The God Squad

Just had what is usually termed, The God Squad at the door.

Two very nice Jehovah witnesses who were friendly polite and not at all pushy.

They handed me leaflets and I told them I would read them and they took this as a sign that I was interested.
Even so, they left with a friendly wave.

I have read the books they gave me and all I could see was utter bunkum - bible quotes at every turn.

I'm not here to knock religion, I am aware it helps many people.
But, being an atheist, I do wonder what makes rational intelligent people believe enough to want to spend their days knocking on doors 'spreading the word'

I can understand that Muslims are indoctrinated from birth and when you are a child, you believe what you are told but Jehovah witnesses baffle me.

What is it that normal people will accept without question the word of a God - that was actually written by men.

Anyone care to enlighten me.

Aren't most Jehovah's Witnesses in it from birth too?

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ September 27 2013, 10:48 AM BST

I'm not here to knock religion, I am aware it helps many people.
But, being an atheist, I do wonder what makes rational intelligent people believe enough to want to spend their days knocking on doors 'spreading the word'

Evangelism is a key tenet of the Jehovah's Witnesses. That's why they're out knocking on doors; the more people they convert the better a Witness they've been.

Interestingly, Judaism is not a missionary faith and so doesn't actively try to convert people (in many countries anti-Jewish laws prohibited this for centuries).

The ones (of various religions) who stand on street corners and shout about Jesus are bloody annoying. I'm trying to shop! Stop shouting at me! They're as bad as those charity clipboard carrying bastards.

And it's just self serving, not one person has ever converted through being shouted at in the street. They're doing it for their own egos, nothing else. So annoying.

Quote: zooo @ September 27 2013, 10:59 AM BST

The ones (of various religions) who stand on street corners and shout about Jesus

I'm guessing these are Christians... :P

Lol, shuttup.

Hahahaha

I'm trying to shop! Stop shouting at me! They're as bad as those charity clipboard carrying bastards.

zooo doesn't like people shouting at her while she worships at the altar of Mammon.

Don't you try and get biblical with me. I will smite you right up.

The ones (of various religions) who stand on street corners and shout about Jesus are bloody annoying. I'm trying to shop! Stop shouting at me! They're as bad as those charity clipboard carrying bastards.

And it's just self serving, not one person has ever converted through being shouted at in the street. They're doing it for their own egos, nothing else. So annoying.

There's one in Wolves that uses a microphone through a portable PA system!

Quote: zooo @ September 27 2013, 11:04 AM BST

Don't you try and get biblical with me. I will smite you right up.

Smiting is very similar to spanking, right?

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ September 27 2013, 10:48 AM BST

Two very nice Jehovah witnesses who were friendly polite and not at all pushy.

This is what happened to the last Jehovah's Witness who darkened my door

Quote: roscoff @ September 27 2013, 11:47 AM BST

This is what happened to the last Jehovah's Witness who darkened my door

Serves them right for painting your door black. Errr

Quote: L.E. @ September 27 2013, 10:56 AM BST

Interestingly, Judaism is not a missionary faith and so doesn't actively try to convert people (in many countries anti-Jewish laws prohibited this for centuries).

Or was Mr EJP trying to talk you out of the missionary position?