Hebburn - Series 1

Last night I went to a special screening and Q&A session of Hebburn in Stockton. The first two episodes were shown, and I have to say this - I loved it! Laughed all the way through both episodes.

I think that this series is probably going to be the best new sitcom of the year. I wouldn't be surprised if it picks up one of the Comedy.co.uk Awards in January.

I won't give away too much of the plot or jokes, but I will say that writer Jason Cook was very relieved when he heard the audience laugh for the first time, the cast were all wonderful, and that one of the people at the Q&A was a guest star in episode four - Arthur Bostrom... and yes, on stage he did say "Good moaning."

Lots of laughs in this I thought, some good characters. A bit light on story perhaps, but certainly funny and warm. Vic Reeves was very good. Definitely be tuning in for more.

Well I thought it was great. Funny on so many levels - traditional sitcom, modern etc.

Just one thing. What is it about people getting married secretly?

I gave it a try but I wasn't feeling it, Vic Reeves was great though. Everyone else seemed to be doing panto acting by comparison although I'm finding that with a lot of Britcoms at the moment.

It were ace, pet.

Vic is brilliant. Love him.

Quote: Ian Wolf @ October 12 2012, 7:07 AM BST

Last night I went to a special screening and Q&A session of Hebburn in Stockton. The first two episodes were shown, and I have to say this - I loved it! Laughed all the way through both episodes.

I think that this series is probably going to be the best new sitcom of the year. I wouldn't be surprised if it picks up one of the Comedy.co.uk Awards in January.

I won't give away too much of the plot or jokes, but I will say that writer Jason Cook was very relieved when he heard the audience laugh for the first time, the cast were all wonderful, and that one of the people at the Q&A was a guest star in episode four - Arthur Bostrom... and yes, on stage he did say "Good moaning."

I was a bit narked nobody told me about that event to be honest. I'd have loved to go and I'm local! Maybe I need to change my deodorant. Anyway, enjoyed this first show. Some good stuff, and yes, Vic (or Jim as he's credited) was brill.

Really enjoyed this. It might have crammed in a bit too much setting-up and new characters, but that's always a difficult balance for a first episode - main thing is it was funny. Vic was great and Gina Mckee (the Helen Baxendale of the North) looks as stunning as ever.

Plus it's got Biffa Bacon's dad.

Loved Jim Moir once again proving, as in the Morecambe and Wise play, that he can underplay beautifully. Worth watching for him alone.

Ahhh, she was her off Notting Hill. Wondered what I knew her from. (Among hundreds of other things, I expect.)

Quote: zooo @ October 18 2012, 11:29 PM BST

Ahhh, she was her off Notting Hill. Wondered what I knew her from. (Among hundreds of other things, I expect.)

Our Friends in the North, a masterpiece with Gina McKee and Christopher Eccleston.

A nice start. Very watchable.

Were ya all watching something else petal? There's sod all drama in marrying someone nice, and is seems to be written by the Geordie tourist board. Vic Reeves' Catterick was much better.

Hebburn feels cannabalised from a load of other sit-coms; Early Doors, Gavin & Stacey, The Royle Family, Grandma's House.

A lot to enjoy though, the pub singer looks promising as a great comedy character.

Interesting to see Vic (Jim Moir, actor) Reeves doing a bit of pathos and very watchable he is too.

I thought this was almost unwatchable. It also felt about fifteen years out of date and like it was written by a Londoner pretending to be a Northerner, which I assume was not the case.

It also had one of those trail jokes (wearing out the carpet in the parlour) that is actually an edit of the original show with a wad of dialogue taken out between the feed and the punch. This is irritating because it means the joke you see over and over actually isn't in the show and it reminds you that the script editor and director aren't doing their jobs properly.

Tried to watch it on BBC iPlayer, but turned it off after 6 minutes. There were no jokes. And what is it with non-audience "comedies"? Did the audience walk out or were they simply silent?