Goodnight Sweetheart Page 22

Just seen that the episode only got 3.71m viewing figures which I'm massively disappointed in. The scheduling and the lack of promotion hasn't helped, I just hope the BBC takes the Twitter reaction into consideration and commissions a full series. To me it was miles ahead of any other of the other shows even if the viewing figures don't show it going off the media reaction to it.

Minor comedy, commissioned out of desperation because most of the cast still happen to be alive. Deary me, I'll get my coat

Quote: Muddlecombe @ 5th September 2016, 9:49 PM

Minor comedy, commissioned out of desperation.

One of my favourite forms of commissioning!

They don't commission shows out of desperation, if they thought it would be a flop they wouldn't waste money doing it. The reaction on Twitter to the episode shows that the public want another series. I didn't see the same reaction to any of the other shows. They need to put it out through the week not at the weekend when ratings will be lower.

They would if they were having a comedy season about sitcoms and they realised that most of the great comedies either have dead stars or dead writers or unwilling stars. Believe me they looked around, thank God they decided against My Family. I must say I am finding this whole season a mess as far as vintage comedy goes. However I think a couple of the new pilots have promise

You could say the same about dramas-Prisoner, Upstairs Downstairs, Brideshead, the revivals weren't as good due to the lack of original cast.

Chances are the original cast of most old series are long dead or are too old to reprise their old characters, so you can't compare an old comedy show to an updated version. Just take it as it is. If you don't like it fair enough but I'm sure loads of people will love it.

I'm not sure I replied to this. If I did, I'm repeating myself. Soz like.

Anyway, positive post alert.

I thought this was EXCELLENT. So much has changed since 1999, and it was good to see Gary step into the future (or now). Loved it, and I'd actually like them to make more of this.

Quote: alan1967 @ 7th September 2016, 2:22 PM

Chances are the original cast of most old series are long dead or are too old to reprise their old characters, so you can't compare an old comedy show to an updated version. Just take it as it is. If you don't like it fair enough but I'm sure loads of people will love it.

I thought that is what I said. ;) This kind of thing is better left to commercial TV as in the quite horrible but popular Birds of a Feather, the BBC should be innovating not back peddling, as they are in a privileged position and are spending my money on this crap ;)

Quote: Muddlecombe @ 7th September 2016, 3:41 PM

I thought that is what I said. ;) This kind of thing is better left to commercial TV as in the quite horrible but popular Birds of a Feather, the BBC should be innovating not back peddling, as they are in a privileged position and are spending my money on this crap ;)

They also have a duty to provide audiences with programmes they want to watch.

Quote: Muddlecombe @ 7th September 2016, 9:57 AM

Believe me they looked around, thank God they decided against My Family.

They considered My Family? That only finished five years ago, so people may not have realised it was a new episode.

I'm afraid I don't see these as having any long term future or mass viewership, I may be wrong, but I'd be surprised

Still no news on a new series. Does anyone know what is happening?

Quote: comical masterpiece @ 27th September 2016, 3:55 PM

Still no news on a new series. Does anyone know what is happening?

You realise it's only been 3 weeks, right...?

I think they will get a Christmas special at first then if the BBC has any sense they will give it a full series.