New Spike Milligan doc. + Q clips

An absolute must for me "Spike Milligan: Love, Light And Peace" on BBC4 this Wed. at 9pm followed by highlights of the Q series (Assorted Q) with further the following evening at the same time.

https://www.comedy.co.uk/tv/milligan_love_light_peace/

I saw it advertised in The Radio Times (no, before you ask, I haven't ordered the special leather cover to protect it....yet) and there was also an article about Spike's life and legacy. You have reminded me to set the TiVo to record. Great stuff.

Very 1950s, the leather cover! And very chic. :D

And nice to know there is another (?) SM fan on this site - only one though? :(

Both set-top recorders set - thanks for the heads up Wave

Not so Herc, I have read every book he wrote. The war diary series being some of the best and funniest/sad I have ever read.

Love, Light and Peace is how the Milligna used to sign off letters.

Quote: Paul Wimsett @ 8th December 2014, 8:22 AM GMT

Love, Light and Peace is how the Milligna used to sign off letters.

The well known spelling error. :D

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 8th December 2014, 7:25 AM GMT

Not so Herc, I have read every book he wrote. The war diary series being some of the best and funniest/sad I have ever read.

Nice to know Steve. :)

Very long time since I have read it, but have you read Puckoon?

I've got all seven volumes of his war-time trilogy.

Milligan being spoken about by Michael Palin.
Then Q series' highlights.
I'll be in comedy Heaven tomorrow night!

I love Spike too. The War Diaries are great.

Watching it now. It's great in its silliness - especially the musical stuff.

A really interesting documentary for so many reasons and it was good to see Millican talking openly about his depressive episodes. A couple of things stuck in my craw though: his first marriage ended after his wife had put up with an awful lot from him and then sought solace in another relationship. For that she was deprived of her children, who still refer to her by her forename instead of the usual endearment. Milligan also had illegitimate children, but they weren't referred to.

There was a slightly more balanced documentary about him broadcast on Sky Arts a couple of years ago which referenced more of his difficult nature than this one did. As I seem to recall it did feature talking heads from his daughters and was all the better for it.

Quote: TheBlueNun @ 12th December 2014, 2:55 PM GMT

A really interesting documentary for so many reasons and it was good to see Millican

Sarah's depressed!?! :O She seems such a jolly person........... :P

But seriously folks, yes it was interesting to see bits of the family album, but have seen better docs., which I have saved on DVD - I don't think I will with this one.

He is still my main man though despite everything - a genuine comedy genius.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 12th December 2014, 10:11 PM GMT

Sarah's depressed!?! :O She seems such a jolly person........... :P

But seriously folks, yes it was interesting to see bits of the family album, but have seen better docs., which I have saved on DVD - I don't think I will with this one.

He is still my main man though despite everything - a genuine comedy genius.

If I had a pound for every time somebody said that I looked like Sarah Millican then I'd be at least £14 richer than I currently am. Actually, Ms Millican was quite seriously depressed following the departure of her first husband.

The 90 minute documentary seemed to skip a fair few issues though.