Doctor In The House

I recently bought the boxset of Doctor series on Amazon and have stated watching the first series of the first in the series of shows, Doctor In The House. I was previously only familiar with the films. The series is a bit bawdier IMO but still good, but Martin Shaw overacts a bit though IMO. It's sad Barry Evans and Robin Nedwell died relatively young.

I started watching the recent repeats of this series on ITV3 but I have to say it hasn't aged well. The concept of oafish medical students causing chaos, attending lectures drunk, chasing dolly birds, mislaying corpses, printing mucky magazines all in an (NHS) environment isn't great cause for comedy. Some of the over-acting is also appalling. Martin Shaw and Simon Cuff spring to mind here.

It's right up (or down) there with OTB in the vulgarity stakes although suave Dick Stuart-Clark is a more believable lothario than ageing, ugly Stan & Jack.

One mystery for me - why did Robin Nedwell disappear in the sequel Doctor at Large and then reappear as the lead in later series when Barry Evans left?

I did enjoy it though when I watched it recently. It was better written than OTB and (a bit) more believable.

A bit more lengthy thread.

https://www.comedy.co.uk/forums/thread/1235/

I didn't mean to come over all 21st century and PC. I watched DITH and OTB in the 70s and still enjoy them today as period pieces but they do make one wince at times. :O

I know what you mean. There are times I also cringe but as I say I think the DITH scripts are much cleverer.