What ever happened to critique? Page 8

Legitimate, but rarely effective. I find that requires fire.

I remember when I posted my first ever sketch:

https://www.comedy.co.uk/forums/post/578347/

I had lurked for a few months and identified who I thought were some of the 'A-listers' were at that time and it made a big difference to get the likes of Badge and Dan giving feedback. That might seem a bit shallow I know but I would look at Dan's sketches for script layout etc., never having any experience of getting an idea down on an acceptable format.

I do try and give feedback but, I have stated this before, I am just a chancer at this writing lark and I have no experience (particularly with sitcom writing) regarding structure, story development etc.. I try to be constructive but I have been guilty on occasion of using the opportunity for a 'witty' putdown. I can see how this puts off new posters.

I think Showcae didn't help either and the quality of a lot of the things on there is variable to say the least. A lot of posts are just used to increase YouTube views.

I think it would help if posters let readers know what they expect from them. What alternative endings would make it better?, should I use tit or twat? etc.. 'Is this funny' normally elicits no replies and we all know (don't we?) that no replies = sorry thisis shite but I can't be arsed saying so because I either:

A) don't want to hurt your feelings (normally established poster's efforts) or
B) am pissed of that you have wasted my time with shite.

You've quite a decent style Will you should write more.

Certainly your use of character is very rich and you have a real ear for dialogue. You mix that with a great sense of humour as well.

I hope you won't join those poor empty souls who only write for News Jack and similar one offs. News Revue runs 51 weeks of the year and critique never sleeps.

Cheers Sootyj, that's very kind of you to say.

I'm as honest in my praise as I am in my slating.

Now where's my f**king chappy you northern git.

I got tired of seeing the words (CLOSED THREAD) every time I ventured forward a half decent and well thought out criticism, only to be met with the usual 'f**k you'.

One flame war later and that was all he / she wrote - ever again.

I can't remember the last time a thread was closed in critique.

Although for a while there were some hilariously obvious ones.

INT SHOP DAY

A SHOPKEEPER STANDS IN A SHOP MR WINDUP WALKS IN

MR WINDUP
Hello I am mr windup I'm here for a windup.

SHOPKEEPER
This is a windup.

MR WINDUP
Yes I am Mr Windup, looking for a windup and your winding me up.

SHOPKEEPER
F**k the clique!

You should post some of your stuff.

Quote: sootyj @ July 29 2012, 10:48 PM BST

You should post some of your stuff.

I've pretty much been ASBO tagged by Aaron and zooo to remain in General Discussion. Apparently the villagers get upset when I emerge from the cave and venture into the 'southern regions' of the BCG on a bloodthirsty rampage.

I didn't even know you wrote R.C. Or maybe I had just forgotten?

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ July 29 2012, 10:59 PM BST

I've pretty much been ASBO tagged by Aaron and zooo to remain in General Discussion. Apparently the villagers get upset when I emerge from the cave and venture into the 'southern regions' of the BCG on a bloodthirsty rampage.

Rubbish.

Aaron's a big teddy bear and I can't believe he'd mind you posting in critique.

Quote: Lee @ July 29 2012, 11:01 PM BST

I didn't even know you wrote R.C. Or maybe I had just forgotten?

I write all the time...look I'm doing it now.

Quote: sootyj @ July 29 2012, 11:03 PM BST

Aaron's a big teddy bear and I can't believe he'd mind you posting in critique.

I have to watch my Ps & Qs whenever I'm outside the General Discussion exclusion zone. I made someone cry and another person quit because I dissed a television show the dumb idiots liked. That's what you get for expressing your fondness for something around here.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ July 29 2012, 11:12 PM BST

I write all the time...look I'm doing it now.

I liked the beginning but I thought the punch was a little too obvious.

So how'd you like the beating I gave ya?

Quote: Lee @ July 29 2012, 11:18 PM BST

Ok so I'm a traditionalist thug.

Quote: Lee @ July 29 2012, 11:18 PM BST

Boo hoo hoo! What the f**k do you know about anything? My joke was brilliant, but you're such an idiot, you wouldn't know what a punchline is...blah, blah, blah...I'll report you to the Mods...whine, whine, whine...I worked really hard on this...if you're so funny why aren't you writing for television now?...cry, cry, cry...How can you be so mean?...You c**t. Etc.

And that is why I rarely comment on the Critique contributions.

'Posts: 1' is probably the most irritating thing.

To be honest, that's the most irritating thing on any of the General Comedy/Sitcom/Sketches/etc, especially when it doesn't ever change.

Thanks Will for the comments above btw. Happy to help. I try my very best to comment on every KI and NJ thread. In fact, I believe I have commented on every single NJ-based post in Critique bar one. And that one was because that particular person was posting a lot but offering no feedback at all to anyone else, which pissed me off.

Dan