RIP Richard Briers Page 2

R.I.P. Maybe a good moment for me to buy and watch "The Good Life".

I saw his Bottom in Newcastle in the mid-90s. Not that I had much to compare it to, but I thought it was pretty good.

Quote: Kevin Murphy @ February 18 2013, 6:06 PM GMT

I saw his Bottom in Newcastle in the mid-90s. Not that I had much to compare it to, but I thought it was pretty good.

Not as good as your avatar I guess.

Anyway - was in one of my early sitcom memories- Marriage Lines with Prunella Scales.

Done some great stuff. And especially like that drama he did about the old bloke in a wheelchair.

Quote: Chappers @ February 18 2013, 7:57 PM GMT

Not as good as your avatar I guess.

Anyway - was in one of my early sitcom memories- Marriage Lines with Prunella Scales.

Done some great stuff. And especially like that drama he did about the old bloke in a wheelchair.

I take it you mean If You See God, Tell Him. I watched it when it was originally transmitted, underrated IMO. Briers was also in a sitcom with Michael Gambon called The Other One I believe. I don't think it's been repeated.

Both If You See God, Tell Him and the first series of The Other One are available on DVD.

https://www.comedy.co.uk/shop/item/747/if_you_see_god_tell_him_dvd/

https://www.comedy.co.uk/shop/item/409/the_other_one_the_complete_first_series_dvd/

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ February 18 2013, 5:39 PM GMT

R.I.P. Maybe a good moment for me to buy and watch "The Good Life".

I would like to also point you in the direction of Ever Decreasing Circles - others have mentioned it in this thread already. Briers on superb form in every episode, and a much funnier and more interesting character in Martin Bryce than Tom Good.

RIP R.B.

One of the odder Richard Briers outings was co-starring with Racquel Welch in a 60s spy caper Fathom.

Quote: shaggy292 @ February 18 2013, 9:53 PM GMT

I would like to also point you in the direction of Ever Decreasing Circles - others have mentioned it in this thread already. Briers on superb form in every episode, and a much funnier and more interesting character in Martin Bryce than Tom Good.

RIP R.B.

My guide

Quote: shaggy292 @ February 18 2013, 9:53 PM GMT

RIP R.B.

I so agree.

Maybe, over the next few days, we should all turn our phones round once.

RIP Richard.

Tinfoil hatted nutters at the Daily Mail haved managed to turn the death of Richard Briers into a bizarre conspiracy theory about not getting a knighthood because he wasn't gay and Mail readers liked the Good Life-

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2280840/Comic-genius-Suburbia-Richard-Briers-happily-married-decent--middle-classes-loved-Is-knighted.html

Wow. Slow day in the office.

Quote: peter gazzard @ February 18 2013, 8:23 PM GMT

I take it you mean If You See God, Tell Him. I watched it when it was originallya transmitted, underrated IMO.

Wasn't it a kind of variant of the Martin Bryce character?

As for epitaphs what about "He kissed the good life goodbye"?

Okay, a bit glib.

He also narrated Noddy and other cartoons. And he showed up in a movie-length Minder episode, An Officer and a Car Salesman, playing a bonkers military man with a private army. Memorable for being Chisholm's final appearance.

He was an avuncular chap and will be missed dearly.

Playing chicken with a deadline last night, I watched a P.G. Wodehouse documentary in which Briers appears - as he had been Bertie Wooster in a radio series of the Jeeves books.