Father Figure - Series 1 Page 4

Quote: devilin @ September 25 2013, 8:04 PM BST

Are any of you anything but negative about ANYTHING?

I'm positive in the majority of my GUM clinic tests, if that helps.

I haven't watched this sitcom yet, so will not comment on the show. However, to come on here and start attacking members for (in the majority) not liking this sitcom suggests that you are either a) directly/indirectly linked with the making of this programme, or b) are just another tedious internet troll.

Comedy is very subjective and divisive. You don't get 'points for trying' with a sitcom. People are either going to like a show or not. No-one here is 'out to get' this particular sitcom, they simply don't find it very funny/well written, it appears.

If anyone is being truly negative in their comments, it's you - only you're doing it towards BCG members rather than towards the show. You're the one making personalised attacks. Lay off the other viewers, they are entitled to their opinion.

Quote: devilin @ September 25 2013, 8:04 PM BST

Are any of you anything but negative about ANYTHING?

Plenty: Porridge, Blackadder, my gran's apple pies. However THIS is drivel I don't care if you're the father of a cast member or a writer. Either way it sounds like it was written by a ten year old. I should know, I teach the buggers.

T.W. is bang on. What the hell gives you the right to have a go at people on here? A simple 'I disagree and love it for the following...' would suffice.

Everyone on here seems to love Miranda. I can't stand it and said so. But I didn't go around abusing them because they did. If you are connected to the show well done, you're on telly which is more than I am. That doesn't mean I can't spot crap when I see it though.

Thank you for your recent replies. Much better than some of the vulgar, badly written, diatribe some have contributed. In the main my contributions have been posted in the hope to indicate the futility of such vehemently negative criticism. I see from the replies that my suspicions are correct. Usually the ones who 'Dish it out' are the most sensitive when the same is directed back at them.

Lesson learned, one hopes.

"They don't like it up 'em Mr. Mainwaring!"

I think you wrote this shit and I think you came on here looking for a decent review after the show was totally slammed in every single newspaper review.

You insist on citing the viewing figures why? They are extremely low for that slot.

But as you say if everyone other than you on here is wrong and you're right then do me a favour and pick just three memorable gags from the show and paste them up.

That way I can eat humble pie and you can bask, that's all you have to do lollipop so crack on and post the funny parts because I missed every one of them.

Dream on Teddy, You have a vivid imagination. However with your over use of the word shit, it would appear you have difficulty expressing yourself fully. :P

Quote: Teddy Paddalack @ September 27 2013, 10:00 AM BST

You insist on citing the viewing figures why? They are extremely low for that slot.

Wrong again Teddy. Do refrain from exuding rubbish without a little research.

My advice is meant to be supportive. I hate to see you making a complete knob of yourself.

Could you put the gags up please I have a night shift to go onto.

On the subject of taking the Micheal here's Metro's review

As if nicking your title off one of George Michael's best songs wasn't bad enough, Father Figure managed to commit every sitcom cliché crime in the book: dopey bloke, interfering mother, long-suffering wife, victim neighbours, bonkers relatives.

All of it wrapped up in an unsavoury mess of vomit and poo 'jokes'.

It's an unholy marriage of Some Mothers Do 'Ave 'Em and Mrs Brown's Boys, with Byrne as an Irish spin on Frank Spencer, a hapless idiot to whom disasters naturally occur - most of which involve spraying anyone who ventures across his path with everything from baked beans to chocolate mousse.

Byrne brings a certain haphazard charm to the part, but his material is pretty puerile. Still, if you find a child running around screaming 'I'm a human poo!' the height of hilarity - and the canned laughter soundtrack was having fits - then this is the show for you.

As is the 1970s, where a man protecting his genitals with the line 'You'll crush me Curly Wurlys!' would, at least, have been vaguely contemporary.

You joined this site the day after this show came out and every post to your name relates to the show, but as you say you have nothing to do with it.

As a matter of interest here's a review from The Stage:

The 'com' part just baffles me. It consists of a conveyor belt of silly moments and rudimentary sight gags loosely attached to a plot - and I use the term 'plot' in its widest possible sense. In the absence of any decent one-liners or characterisation, Byrne, the writer as well as star, attempts a frustratingly half-hearted surrealism, usually stuck on as fantasy inserts but which sometimes intrudes into the action itself.