Should Only Fools and Horses return? Page 3

Dave, I've probably said this before somewhere, but I think you're making a mistake there that far too many people are.

In short, you can't fairly compare OFAH and TGGG like that. Aside from the characters having originated in OFAH, and the occasional reference, there's little-to-nothing to link the two. They're different stylistically, in humour, and target audience, albeit to different extents.

Fair enough that if you don't like it, you just don't like it. Whether it's related to another show or not isn't going to make a difference, and I think we all respect that. But to base the criticism on comparing it against another show like that is, IMO, just plan unfair.

Besides, nothing will ever measure up to OFAH in the eyes of those who really love it!

Quote: Dave @ September 12, 2007, 7:10 PM

It's impossible - to a colossal degree - to think of even one classic episode of The Green Green Grass. So why does it keep getting commissoned?

Christmas 2006. Brilliant episode. Classic British farce, intricately woven. That makes a classic as far as I'm concerned.

I see you're point, Aaron. The comparison I was making was brought about not just by two of the characters originating from OFAH, but that they were both written by John Sullivan. I could make the same comparison using Dear John or Just Good Friends as examples. Or Heartburn Hotel, but I've only seen three episodes.

Pity that ended, actually, of what I saw of it - it was good. I don't know how far down the creative ladder Sullivan had fallen by 1998 and 2000, though.

Dear John... is, in my opinion, actually probably better than OFAH. But then, perhaps I'm drawing unfair comparisons in order to make that judgement...

Yeah, Dear John was great. It was a tragic that Ralph Bates died. It certainly had the potential to be a long lasting sictom. More so than Just Good Friends as will-they-won't-they plotlines don't go on forever. I know a third series had been planned. On the other hand, Roger Roger didn't continue and no such tragedy occured there. I've only ever seen the three episodes from 2003.

The only problem with Dear John is the fact that it only went on for two series. There's a tendency with short-lived programmes to loose steam on repeat viewings. I probably won't be able to see Fawlty Towers for another five years, for example.

Kirk was my favourite character in Dear John. In retrospect, the series finale (a.k.a the Christmas special) was good as it revealed that Kirk really was a shy person called Eric Morris and not the brash and up front Kirk St Moritz.

I'm not a big fan of GGG, I saw a couple of the first ones and gave up as it just didn't cut it for me.

As to whether they should bring back OFAH, the answer is an absolute NO. It was a great comedy in its hayday and brought millions of families together round the TV set at the time.

What we need to do now is concentrate on new Sitcoms like the IT Crowd.

:)

Quite agree. In its day it was very, very good - but that was 10+ years ago and latterly the ageing Del & Rodney didn't seem right at all, at all. Favourite line: "Who's there?" "Knock-Knock!".

Wii Man: Some posters seem to think The IT Crowd is just a remake of Father Ted though, so is it new?

I've seen lots of FT but none of The IT Crowd...

And conversely, I've seen all of The IT Crowd, but very little of Father Ted!

Eh?

Father Ted is about a couple of Vicars living on an island in the middle of knowhere and the IT Crowd is about the trials and tribulations of working as an IT Technician for a small company.

I have all of FT on DVD and IT Crowd Version 1.0 (AKA Series 1) and they are nothing like each other. The only thing they have in common is they are both very, very funny!

Priests, ahem.

Quote: wii-man76 @ September 26, 2007, 10:41 PM

Eh?

Father Ted is about a couple of Vicars living on an island in the middle of knowhere and the IT Crowd is about the trials and tribulations of working as an IT Technician for a small company.

I have all of FT on DVD and IT Crowd Version 1.0 (AKA Series 1) and they are nothing like each other. The only thing they have in common is they are both very, very funny!

Yes, they say different situations but the same characters (with different names and faces, of course)... I can agree about FT ... hilariously funny but I'll have to take your word for it about The IT Crowd as I have only read what others have said, sadly not seen it yet...

No telly...

Quote: Frankie Rage @ September 26, 2007, 10:47 PM

No telly...

Well I have a telly, its just I moved it across the room about 9 months ago and the aerial cable doesn't reach and I haven't bothered getting a longer one as of yet!

If it's not in my DVD collection then I tend not to get to see it unless I happen to be round a mates house who has their TV on!

;)

I would actually die without TV.

I don't watch that much tv any more, but it would be scary without one.

I don't have all that much time to watch TV and as I only have terrestrial, there's not normally anything worth watching when i want to watch TV so I tend to buy the odd DVD (400+ and counting) so I can watch something I will definately enjoy whenever I happen to fancy it.

At the moment I have Blackadder Goes Forth on in the background as I check out what's happening to my items on eBay and checking out this forum!

They have just done the Rat o Van joke!

Fantastic comedy at its best. :)