What are you watching on TV? Page 1,261

And if it was a servant announcing their departure, or even one of the daughters, then just leaving wasn't acceptable.

Quote: Timbo @ October 17 2010, 11:10 PM BST

No, a dirty look does not really do the job in a milieu of studied courtesy.

"A dirty look" is not what you'll get from any decent actor - so that's a casting issue... Besides, a good writer wouldn't telegraph the subtext via and otherwise pointless line. Really good writers bury their subtext in a line that actually means something to the story - and really good writers make you think you're learning about one thing to do with a character or the plot, whilst they're actually telling you something else.

I should teach courses, me... ;)

Quote: Scatterbrained Floozy @ October 17 2010, 11:12 PM BST

And if it was a servant announcing their departure, or even one of the daughters, then just leaving wasn't acceptable.

To be fair, Robyn, I wasn't even using the "I'm going upstairs" line as a verbatim quote. I doubt it even was used in the 10 mins I watched. I was merely giving it as an example of the style of writing this show contained (imo, naturally).

Maybe "Going upstairs" really meant "I'm losing my mind". Have you heard about Maggie? The poor dear is going upstairs.

Anyway, I'm going upstairs now...

I'm going to reply to your post.

:D

A History of Horror. Beards don't suit Gattiss.

He does look better without.
Love this series though.

Quote: chipolata @ October 18 2010, 9:25 PM BST

Something else to iPlayer.

Spooks

Quote: Timbo @ October 17 2010, 10:11 PM BST

Pilllars of Earth, lots of minor unnecessary changes, but they seem to be sticking pretty much to the plot. maybe it is because I know what is going to happen next, but it feels a bit slow and clunky.

Is the book good? I tried very hard, but just couldn't get into it.

Just watched "This is England" and the subsequent television series. Enjoyable stuff.

Quote: chipolata @ October 18 2010, 9:25 PM BST

I like his beardy face.

And this is a great series.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ October 18 2010, 10:39 PM BST

I like his beardy face.

Gay.

Quote: DaButt @ October 18 2010, 10:12 PM BST

Just watched "This is England" and the subsequent television series. Enjoyable stuff.

I thought the series worked really well, but it was quite grim, depressing stuff. Some brilliant performances.

Quote: bigfella @ October 18 2010, 9:52 PM BST

Is the book good? I tried very hard, but just couldn't get into it.

Follett is not a man to let research go to waste, so by the time you have finished you will be able to build your own cathedral and will be an expert in the medieval wool trade, but once you get into it you will want to keep turning the pages.