Baby Cow 3: Mini update Page 5

Quote: DarrenF1970 @ August 15, 2007, 12:42 PM

To Seefacts - I would suggest the whole point of a forum like this is to exchange ideas and news with likeminded would-be writers; that means sharing someone's joy and excitement and encouraging them when production companies like their work. After all, their success could be the result of tips or advice given somewhere on this site.

If you've been so successful at having material accepted for broadcast, why not actually share some advice with the rest of us rather than quietly logging on here everyday and ripping off people's ideas in your writing which is what I suspect you do.

This is my first ever post, and I didn't want it to be a 'rant' but to me you've missed the whole point of this forum - you'd be better off logging on here... www.schadenfreudegits.de

Who the f**k are you? 'Ripping off ideas' - wind your neck in, you cheese merchant.

The fact is - if someone says 'I've got this great lead' or whatever and has managed to get their work read. Is that person really going to go 'Here's the guy's email address - why don't you all send him stuff too'.

Never going to happen. As it was Sam (who's obviously done well) followed the normal channels, and proves unknown writers can get somewhere without competitions or sketch shows.

The horse senses sadness.
That ia all.

Quote: Seefacts @ August 15, 2007, 8:29 PM

Who the f**k are you? 'Ripping off ideas' - wind your neck in, you cheese merchant.

The fact is - if someone says 'I've got this great lead' or whatever and has managed to get their work read. Is that person really going to go 'Here's the guy's email address - why don't you all send him stuff too'.

Never going to happen. As it was Sam (who's obviously done well) followed the normal channels, and proves unknown writers can get somewhere without competitions or sketch shows.

Seefacts, sounds like sour grapes to me. If you have got something in and they like it then best of luck to you. We all know how difficult it is and to say you ripped people off without even looking at your stuff is just bollocks.

Quote: nicholas keegan @ August 15, 2007, 9:17 PM

Seefacts, sounds like sour grapes to me. If you have got something in and they like it then best of luck to you. We all know how difficult it is and to say you ripped people off without even looking at your stuff is just bollocks.

I have to apologise that a flippant remark earlier has sparked a bit of tension. Didn't mean it to happen.

I'm the bitterest person you'll ever meet - and I stand by the fact that I like seeing people I disliked at school fail.

But I think people must remember that we're all in direct competition with each other.

Quote: Seefacts @ August 15, 2007, 8:29 PM

SeeFacts - make your point without the abuse. You could have said exactly the same thing without the opening lines.

Quote: SlagA @ August 15, 2007, 10:00 PM

SeeFacts - make your point without the abuse. You could have said exactly the same thing without the opening lines.

Sorry, retracted.

It was a spectacularly unnecessary thing for old 1-post to say though!

I didn't want to bring the forum into disrepute though, I must say.

Sorry for being so blunt with you, SeeFacts. This is an interesting debate. Reading and enjoying.

:)

BTW I agree that Darren's 'ripping off' swipe wasn't helpful. I missed it in my first read through, so again, soz.

Quote: ajp29 @ August 15, 2007, 8:20 PM

I'm wetting myself waiting for the DNA results Errr

Hey, if you do turn out to be my brother, it's hard on me too... last time I strung somebody up by the nackers I bent my little finger in quite a nasty way... Angry

We seriously sound like a bunch of little girls on this thread!
Love it.

Anyway, apart from that, is everybody happy?

Quote: Frankie Rage @ August 15, 2007, 10:11 PM

Hey, if you do turn out to be my brother, it's hard on me too... last time I strung somebody up by the nackers I bent my little finger in quite a nasty way... Angry

And where was you sticking that little finger, hmmm Frankie?

I got my pie on you...

I was going to leap to seefacts defence because he's a canny lad, but I see he can fight his own corner.

What are nackers? Frankie Rage appears to have offered to hang more than one person on these threads - metaphorically or otherwise, as I had no idea about AJP DNA issue and was referring to another offer he made.

Quote: Seefacts @ August 15, 2007, 9:27 PM

But I think people must remember that we're all in direct competition with each other.

I disagree, I'm sure all our work is different and there is a big demand for quality at the moment so if its up to scratch I'm sure it would be good enough. Its not Sitcom Idol, more bone idle.

Quote: Seefacts @ August 15, 2007, 9:27 PM

You're saying that people should not post opportunities, give advice, or talk about success or failures. Fair enough. But then is there any point to this forum? I don't think it's a co-incidence there haven't been any new threads started since this arguement got heated - I'm not posting opportunities any more, no-one likes to be reminded that there are people who are waiting to stab you in the back to get ahead.

This forum doesn't have that many writers on it, instead of fighting amongst ourselves, why don't we all share our knowledge and give ourselves the best chance, provided our writing is good enough, and by helping each other we will be a (big) step ahead of all those thousands of writers out there who haven't found this forum. We have to trust each other to thrive.

I feel like Jack out of Lost. Look a bit like him too.

https://www.comedy.co.uk/forums/thread/2740#43240

I've got to say that I always feel a great debt towards those people in the past and present that have contributed to what I am today. I'd like to think that if I ever (please please please) stepped up to the next rung that I would repay my gratitude by remembering those I owe and opening the door for others.

There are friends and talent here that I believe are on the rise. Hopefully they too will remember the cameraderie and tap us up, or at least point other directors /scouts in our direction.

Yes there is an element of competition but it's not with each other but mainly aimed at ourselves. We're all human. But this is tempered by the fact that we're not working in the same areas and so in direct competition. Surreal, sketch, sitcom, TV, Radio, novels, parody, standup etc. The entertainment industry that can support Bottom, Chuckle Brothers, Yes Minister, Jim Davidson, bill hicks, bill bailey is broad enough for all of us to find a niche. You only have to look at the variety of sketches in the Critique section to realise that people write sketches in their own unique and unreplicatable manner.

As to success and levels of attainment. It's all transitory. Even at our peak, we'll think 'if only' and then it's passed. No one here is more correct in an opinion because they have a broadcast sketch or show because if you play that game then you can always find someone who has done more than yourself. Gervais could be washed out tomorrow, someone on BSG with no credits could be the next best thing 'in utero'. Everything is in flux.

We are lucky enough to have found a group like this that can support and encourage when the long nights close in. Not many writers in history have had such benefits, so let's enjoy it.