. With Cameron in the role of Thane of Cawdor. He entered this election at a big disadvantage; the first Conservative PM in 4 decades to have a public school education. Whilst cracking down on the poorest harder then any of his contemporaries. Leaking right wing supporter after hitting iceberg UKIP. But like MacBeth he's being saved by 3 witches and he didn't have to travel to a blasted heath. Because the debates in this election haven't been between the 3 major parties. They've been between Red Ed and the rather graceless 3 graces. People wanted 3 female leaders of parties in the debates and they got them. Shame one of them can't even lead her own regional assembly (Wood, really that's like not being able to persuade your mum to vote for you in a bonniest baby contest), Bennett (whos policies could only be realised by an actual revoloution) and Sturgeon (who's policies couldn't be any more parochial if she was running for Craggy Island parish council). Leaving Ed fighting an unending guerilla war with the rest of the opposition. And no there won't be a Labour/SNP coalition....no Westminster MP will be dictated to by Hollyrood. And when SNP say they want control over Trident that's what they're saying, especially when they plan on independence in 5 years it's more of a one night stand (well think more Pretty Woman...) And Cameron doesn't turn up, how often do you ever see him debating, being interviewed actually being grilled. He looks like a raw pink sausage and leads like one. He stands back smirking whilst Ed ressemble a new young Rabbi or Vicar being picked on by the ladies guild. Clegg and Farrage take all the right wing flack like an armoured Cameronian pair of Yfronts. And Cameron stands back looking bored, as he drifts inevitably towards victory. A thane of Cawdor who doesn't even need to wash his or his wifes hands....there's no blood on them.

Quote: Stylee TingTing @ 1st May 2015, 3:39 AM BST

Well, Gussie, welcome to the Colosseum. Always good to meet a new right-winger.

No, it's four countries, three of which loathe the other one.

They all don't, but I do..

That's me again..

That's "muy católico".

Oh boy. No they don't. They all understand Castilian (they have to - it's the ruling classes language), but Castilians don't understand any of the others and don't want to..and nobody but the Basques understands the Basque language.

That's the Basques.

It's not national, it's regionalised.

No, they don't all. Flamenco too is regionalised.. and indeed, looked down upon by others.

And quite ignorant and racist ones, too!

Well, you certainly don't.

So, I'm racist?
Hmm. Interesting.
I disagree with you. Thus, I'm worse than Hitler, right?
Mao and Stalin had nothing on me.... in fact I'm Himmler's love child.
Especially of course as the Spaniards represent a distinct 'race' as such.

But then you will know better, casting yourself as the great humanist, no doubt. The bulwark to the fascist menace that is Gussie Funk Nottle.
Maybe I ought to introduce you to Roderick Spode....

And should I have misspelled, I don't speak Spanish. I saw no need to Google it in order to pretend I did.

Of course my post was meant rather lightheartedly, but as I'm now a racist, I think that notion has now gone by the wayside.
Thanks for that, Mr or Mrs (Ms?) Pingpong.

As for those regions all being separate and all hating the Castilians; yes, of course, Ferdinand and Isabella were only last week.
It's not as though we're talking about a nation which has been one for centuries.

Nobody in Spain likes wine or olive oil, flamenco, bulls and what-not. Only those domineering Castilians.
The other 'nations' therein all are devout followers of the Orthodox Church, eat polenta and humus, like cockerels and dance in lederhosen.

Yes, I bet no-one understands Basque! Just as nobody understands Welsh, Gaelic or Cornish. And we know how widespread they are - among their own.
(Who'd forget the road sign in Wales bearing a telephone message?) :)

There is a parallel of course between Spain and Britain.
A hate figure.
In Britain it was Thatcher, in Spain it was Franco.
This hatred appears still to be a primary driver in much of these separatist phenomena. This, despite both being long gone.

But no doubt you'll disagree. And be right.

Bye bye, Mr or Mrs Pingping. :)

Quote: sootyj @ 1st May 2015, 9:45 AM BST

This election increasingly reminds me of MacBeth. With Cameron in the role of Thane of Cawdor. He entered this election at a big disadvantage; the first Conservative PM in 4 decades to have a public school education. Whilst cracking down on the poorest harder then any of his contemporaries. Leaking right wing supporter after hitting iceberg UKIP. But like MacBeth he's being saved by 3 witches and he didn't have to travel to a blasted heath. Because the debates in this election haven't been between the 3 major parties. They've been between Red Ed and the rather graceless 3 graces. People wanted 3 female leaders of parties in the debates and they got them. Shame one of them can't even lead her own regional assembly (Wood, really that's like not being able to persuade your mum to vote for you in a bonniest baby contest), Bennett (whos policies could only be realised by an actual revoloution) and Sturgeon (who's policies couldn't be any more parochial if she was running for Craggy Island parish council). Leaving Ed fighting an unending guerilla war with the rest of the opposition. And no there won't be a Labour/SNP coalition....no Westminster MP will be dictated to by Hollyrood. And when SNP say they want control over Trident that's what they're saying, especially when they plan on independence in 5 years it's more of a one night stand (well think more Pretty Woman...) And Cameron doesn't turn up, how often do you ever see him debating, being interviewed actually being grilled. He looks like a raw pink sausage and leads like one. He stands back smirking whilst Ed ressemble a new young Rabbi or Vicar being picked on by the ladies guild. Clegg and Farrage take all the right wing flack like an armoured Cameronian pair of Yfronts. And Cameron stands back looking bored, as he drifts inevitably towards victory. A thane of Cawdor who doesn't even need to wash his or his wifes hands....there's no blood on them.

Not sure Sturgeon, Bennett and that Plaid Cymru (did I get that right?) woman qualify as witches. They just don't fit the part to my mind.
I can think of two, especially by temperament, who'd fit the bill; Theresa May and Harriet Harman. But that's only two. And they don't really fit into your model.

And there's no blood on those hands? Hmmm, he has done quite a bit of bombing here and there...

You slightly misunderstand, I mean they are the agents of our misfortune and his good fortune.

I'm still chewing over the piece about the Scottish play. It could in parts be very inspired. However, Leanne Wood sounds just like Nerys Hughes would have sounded if she had been proper Welsh.

Here is a question.

Which party leader rescued one parent from a car crash while the other one sadly died there?

And here's another.

Which party leader sadly experienced the suicide of a partner due to a drugs overdose from antidepressants for chronic fatigue syndrome?

Clue - neither had a son called Ivan.

Quote: sootyj @ 1st May 2015, 5:54 PM BST

You slightly misunderstand, I mean they are the agents of our misfortune and his good fortune.

Of course, I misunderstand.
I tend to misunderstand most, if not everything. (excepting newts, that is) :)

Just look how I misunderstand the Spaniards. Er, sorry, the Basques, Balearic Islanders, and what-not... :D