Starting your own web site

Can anyone give me some advice on how to do so?

What will it cost?

I;m thinking about starting one to coincide with the 75th anniversary of the start of Worl War 2 and feature my Dad's diary from that year day by day.

Well I am in the middle of one at the moment! But it is not easy. Ask George Roper.

Depends on how pro you want to go.

If you're looking for a blog you can do it for free (last time I checked) with Blogger.com or WordPress.com.

Your URL would be something like chappersblog.wordpress.com. If you wanted something like chappersblog.com that would cost you a bit more. Don't expect pay more than £10 a year for your domain.

If you go DIY with a web hosting company instead (probably a little more complicated to set up) don't expect to pay more than £5 a month.

I use Go Daddy. It's cheap and the tech support is pretty good. But there are literally thousands of companies out there.

That's a cool idea for a website. I would personally just go with Wordpress for that. It's easy to use, free and looks good.

Can anyone know how to promote a forum or a website?

Quote: David Smith @ June 1 2013, 2:59 PM BST

Can anyone know how to promote a forum or a website?

Set up a new BCG account and spam the links in every thread.

Quote: Kevin Murphy @ June 1 2013, 3:00 PM BST

Set up a new BCG account and spam the links in every thread.

Any other way than spamming Kevin!

I'd use blogger or tumblr, they are free there is no techy stuff you just put your stuff up on there and it's done. Also updating is piss easy.

Quote: zooo @ June 1 2013, 2:58 PM BST

That's a cool idea for a website.

You maybe a bit of a tit Chappers but that does sound like a very interesting website, although are you sure you mean WWII?

WordPress always looks more professional than Blogger, imho.

With WordPress there's also a thriving community of theme and add-on developers.

Plus, Blogger is Google, and Google is evil.

Wordpress is great for Blogs.
Great idea too - you'd have a lot of people coming back to visit on a daily basis.
Should get some decent hits.

Quote: Lee @ June 1 2013, 3:04 PM BST

You maybe a bit of a tit Chappers but that does sound like a very interesting website, although are you sure you mean WWII?

Yes - it started in 1939.

+75

Equals 2014

and thanks for the compliment! Hug

No, I was just referring to your age, old man.

Does anyone want to have a look at the Bottom Forum I made!

Quote: David Smith @ June 1 2013, 4:20 PM BST

Does anyone want to have a look at the Bottom Forum I made!

Now there's a chat-up line.