Quote: Dave @ September 12, 2007, 7:28 PM

A great idea for a thread!

8.30: Hancock - The Missing Page
9.00: Please, Sir - They're Off
9.30: Whatever Happened to the Likely Lads - The Great Race
10.00: Yes, Prime Minister - The Key
10.30: Fathed Ted - A Song for Europe
11.00: One Foot in the Grave - Tales of Terror

Great choices there Dave. The Please Sir episode is great, Geoffery Hughes is in it. I vaguely remember the Hancock episode and quite a good one, don't remember that WHTTLL episode, what happened in that?, I liked Yes Minister but wasn't too keen on Yes Prime Minister, but I vaguely remember watching an episode with that title (can't remember what happened in it), Father Ted "A Song For Europe" was brilliant, I love the music video what Ted is dreaming and yes the "One Foot in the Grave" episode was great.

Quote: Jack Massey @ September 12, 2007, 9:00 PM

Great choices there Dave. The Please Sir episode is great, Geoffery Hughes is in it. I vaguely remember the Hancock episode and quite a good one, don't remember that WHTTLL episode, what happened in that?, I liked Yes Minister but wasn't too keen on Yes Prime Minister, but I vaguely remember watching an episode with that title (can't remember what happened in it), Father Ted "A Song For Europe" was brilliant, I love the music video what Ted is dreaming and yes the "One Foot in the Grave" episode was great.

Hi Jack,

Please, Sir was great, wasn't it! As I'm only 18, I wasn't around when it was first on, but Mum got me a four-video box set - it's on Amazon.

The Whatever Happened to ... episode was a great one. It reminded me of No Hiding Place as it wasn't like a serial - just one great original idea explored for 30 minutes. (Also, Thelma wasn't in it - so it could have easily have been one of the sixties episodes). What happens is, Bob and Terry bet that they can beat the other in a bicycle race. Frolics involving the tampering of gears etc ensues. At one point, Terry cheats and gets a free lift on board a jeep. Such great writing - a classic episode. Another episode of Whatever Happened To that sticks in my mind is when Bob gets done for drink driving and, arrested, goes to the police station - where Terry is being held for fighting the pub, I think. Bob needs to give a urine sample to prove he isn't drunk - so Terry offers to give HIS urine sample instead as he isn't the one who's got alchahol in his blood. A great, almost single scene episode. But then The Likely Lads was always filled with classic episodes.

That Yes, Prime Minsister episode is probably the most simplistic - which suits me down to the ground! In it, Humphrey is getting a bit too familiar with No 10 and keeps popping round from the Cabinet Building every five minutes, so Jim Hacker's advicer suggests that Jim clips his wings a bit by taking away Humphrey's key. He gets Bernard to it - who's very reluctant as Humphrey puts the fear of God into him! Humphrey, being Humphrey, doesn't like the fact that he can't get through the red door between the Cabinet Building and Number 10 and at one point starts kicking the red door furiously, "Open this door! Open this BLOODY door!" In the end, he climbs onto the balcony outside Number 10 and comes in through the windows, dully setting the deafening security alarms off in the process. It's a great episode and is filled with the hallmarks of Yes, Minsiter/Yes, Prime Minister i.e Humphrey's long monologues.

In 2004, I memorised one of these monologues - it took me three days! I can still remember it even now.

I love the "My Lovely Horse" bit too - and Father Dick Burn's performance - "The Miracle Is Mine" is good too. He sings a big production ballad and Ted's mouth falls open in amazement. Hilarious!

The One Foot episode included a vastly underated segment when a brick wall is built in Victor's bedroom doorway and he has to pee through a hosepipe. Classic, I think you'll agree!

For me, the best scene in YPM was of course the run down of who reads the papers. :D

And wow, what a coincidence! That WHTTLL episode is actually the only one I've seen! Very, very funny stuff. Good choice! :)

(BTW, only 18?! That's some good taste there for someone so young. A young(er) me in training! :D)

Quote: Aaron @ September 12, 2007, 11:41 PM

(BTW, only 18?! That's some good taste there for someone so young. A young(er) me in training! :D)

I thought you were about 14?

50s Bilko
60s Dad's Army
70s Fawlty
80s Police Squad
90s People Like Us
00s Coupling

Quote: Aaron @ September 12, 2007, 11:41 PM

For me, the best scene in YPM was of course the run down of who reads the papers. :D

I'm glad you mentioned that bit, Aaron - it's one of my favourite moments. Anthony Jay and Jonathan Lynn are at their best when they make satirical observations like that.

Quote: Leevil @ September 13, 2007, 12:06 AM

I thought you were about 14?

I think that that was Robyn's brother.

What him too?

Yes...

Errr

Quote: Dave @ September 12, 2007, 9:22 PM

Hi Jack,

Please, Sir was great, wasn't it! As I'm only 18, I wasn't around when it was first on, but Mum got me a four-video box set - it's on Amazon.

Yes excellent, so many great charactors. A great Theme Tune too. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PuTBUIE6Mnk

8.30 no idea
9.00 Dad's Army-The episode where therekidnapped by the u boat captain "Don't tell him Pike"
9.30 the good life- The weather vane episode or the wife swapping episode
10.00 To the manor born- the last episode
10.30 As time goes by - any episode
11.00 My family

50s Bilko.
60s Steptoe.
70s Man about the house.
80s Only fools.
90s Father Ted.
2000 Not going out.

Hardest decade to choose from has to be the 70s, there were some great sitoms then, mainly on channel 3.

Quote: emma dargue @ November 8, 2007, 4:36 PM

8.30 no idea
9.00 Dad's Army-The episode where therekidnapped by the u boat captain "Don't tell him Pike"
11.00 My family

That episode of Dads Army was in the seventies, nor the sixties

Quote: emma dargue @ November 8, 2007, 4:36 PM

8.30 no idea
11.00 My family

Hi Emma - Some good choices there! :)

50s Hancock
60s Dad's Army
70s Fawlty Towers
80s Police Squad
90s Father Ted
00s Not Going Out