The general pop/rock - music thread Page 90

In the 70s?

Joni Mitchell - Song To a Seagull

(Live, 1967 : Couriers Folk Club, Leicester)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJ2Ecq_VwUM

(Apologies for crashing in - I didn't see the discussion above when I posted)

Quote: A Horseradish @ 7th April 2015, 9:28 PM BST

(Apologies for crashing in - I didn't see the discussion above when I posted)

There's no such thing as 'crashing in' here. This thread is for posting about 'good ol' music' and that's what you have done.

Beautiful song by the way.

From her website:

"Apr 3: Update on Joni's health
Joni remains under observation in the hospital and is resting comfortably. We are encouraged by her progress and she continues to improve and get stronger each day. We've created a simple web page to aggregate Facebook and Twitter messages so that Joni can see all the well wishes people are sending her way, check it out!

Mar 31: Joni hospitalized
Joni has been hospitalized. We are awaiting official word on her condition and will post it here as soon as we know.

More news..."

Quote: Chappers @ 7th April 2015, 9:26 PM BST

I saw what I believe was their first gig supporting the Who at an open air concert at Charlton Athletic's Valley stadium.

I saw them very early on too, at Earls Court.

If I had a time machine I'd travel back to the 60s and 70s to see these great acts in concert during their heydays.

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ 7th April 2015, 9:33 PM BST

There's no such thing as 'crashing in' here. This thread is for posting about 'good ol' music' and that's what you have done.

Beautiful song by the way.

From her website:

"Apr 3: Update on Joni's health
Joni remains under observation in the hospital and is resting comfortably. We are encouraged by her progress and she continues to improve and get stronger each day. We've created a simple web page to aggregate Facebook and Twitter messages so that Joni can see all the well wishes people are sending her way, check it out!

Mar 31: Joni hospitalized
Joni has been hospitalized. We are awaiting official word on her condition and will post it here as soon as we know.

More news..."

Thanks. Very kind. Yours and mine were both at 9.28 pm. I am pleased to hear this news. :)

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ 7th April 2015, 9:28 PM BST

In the 70s?

1974 I think.

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ 7th April 2015, 9:40 PM BST

If I had a time machine I'd travel back to the 60s and 70s to see these great acts in concert during their heydays.

I saw The Beatles live in 1964. :D

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 7th April 2015, 10:37 PM BST

I saw The Beatles live in 1964. :D

Which tour ?

Quote: Chappers @ 7th April 2015, 9:26 PM BST

I saw what I believe was their first gig supporting the Who at an open air concert at Charlton Athletic's Valley stadium.

What a line up!

Quote: Oldrocker @ 8th April 2015, 12:37 AM BST

Which tour ?

Just checked my programme - got the wrong year. :$ Was 1963, and I have to be honest I primarily went to see Roy Orbison who was the headline act - The Beatles closed the first half.
I think they were singing - difficult to tell. I have never heard so much screaming!

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ 8th April 2015, 7:10 AM BST

What a line up!

Maggie Bell too apparently.

It was an odd year for Lindisfarne as sales since 1972 had plummeted and they wouldn't rise again until 1978. Hull was disillusioned. Cowe, Clements and Laidlaw had left to form Jack The Lad. I still think their almost unknown "Roll On. Ruby" album from 1973 has some really fantastic moments.

From reading the reviews, it sounds as if it was very boozy in a football crowd sense. It does have that early-mid 1970s vibe all around it. Townsend made some churlish remarks about the crowd as can be his way. The aggression can be over-stated if chosen to be comprehended as atmospheric.

Lou Reed was also out of it on drugs and arguably regarded distantly as being ahead of his time. It has probably taken NME etc in the post punk years to place his solo output, and VU, in full context.

What I have read brings back memories for me because my best mate was in the shadow of his older brother and always taking cues from him. He spoke a lot about both the Who and Humble Pie because his brother did. The latter didn't mean much to me. We were 11 and I don't know how old his brother would have been - 16? - so maybe he was there too. It seems very likely given the London location.

The Valley was at the time one of the biggest capacity grounds in London if not maybe the country. Due to its location in almost a natural bowl it could hold 70,000.

Obviously the stage was made along one part of terracing and I was on the pitch with thousands of others.

Lou Reed was sporting a blond haircut and I don't think Dave Mason appeared. I also seem to remember US band Montrose being listed to play. I have still got the programme for this somewhere.

I remember the Who doing lots of Quadrophenia with Moon sining Bell-Boy. "Carry the f**kin' baggage out" but also had to leave before the end so that I could catch the train home.

Quote: A Horseradish @ 8th April 2015, 2:13 PM BST

Maggie Bell too apparently.

Sick