The Sitcom Mission 2014 Page 15

Quote: Declan @ 7th May 2014, 10:49 PM BST

Ok, thanks for your patience, after a long discussion, we've decided to longlist 10. Those we're going with are:

Adapting - Rob Bond
Notworking Blog - Ian Price
Warts and All - James Alleyne
Return to Sender - Jen Cockburn
Black Cab Detectives - Laura Harvey
G Street - Anna Brook-Mitchell and Angela Nesi
Mostly Human - Joanne Lau and Mat Rees
Negative Feedback - Michael Bailey
Roland - Michael Orton-Toliver
Becky the Squirrel - Alan Zmud

As you can see, it was a difficult decision which is why we've gone for 10 that we're eventually going to narrow down to 4 for the showcase. We'll be listing the other 22 that got into the top 32 in the next couple of days and sending out bullet-point feedback to them and Bronze entry feedback in the next week or so.

Thanks again to everyone who took the time and effort to enter. We really appreciate it and you have our utmost respect.

Declan and Simon
The Sitcom Mission

You have got five women on the list so clearly this isn't about comedy anymore! Good luck to those through!
:)

We'll be listing the other 22 that got into the top 32 in the next couple of days

Please be in the top 32, please be in the top 32!

;)

Well done everyone in that list.
Some nice titles there.

Mike

Ok, thanks for your patience, after a long discussion, we've decided to longlist 10. Those we're going with are:

Adapting - Rob Bond
Notworking Blog - Ian Price
Warts and All - James Alleyne
Return to Sender - Jen Cockburn
Black Cab Detectives - Laura Harvey
G Street - Anna Brook-Mitchell and Angela Nesi
Mostly Human - Joanne Lau and Mat Rees
Negative Feedback - Michael Bailey
Roland - Michael Orton-Toliver
Becky the Squirrel - Alan Zmud

As you can see, it was a difficult decision which is why we've gone for 10 that we're eventually going to narrow down to 4 for the showcase. We'll be listing the other 22 that got into the top 32 in the next couple of days and sending out bullet-point feedback to them and Bronze entry feedback in the next week or so.

Thanks again to everyone who took the time and effort to enter. We really appreciate it and you have our utmost respect.

Declan and Simon
The Sitcom Mission

Really gutted I haven't got in as I thought my sitcom was really funny. Would love to see what you guys think is funny and to see what the winning scripts are like. Be really interested to read the feedback. Just to clarify is there anything in particular that these sitcoms had for example violence, slapstick, sexual references etc that the others had.

As obviuosly is what you guys like and think is funny even if we have a quality script. Be great for future reference. Hopefully am in the top 32 etc as a nice consolation.

:D

Quote: woodsy @ 8th May 2014, 9:44 AM BST

Really gutted I haven't got in as I thought my sitcom was really funny. Would love to see what you guys think is funny and to see what the winning scripts are like. Be really interested to read the feedback. Just to clarify is there anything in particular that these sitcoms had for example violence, slapstick, sexual references etc that the others had.

As obviuosly is what you guys like and think is funny even if we have a quality script. Be great for future reference. Hopefully am in the top 32 etc as a nice consolation.

Maybe they couldn't see Woods for the trees? Just a thought.

Well you would think that yours was funny, it'd be a bit of a problem if you didn't.

I wasn't expecting anything, didn't have time to finish a new project so had to enter an old one, shame really. By didn't have time I mean bottled releasing it into the wide world.

Begrudging congratulations to the top 10.

Well done top 10 ! Good luck for the rest of the comp.
I am hoping "Return to Sender" is set in a funeral Directors :)

Quote: Paul Wimsett @ 8th May 2014, 9:56 AM BST

Maybe they couldn't see Woods for the trees? Just a thought.

Lol or maybe they did andthat's the problem :D

Quote: JSmash @ 8th May 2014, 10:16 AM BST

Well you would think that yours was funny, it'd be a bit of a problem if you didn't.

I wasn't expecting anything, didn't have time to finish a new project so had to enter an old one, shame really. By didn't have time I mean bottled releasing it into the wide world.

Begrudging congratulations to the top 10.

You're right lol I mean I did put a lot of effort in, just makes you wonder what the shortlisted ones are like compared to the ones that didnt make it. Well done everyone though and the feedback should be interesting

Quote: Mattytheswan @ 8th May 2014, 10:37 AM BST

Well done top 10 ! Good luck for the rest of the comp.
I am hoping "Return to Sender" is set in a funeral Directors :)

Thats the one title that struck me I would say great minds think alike but that would be putting you down as I barely have a mind at times.

Quote: Marc P @ 8th May 2014, 8:31 AM BST

You have got five women on the list so clearly this isn't about comedy anymore! Good luck to those through!

:O

Please don't be gutted - Sitcommission is the start, not the end of the road. Did you get feedback from them?

If not, get some. Re-write your arse off and get it out to other people who might be interested in it.

But always view your work objectively, be willing to change the whole thing if required and accept criticism.

Weirdly enough, I always found "being funny" the easiest part of writing. Not because I am naturally hilarious, but because you can learn how to tell jokes. Rule of three, reversal of expectation blah blah blah. There is a science behind comedy.

What is hard is the rest of it - structure, character, plot.

Congratulations to all the shortlisted scripts!

Quote: Marc P @ 8th May 2014, 8:31 AM BST

Good to see light-hearted misogyny alive and well, and when I say good, I of course mean get your head out of your ass ;)

Marc P's got more than 5 women on his list.

Coincidentally it's the same list as Norfolk's serious crimes squad, has on it's list of mutilated, sex workers bodies found on the beach.

Is reversal of expectation a euphemism?

I dunno but Reversal of Fortune is a great film.

A reversal of expectation is always good with a great ending.

I'm opening a new massage parlour could you give me an endorsment

Quote: Marc P @ 8th May 2014, 12:53 PM BST

always good with a great ending.

it's not that sort of service.

Quote: Jennie @ 8th May 2014, 12:21 PM BST

:O

Please don't be gutted - Sitcommission is the start, not the end of the road. Did you get feedback from them?

If not, get some. Re-write your arse off and get it out to other people who might be interested in it.

But always view your work objectively, be willing to change the whole thing if required and accept criticism.

Weirdly enough, I always found "being funny" the easiest part of writing. Not because I am naturally hilarious, but because you can learn how to tell jokes. Rule of three, reversal of expectation blah blah blah. There is a science behind comedy.

What is hard is the rest of it - structure, characer, plot.
Congratulations to all the shortlisted scripts!

Thats great advice and I will keep writing. I do have one script in development at the moment and that has taught me harsh lessons on re-writing as im on my sixth draft. I did order feedback so really looking forward to that and hopefully get to hear or see the finalists scripts if they come up. :D