Should Only Fools and Horses return? Page 2

Don't bring it back. I used to love it and its on all the time on various stations at the moment but I just can't bringmyself to watch it.

Nick Lyndhurst probablyneedsit more than anyone because quite honestly everything he's done since has been crap.

Let it lie!

I've always been a huge fan of the show, but I really hope they don't make any more.

The BBC should, in theory, be the best channel in the world, it shouldn't have to regurgitate old shows, although I agree with your point.

Just look at other shows like, The Blue Planet and other things along those lines, it is capable of producing quality productions. It should be setting the bench marks, not "playing it safe".

If they keep it original why not.

Quote: Leevil @ September 6, 2007, 4:29 PM

The BBC should, in theory, be the best channel in the world, it shouldn't have to regurgitate old shows, although I agree with your point.

Just look at other shows like, The Blue Planet and other things along those lines, it is capable of producing quality productions. It should be setting the bench marks, not "playing it safe".

Every type of comedy has its place, Lee.

I did see on the ofah website that there might be a comedy/drama series looking back at del boy's childhood. Personally i dont think it will work out but it would great to see how they would do it.

Is that your real name?

Quote: feck, arse, drink, girls, gobshite @ September 9, 2007, 1:55 PM

I did see on the ofah website that there might be a comedy/drama series looking back at del boy's childhood. Personally i dont think it will work out but it would great to see how they would do it.

Yes, there's been talk of that for many a year now. Apparently JS was actually writing it at one point, but I've not heard anything new on it since The Green Green Grass was announced. Admittedly I've not exactly kept up with the OFAH 'scene' though.

Im really looking forward to the next series of ggg. I think its having the same popularity level as ofah did, it wasnt until the 3/4 series that it was a success.

As other have said it should have ended it ’96 but it didn’t so I see no harm in returning again and again until it find the next ideal time to end.

Quote: feck, arse, drink, girls, gobshite @ September 11, 2007, 5:26 PM

Im really looking forward to the next series of ggg. I think its having the same popularity level as ofah did ...

I would strongly disagree with that. I think when something's popular, there tends to be word of mouth. You know, people saying, "Did you see it last night? It was so funny I thought I was going to fall of the couch at one point!" That kind of thing. I've only ever heard people say bad things about The Green Green Grass.

In reply to what Aaron said, JS was writing a script in 2005 and wasn't best pleased when David Jason pulled out at the last minute. Jason suddenly announced that he was too old for the role. Maybe JS had told him what the story would be ...

In next week's Radio Times, released today, Nick Lyndhurst promotes After You've Gone in the One Final Question interview on the last page.

Q: Any chance of another Only Fools and Horses Christmas special this Christmas?

A: I've always said I'd do another Fools tomorrow. But there are an awful lot of people involved in the decision-making.

In an interview from 2005 - promoting The Dresser - he was asked if he would do another special, to which he replied, "I'd do another series if the script was good."

I suppose we should be glad that David Jason and Nick Lyndhurst share our view on John Sullivan's current quality of writing and have wisely resisted a return to Peckham.

Quote: Dave @ September 11, 2007, 6:16 PM

In reply to what Aaron said, JS was writing a script in 2005 and wasn't best pleased when David Jason pulled out at the last minute. Jason suddenly announced that he was too old for the role. Maybe JS had told him what the story would be ...

I heard that he was meant to play his father, or an uncle or something. Certainly not Del again, as it'd be set when Del was around 18 ish.

Quote: Aaron @ September 11, 2007, 9:28 PM

I heard that he was meant to play his father, or an uncle or something. Certainly not Del again, as it'd be set when Del was around 18 ish.

Oh, you mean "Once Upon a Time In Peckham" - actually, that working title has now been dropped, but you mean the prequel. Well, that's now on the back burner while JS is conccentrating on The Green Green Grass. But I can't really see David Jason and Nick Lyndhurst doing the proposed cameo, really. It's a bit fanciful and cosy, IMHO. You know, one of those novelty ideas writers have in the justation period before they put pen to paper.

One of the ideas was to have Del in the present day, looking back. But now DJ says he too old, the whole prequel idea is now in the wilderness.

A prequel of a sitcom hasn't been done since "First of the Summer Wine" back in the late eighties. It ran for two series. I think JS needs a model to work with: He says Frasier inspired Only Fools, so he got all the spin-off dos-and-don'ts from that. Unfortunatly, GGG is so bad it's worlds apart from Frasier.

Quote: Dave @ September 11, 2007, 6:16 PM

I would strongly disagree with that. I think when something's popular, there tends to be word of mouth. You know, people saying, "Did you see it last night? It was so funny I thought I was going to fall of the couch at one point!" That kind of thing. I've only ever heard people say bad things about The Green Green Grass.

That's true.

At the start no-one knew Fools and Horses so it built up a following.

With Green Green Grass everyone who liked OFAH would have watched it to start with and the main characters everyone knows. Viewing figures I'm sure have tailed off from the first couple of episodes although I can't state that as fact.

The first ever episode of GGG got 9.4 million. A Christmas special was commisoned on the basis of those figures. I think you'll agree David - and everyone else - that it was more than a bit silly to do that, seeing as they could have waited a week and saw how the next episode did. The ratings dropped dramatically. Admitedly, the Nielson's rose for the fourth episode but quickly went down again and have continued to peak at approxamatly 2-3 million ever since.

Enough of dull numbers, it's quality can be best measured when compared to Only Fools in parallel. It's been two series and two Christmas specials for GGG now. By that time, Only Fools had notched up over a dozen classic episodes, namely, The Second Time Around, The Long Legs of the Law, Diamonds Are for Heather, Cash and Curry, A Losing Streak, Ashes to Ashes, The Russians Are Coming, Christmas Crackers, A Slow Bus to Chingford, Go West Young Man, The Yellow Peril, It Never Rains, Big Brother and perhaps most memorably of all, the "chandilier one" A Touch of Glass.

It's impossible - to a colossal degree - to think of even one classic episode of The Green Green Grass. So why does it keep getting commissoned?