Phil Me In: Advert! Monkey! Drums and Chocolate!

People kept going on at me about this damn advert, which I've never seen on telly. So I just youtubed it and,

Laughing out loud

It's great, although, it would've been better if I'd of NOT known was going to happen.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=XdO2aYfQa6I

Yeah, first time I saw it I heard the music, then when I realised it was still going on, glanced up at the TV and saw the gorilla. Bloody odd!

But good. Very good.

Metro revealed the identity of the guy in the suit yesterday. Some unknown actor.

I don't agree. It's the sort of terrible idea you have all the time if you do a line of coke before three pink wafer biscuits - ie, you're attending a brainstorming session at a top advertising agency.

My friend is obsessed with this advert-and it must do its job because thats the only Chocolate he buys now!

Quote: Godot Taxis @ September 12, 2007, 6:46 PM

I don't agree. It's the sort of terrible idea you have all the time if you do a line of coke before three pink wafer biscuits - ie, you're attending a brainstorming session at a top advertising agency.

Whatever method they used to come up with the idea (coke probably was involved) there's no denying the advert has achieved its aim: to get people talking about Cadburys. There you see - I've mentioned the brand so the advert has worked! (Although did anyone else think this had something to do with iPods at first?)

Carburys need to give that advert agency more money - that YouTube video Leevil linked to has been watched 80,000+ plus times and I notice there's another there that's been watched 200,000+ times. Most companies can only dream of coming up with an advert people actually deliberately seek out to watch.

It's the same with Barry Scott - at first I thought it was a terrible advert but if you asked me to name a household cleaner now the first thing I'd say is "Cillit Bang" so in that sense the advert has done its job.

(Just to say though Godot, in the main I do agree with you about the creativity of advertisers - there's a number of adverts on TV that have clearly been cobbled together at 5pm when the brainstorming team realise they've spent the whole day down the pub but not got back to the client yet with their idea).

Do you think when Barry Scott goes shopping he says stuff like "HI I'M BARRY SCOTT! I'LL HAVE A COUPLE OF PORK CHOPS PLEASE! HOPE YOU DON'T MIND BEING PAID IN SHINY PENNIES!".........

haha! I thought I was the only one who thought that!