BBC Transgender Comedy Writing Competition...FFS!! Page 16

Quote: Lazzard @ February 20 2013, 7:13 PM GMT

Not really.
There are many genres and subjects on which I wouldn't feel suited to write.

And I agree wih you. All I am saying is, say you was writing a sitcom or film and suddenly there was an opening for another charictor and they only fitted in as gay, bi, transsexual, for whatever reason, then as a writer I think you should (not you personally laz) be able to step up to the mark and not be afraid to do so.

Indeed. A sitcom based on being gay, trans, or other walks of life like a minority, whatever? I couldn't do it.

However, having a character within a sitcom different from my own experiences? That's okay. I know all of the above and more, know them well enough to know, well they're the same as us, just with different experiences!

The thing is, with this Trans comp, is it doesn't have to be ABOUT transgender/transsexual people, it just needs a character, as a minimum.

So all this 'pandering' to the smallest bunch of people is bull, anyone can join in, with any script as long as it had a character that was trans in it.

I think its just a simple case of research. If I was going to set about writing an action film about being in the SAS, I would have to do research about the SAS because I have never been in the SAS.

So if I was going to wright something about transgender or whatever then surly, research will get me the information that I needed.

I've entered this competition. Sent my script off last Friday. It was certainly a challenge but an enjoyable one. Not sure if it is exactly what they are looking for but I'm pleased with what I've written.

Quote: Nigel Ball @ February 20 2013, 6:52 PM GMT

Has anyone entered this comp? because anyone who considers themselves a all round writer must be able to write gay,straight,transgender, or whatever. I don't think its right for any writer especially sitcom writers to show any form of homophobia!

It's a difficult one because the point about being say, a man who's transitioned to a female is that you are now a woman. The rules suggest that the script need not present transgenderism as a problem or struggle in the person's life but unless you write something like this your script will exactly resemble a script with non transgender characters.

Quote: Godot Taxis @ February 21 2013, 12:25 AM GMT

It's a difficult one because the point about being say, a man who's transitioned to a female is that you are now a woman. The rules suggest that the script need not present transgenderism as a problem or struggle in the person's life but unless you write something like this your script will exactly resemble a script with non transgender characters.

Not necessarily true. I believe I've written a script, with a transgendered character as my protagonist, that touches upon transgenderism but doesn't present it as a problem or struggle, not in an overt way anyway. My main character is open about her gender and self-aware and can make fun of herself.

I agree with martin. I didn't send anything in the end because I thought I stood more chance with a one act play contest so worked on that instead, but I had planned on basing a character on a girl from my trans summer show (I think that's it's name) and she was very open and would invite questions about her gender and she was the happiest, most confident person on the show.

Quote: Nigel Ball @ February 20 2013, 8:14 PM GMT

I think its just a simple case of research. If I was going to set about writing an action film about being in the SAS, I would have to do research about the SAS because I have never been in the SAS.

So if I was going to wright something about transgender or whatever then surly, research will get me the information that I needed.

Ironically that's what I'm working on now (SAS not TG !).
Research is one thing - feeling it's where your strength lies is another.
Put a gun to my head and I'd give it a go - but I can't say my heart would be in it.
And that would make for a bad end product.
I also think the project -albeit a bit of box-ticking flim-flam - would be better served by a writer with a passion for the subject rather than someone who couldn't give a toss and is just looking for a break.

Apart from the script and the cover sheet (obviously) what would you more experienced types recommend RE sending a covering letter, series breakdown, etc? Given the range of things they're looking for (sketch shows, sitcoms, comedy drams, etc) is it worth spelling out from the start that it's a sitcom they'll be looking at (Yes, I know it should be obvious from the first page anyway, but...)

You could always put "TV sitcom" or "comedy drama" on the title page.

It wouldn't hurt to send a brief synopsis/treatment/outline/whatever with your entry, but BBC writersroom always seem to advise not to write character breakdowns on the outline document as everything they need to know about your characters should be in the script.

Quote: Mikey Jackson @ February 23 2013, 5:56 PM GMT

You could always put "TV sitcom" or "comedy drama" on the title page.

It wouldn't hurt to send a brief synopsis/treatment/outline/whatever with your entry, but BBC writersroom always seem to advise not to write character breakdowns on the outline document as everything they need to know about your characters should be in the script.

Cheers Mikey, think I will just specify 'sitcom' on the title page and cover sheet. Other than a 3 word description (age, look) for each character within the script itself, I'm not doing character breakdowns, and really only have today to iron out some bits before I get it sent off, so not really got time to waste writing a page of 'extra' stuff that they probably won't care about at this stage anyway. :)

I included a 2 and bit page pitch document, but I don't think you need to do that, I just did it because I've become pretty awesome at writing pitch documents. :P

I would suggest that that is too long for a pitch document, get more awesome and get it down to a page.

Quote: Marc P @ February 25 2013, 9:11 AM GMT

I would suggest that that is too long for a pitch document, get more awesome and get it down to a page.

I got my pitch down to an awesome seven words.

Good man!