The general pop/rock - music thread Page 81

Quote: DaButt @ 28th January 2015, 7:52 PM GMT

I found an old VHS tape with this seldom/never seen video of my favourite band covering a Can song and uploaded it to YouTube a few weeks ago; might as well post it here, too. Wilco's Nels Cline is on guitar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cz4jcYHjqzw

Speaking of Wilco/Wilko and Daltrey, Wilco are headlining one night at the New Orleans Jazz Festival and The Who (my second-favourite band) are headlining the next. My head would melt if they managed some sort of collaboration.

Wilco are great, I've seen them live in my hometwown four years ago. Great band...and as it seems the guys are nice and down to earth.

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ 28th January 2015, 8:02 PM GMT

Great band...and as it seems the guys are nice and down to earth.

Yeah, they're very nice people. I don't know how far you are from Baden, but it looks like the Nels Cline Singers are playing there (and elsewhere in Europe) in March. They're a great jazz/rock band.

http://nelscline.com/shows

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1Xj9SLIodI

Quote: DaButt @ 28th January 2015, 8:17 PM GMT

Yeah, they're very nice people. I don't know how far you are from Baden, but it looks like the Nels Cline Singers are playing there (and elsewhere in Europe) in March. They're a great jazz/rock band.

Baden is not too far from Basel where I live. Switzerland is very small, you know.
Anyway, I've bought their new 4disc rarities compilation. It has lots of little gems on it. Their cover of Steely Dan's Any Major Dude Will Tell You made me smile.

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ 28th January 2015, 8:42 PM GMT

Anyway, I've bought their new 4disc rarities compilation. It has lots of little gems on it. Their cover of Steely Dan's Any Major Dude Will Tell You made me smile.

Yeah, it's a great compilation. I like their shows because their set lists are so varied. They played more than a hundred different songs during their opening spot on Bob Dylan's Americanarama tour -- that's very impressive for an opening band on a 25-show tour.

I saw them at their own Solid Sound festival in 2013 and they played a whole night of covers:

01 - The Boys Are Back in Town [Thin Lizzy cover]
02 - Cut Your Hair [Pavement cover]
03 - In the Street [Big Star cover]
04 - New Madrid [Uncle Tupelo]
05 - Dead Flowers [The Rolling Stones cover]
06 - Simple Twist of Fate [Bob Dylan cover]
07 - Ripple [Grateful Dead cover]
08 - Who Loves the Sun [The Velvet Underground cover]
09 - And Your Bird Can Sing [The Beatles cover]
10 - And Your Bird Can Sing [The Beatles cover]
11 - Psychotic Reaction [Count Five cover]
12 - Tom Courtenay [Yo La Tengo cover]
13 - James Alley Blues [Richard Brown cover]
14 - Waterloo Sunset [The Kinks cover]
15 - Waterloo [ABBA cover]
16 - (What's So Funny 'bout) Peace, Love and Understanding [Nick Lowe cover]
17 - Marquee Moon [Television cover]
18 - Happy Birthday [Mildred J. Hill cover]
19 - (Don't Fear) The Reaper [Blue ?-yster Cult cover]
20 - Cinnamon Girl [Neil Young cover]
21 - Get Lucky [Daft Punk cover]
22 - Surrender [Cheap Trick cover]
23 - Color Me Impressed [The Replacements cover]
24 - Kingpin
25 - Thank You Friends [Big Star cover]
Encore:
26 - The Weight [The Band cover]
27 - Roadrunner [The Modern Lovers cover]

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ 28th January 2015, 7:37 PM GMT

The Wilko Johnson/Roger Daltrey album is now available as a deluxe edition with live material on the second disc.

That's been out for a while I think. At least extra tracks to the first pressings.

Wilko supported The Frantic Four (Quo reunion)

One of the only times I've seen the bars empty and the hall full for the support band !

This weekends's flea market purchases:

Having heard Bruce Springsteen's 'Born To Run' in the background earlier, I thought I had discovered a point to this man.

Just listened again.

How wrong can you be?

Quote: Oldrocker @ 1st February 2015, 12:39 AM GMT

Having heard Bruce Springsteen's 'Born To Run' in the background earlier, I thought I had discovered a point to this man.

Just listened again.

How wrong can you be?

He's alright. Try listening to his first two records and Darkness On The Edge Of Town. If you don't like these three then you won't like him at all.

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ 1st February 2015, 9:11 PM GMT

He's alright. Try listening to his first two records and Darkness On The Edge Of Town. If you don't like these three then you won't like him at all.

I think 1, 2 and 3 are quite different from each other atmospherically and fascinating in that way. They are my favourites along with "Darkness" and "The Rising". You have recently bought SW's "Hotter Than July". It was the first of his I ever purchased and probably the last quite good thing he recorded. It was many years later - decades - that I realised "All I Do" was written almost 15 years earlier in the mid 1960s and given to Tammi Terrell. She is my favourite woman singer on Motown and you might like to compare the two versions.

Quote: A Horseradish @ 1st February 2015, 9:25 PM GMT

...I realised "All I Do" was written almost 15 years earlier in the mid 1960s and given to Tammi Terrell. She is my favourite woman singer on Motown and you might like to compare the two versions.

I will listen to Tammi's version.
I like Wonder's 70s albums, they're just as great as Gaye's or Mayfield's work from that era. But my all time favourite song of his is "Uptight"...a song like a tsunami!

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ 1st February 2015, 9:34 PM GMT

I will listen to Tammi's version.
I like Wonder's 70s albums, they're just as great as Gaye's or Mayfield's work from that era. But my all time favourite song of his is "Uptight"...a song like a tsunami!

Yes indeed - classic and very innovative. :)

I've probably posted this twice before but here it is anyhow:

Tammi Terrell - All I Do

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqbvX_sYoN0

I love it. Such a shame she died so young.

Was reminded of this album I had in the 70s by the Doctor on Top thread.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Revolution_Dub

It was - naturally - a dub album and on the track "Doctor on the go" there were samples of the TV sitcom.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-vqffG26z4

RIP Steve Strange.

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ 13th February 2015, 6:24 AM GMT

RIP Steve Strange.

Fade to Grey - he certainly has now. >_<