Should the Simpsons call it a day

I'm expecting a few bottles hurled at me, and a few pats on the back. It seems we've missed this gem when discussing some of the greatest sitcoms. I know it's animated, but at it's peak the Simpsons swept anything aside, and consistently produced belly laughs that I think no other show has achieved before or since.

It's lost it's magic though. Its' a combination of Sky or Channel 4 constantly churning out repeats (that I still sit and watch even though I have seen them thousands of times)and the writing in the more recent series standard has dropped, with laughs fewer on the ground, and the story lines increasingly disjointed.

With the long awaited (dreaded?) Simpsons Movie looming on the horizon, should Mr Groening use that as a full stop to the show, hopefully go out with a bang, and concentrate on the fresher Futurama?

I'm stood behind chicken wire, so theres no point in throwing large bottles.

I've thought that for the last four years or so.

No I think you're right Ginger Jesus. It is still funny but the episodes are not as consistently good as they once were. I think they played the celebrity card too often. To me, a lot of the best episodes have been without celebs or when the celebs haven't played themselves.

It may just be that we have all got used to it now and the constant repeats have diluted the humour (I deliberately avoid many of the repeats so as not to become over familiar with them). Nothing goes on forever. Seinfeld, Frasier, Only Fools and Horses, etc.. All ran out of steam in the end and perhaps the Simpsons is about to do the same.

I worry at the thought of a film though.

I agree with the celebrity point as well. Celebrities just get shoehorned into episodes for no real reason, apart from to try and get ratings. Even the most recent Sideshow Bob episode was rubbish. You could usually rely on Bob for a cracking episode (could they ever beat Cape fear though, "BART, LOOK AT MY NEW HOCKEY MASK AND CHAIN SAW") but the one where they went to Italy and Bob had a son was just shit. Actually, that could possibly go in the jumping the shark thread eh?

I'm concerned about the film as well. I think it will be pants. The only thing I can think of is that perhaps, recently, they've been saving all the decent jokes and putting them in the film, rather than in the series. Please let that be the case. Please.

I didn't see the one where Bob had a son, but I am behind on a few episodes cause I don't have Sky.

Sometimes the celebrity use comes off, such as the Michael Jackson one or the Homerpalooza episode which has the Smashing Pumpkins amongst others. But then I remember ones with the Who and Rolling Stones that were not great, and that awful tennis one which was full of dull players with very dull lines.

I will always love it though. Personal favourite is the one where Homer hallucinates after eating too much chilli and the great Johnny Cash appears as a coyote in his crazy dream. Don't know why but I love that episode.

I was going to mention that one in my last post. Its one of the best. When he heres the Space Coyotes voice in his mind

Space Coyote - Find your soul mate Homer, find your soul mate.
Homer - But where?
Space Coyote - I'm just your memory, I cannot give you any additional information.

Aaah. Great memories. Its an episode which is funny, clever and touching, all in one. I just think Johnny Cash is the icing on the cake. There are so many more great episodes but i could go on and on and on...

My favourite episode is still 3 Men & A Comic Book or Homer's Barbershop Quartet. Oh, and i can't forget Lisa's Substitute with Dustin Hoffman as the Teacher.

I too agree that the Simpons has gone on to long. It's like an old, ill dog. It has been a good and faithful friend, but it's time to put it down.

i think getting ricky gervais to write and star in a episode was a good touch, i heard he's doing another, it would be a great idea to let other comedians do the same. so i think it had outstayed it's welcome but now its improved it's the opposite.

I wish they'd call hit it on the head and move on. It was great, and is still ocassionally great, but surely we've gone as far with these characters as we possibly can?

I remember watching some preview tapes before it first hit the small screen over here and thinking how different and funny it was. Then on a visit to the States a couple of years ago I saw a Family Guy episode for the first time and realised what the Simpsons was lacking. FG has the 'jaw dropping' appeal that has long been missing in the Simpsons. Don't get me wrong, it's still got good moments but for me that's all it is these days but that, as they say, is life.

I recently bought season eight on DVD to remind myself how good it was during its prime. I don't have Sky One so don't get the chance to see many of the new episodes. The last one I saw was the Simon Cowell episode which had a few funny moments but was far from vintage Simpsons.

it's a good show and still is but not as good, i think it's downfall is that it is rammed down our throats due to sky one showing about 8 episodes non-stop, and when there is nothing else on i tune in to it, but it's always a ep[isode that has been shown about a hundred times, so i end up watching por,,,errrrrr documentaries Whistling nnocently Whistling nnocently Whistling nnocently

There are some show, and I include OFAH in this that miss there idea spot to stop so feel they might just as well carry on until they get to the next finishing point, with shows such as these (truly great shows) they have a very long way to fall before they become un watch able

Having said that I don’t have sky so don’t know just how bad the last few series got.