Upwardly Mobile

This comedy -- Irish, RTE, 1995-1997 -- doesn't seem to be on the television comedy list.

That'd be because this is the British Comedy Guide, not the Irish Comedy Guide. :)

Oh. Well, you might understand that, from this side, it looks like the difference between, say Father Ted and Upwardly Mobile (apart from quality, talent, etc) is merely a matter of administrivia. Quite sincerely, however, is it about where it's shown, where it's made, who paid for it or what it's about? Some of each?

The broadcasting/commissioning channel (and thus the primary intended audience). Father Ted was made for Channel 4; I expect their broadcasts can be received in Ireland, but it's a British channel. It was also made by London's Hat Trick Productions and filmed at The London Studios, but that's relatively trivial detail.

The writers, cast and setting are irrelevant - no one would expect Up Pompeii! to be on a list of Italian sitcoms, nor French Fields on a list of froggy ones. And Episodes, a UK-US co-production (as was The Thick Of It Series 4), was written by Americans but almost entirely filmed in England.

RTE, meanwhile, is Irish.

Okay, thanks. Guess I think of anything made over this side as being "North American" and, so, have a tendency to lump countries together. I do see your point.

You could get in a LOT of trouble with anyone Irish, lumping countries together. ;)

Well, they'd need awfully long arms........ ;)