DIY Page 4

Quote: billwill @ 18th September 2014, 1:31 PM BST

If your main 'fuse' box in fact has RCD (residual current detectors) in it, he could indeed have "done it from here" by shorting the neutral (blue, new colour or black, old colour) to one of the earth wires. Not a desirable practice to to do though.

However though you saw something ON, he might have already turned off the lighting sub-circuit. He probably knew what he was doing, careless electriciand don't live long.

Ah, interesting. I asked him twice because it seemed so important. I think the "I've done it" was the first answer and "from here" was the second. I didn't quite get that second one as it was mumbled. I sensed a slight irritability about the question being asked again, not that he didn't seem decent and professional.

I felt he did know what he was doing by his approach to it. Thanks billwill for that additional information. :)

Industrial electricity control boxes, often have loops, through which you can put a padlock on it to prevent it being turned on. Each electrician adds his own padlock to the loop while working on the circuit, so the electricity can only be turned back on when ALL the electricians have removed their padlocks.

Quote: billwill @ 18th September 2014, 1:46 PM BST

Industrial electricity control boxes, often have loops, through which you can put a padlock on it to prevent it being turned on. Each electrician adds his own padlock to the loop while working on the circuit, so the electricity can only be turned back on when ALL the electricians have removed their padlocks.

Sensible, simple, effective.

One report I got at school aged 12 said "he will never be a scientist" and the other comments were even more damning. That did turn out to be true but I've noticed I can at least visualise and begin to comprehend things of this kind in a way I never could have done at 30. Part of it is age and part of it work experience. But I also think it has to be done on someone's own terms. I would once have thought "physics....aaaargh" whereas now I tend to come at it naturally from a language or mapping sort of perspective. It's interesting.

Too deep for me folks..........

Now, to certain things.........

Grip the sponge firmly, stand legs akimbo and say, with anticipatory confidence "I can do this"

We'll come to the physics of soapy water by and by.

If you were interested in the description of the padlock above, you might be interested in reading this article.

It shows a gadget that can accommodate 6 padlocks, which is used if the actual main electricity switch was designed for only one padlock.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lockout-tagout

And you know what happens in reality don't you billwill.

One electrician goes home forgetting to take his padlock off.

He can't be contacted and so the bolt croppers come out - no more multi-padlock device to use.

I once saw 4 electricians taken for a ride down a conveyor system because of bolt croppers being used. They were all thrown to the floor at the end of the conveyors (one still up some step-ladders)

Was anything done about it - NO! just bollockings and shouting.

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 19th September 2014, 1:06 PM BST

They were all thrown to the floor at the end of the conveyors (one still up some step-ladders) Laughing out loud

Sorry Stephen, but that made me laugh and I know I shouldn't - can't help thinking Laurel and Hardy.

To be honest (apart from the danger) it was comical.
They came off one at a time. One managed to land running, two straight on their backsides and on top of each other. Then they scrambled out of the way for the man on the ladders. He was frozen with fear and just toppled over like going over Niagara falls.

When it was realised that no one was hurt there was much laughing for weeks afterwards.

No matter how many precautions or safety measures are installed someone will find a way to thwart them.

Glad no one was hurt - if you see any of them, tell them it gave a good laugh. Laughing out loud

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 19th September 2014, 1:06 PM BST

And you know what happens in reality don't you billwill.

One electrician goes home forgetting to take his padlock off.

He can't be contacted and so the bolt croppers come out - no more multi-padlock device to use.

I once saw 4 electricians taken for a ride down a conveyor system because of bolt croppers being used. They were all thrown to the floor at the end of the conveyors (one still up some step-ladders)

Was anything done about it - NO! just bollockings and shouting.

:D

I have a very lovely 70s serving hatch in my kitchen through to the lounge, even better so it's arched and has a lovely little varnvished shelf on the bottom. Well at least it did have, as I've just ripped it out, unfortunately damaging some of the plaster *grumble grumble*

Any (cheap and easy) ideas on how I cover up this serving hatch? Do I brick it and plasterboard or just plasterboard? It's not very big 70cm (27.5") x 50cm (19.7") high.

Stick a TV in it then you have something to watch while making your sandwiches.

Quote: Lee @ 22nd September 2014, 11:38 AM BST

I have a very lovely 70s serving hatch in my kitchen through to the lounge, even better so it's arched and has a lovely little varnvished shelf on the bottom. Well at least it did have, as I've just ripped it out, unfortunately damaging some of the plaster *grumble grumble*

Any (cheap and easy) ideas on how I cover up this serving hatch? Do I brick it and plasterboard or just plasterboard? It's not very big 70cm (27.5") x 50cm (19.7") high.

Depending on whether you think you might change your mind :D - either. In not having to mix cement, plasterboard might be cleaner and should be quite easy to plaster as it is not a very large area and you can use the walls as I guide to skim it with a good straight edge of some sort - old spirit level? Piece of solid wood?

You could just plasterboard and cover it with quality lining paper.

Hope that helps. :)

Thanks for the tips, Herc. But I just got a plasterer in to do it. :D

:) Wish I was rich.