BSG AWARDS

I've been thinking - and I have to be really careful here - but we often have discussions on our fave comedies, actors etc.

I had 2 ideas - first probably impractical but thesecond could work.

How about - say at the end of the year - we each vote on our favourite show, actor, actress etc. and then publicise it. Maybe - although it would cost money - we could actually send thge winners their trophy thereby publicising this site and also showing our gratitude to those who make us laugh etc.

The second could be more realistic - voting for our favourite sketch submitted here, favourite writer etc.

(Lots of etc's here)

Maybe even have an awards ceremony in a pub somewhere.

Or is this to close to what they were criticising the 4Laughssite for?

Go on - tell me these ideas are a load of crap!

https://www.comedy.co.uk/features/awards2006.php

Why not?

Quote: David Chapman @ September 10, 2007, 12:57 PM

I've been thinking - and I have to be really careful here...

Laughing out loud Tremendously funny Dave/Lee one of the few things on this site that has really made me laugh out loud!

Thanks guys!

He he

Its a good idea David. Comedians/writers/producers love free publicity

Quote: Frankie Rage @ September 10, 2007, 1:29 PM

Laughing out loud Tremendously funny Dave/Lee

Don't forget Travis.

Travis are best forgot!

Quote: David Chapman @ September 10, 2007, 12:57 PM

How about - say at the end of the year - we each vote on our favourite show, actor, actress etc. and then publicise it.

As Leevil has linked to, we ran a fairly successful 'trial' awards last year. We asked everyone to vote for their favourite sitcoms etc of 2006 (here's the link again).

This year (well, Jan 2008) we will once again be holding a vote (although they will be titled the British Comedy Guide Awards by then!) - it'll be bigger and better. We'll be introducing some more categories (actors etc) and publicising things a bit more. We reach a lot more people than we did last year so we should get a lot of votes in fingers crossed.

My aim this year is to get the results mentioned in a couple of the papers - that'll make me happy.

In five years or so we might be at a stage where we can actually start inviting stars along to a physical awards ceremony or something... but that's a bit far away yet.

And 'The Leevil' goes to (drum roll).... Sally Bretton! Well done Sally, you don't win an actual award, but I do have a trophy down my trousers.

Quote: Leevil @ September 10, 2007, 3:43 PM

And 'The Leevil' goes to (drum roll).... Sally Bretton! Well done Sally, you don't win an actual award, but I do have a trophy down my trousers.

Ha ha ha - on second thoughts perhaps inviting the stars to a bash a few years from now would be un-wise: a lawsuit in the making!

But yeah, it's a good idea Mark and by the time this plan comes to fruition, I will be one of the stars ;)

Quote: Leevil @ September 10, 2007, 1:06 PM

https://www.comedy.co.uk/features/awards2006.php

Just in case David didn't see it the first time. Rolling eyes

Quote: Mark @ September 10, 2007, 3:39 PM

As Leevil has linked to, we ran a fairly successful 'trial' awards last year. We asked everyone to vote for their favourite sitcoms etc of 2006 (here's the link again).

This year (well, Jan 2008) we will once again be holding a vote (although they will be titled the British Comedy Guide Awards by then!) - it'll be bigger and better. We'll be introducing some more categories (actors etc) and publicising things a bit more. We reach a lot more people than we did last year so we should get a lot of votes in fingers crossed.

My aim this year is to get the results mentioned in a couple of the papers - that'll make me happy.

In five years or so we might be at a stage where we can actually start inviting stars along to a physical awards ceremony or something... but that's a bit far away yet.

Its a great way of getting publicity, what you should try and do is have more regular polls than once a year. You always hear certain groups that get mentioned all the time in the media for their polls. So those awards could be still once a year but you could have a series of one-off polls such as:
Best UK sitcom ever
Best non-UK sitcom ever
Best sitcom male ever
Best sitcom female ever
Worst for all of them too...

If you wanted more regular ones you could do a BCG rating (like IMDB do for movies) at the end of every series of a new sitcom. "BCG give [sitcom] thumbs up" etc. Just some ideas off the top of my head.

Quote: Leevil @ September 10, 2007, 3:43 PM

Plenty of room then..... :D

Yes, I really should stop wearing these clown pants. But normal ones don't seem to fit.