The Matt Lucas Awards - Series 1 Page 4

Quote: David Carmon @ May 9 2012, 12:56 AM BST

Glad to know you're so patriotic that you can't spell the name of the most important wall in Scotland. Thick or what.

Actually it's completely in England...

I've known the producer of this show for some years and he is a lovely guy, hence I really wanted to like the Lucas Awards. Sadly it is quite poor and Episode 5 was, to my mind, so bad that I actually felt quite embarrassed for those taking part in it. Julian Clary in particular had the look of someone who couldn't fathom why he had agreed to do something that was so unfunny and pointless.

Last night, there were several incidents where things appeared to go wrong and were left in but were not funny; the sequence where they narrated a section of the Bible was just terrible and boring - even Matt said so at one point, yet it was left in. As far as trying to get a second series goes, I fear this kind of sloppiness is fundamentally suicide.

What of Matt Lucas? I do think he is naturally very funny, and I am sure better vehicles for his talent will emerge in time. He is big enough, and popular enough, to survive this debacle.

This post has been edited to remove two sentences that did not comply with the BCG's rules on content within message board posts.

Quote: Jack F @ April 11 2012, 4:05 PM BST

I noticed that too, but I listened to Unbelievable Truth after watching the Lucas Awards. He was still the best guest on the show by far though.

I do wonder what was up with Graeme Garden. He must surely have known what the show was going to be like before agreeing to go on it? And since he was on it, he could have put a bit of effort in, rather than looking thoroughly bored and bemused. Errr

I thought the toilet sketch was funny, but not for the reason intended. It was the combined fact that it was a rubbish sketch and the audience clearly had no idea what to make of it!

I liked it Love Henning- where have you gone?...

I absolutely love the show. It's not quite as funny as all the other stuff Matt has done but it has a really warm sort of feeling to it. It is very much like the recent revival of Room 101 with Frank Skinner, which I also loved. The fifth episode (The one with Maureen Lipman, Julian Clary and whoever the hell that other bloke was) was absolute crap but all of the other ones, especially the first few, were just brilliant. I can't wait until tomorrow night's episode, which I believe features Ruth Jones, Griff Rhys Jones and David Baddiel. Such a shame it's the last episode though!

I rather enjoyed that campfire segment!

Quote: Tim Azure @ May 9 2012, 8:50 AM BST

Actually it's completely in England...

I didn't claim to be clever, but it was supposed to keep us out so I could rephrase and say it's the most important wall to Scotland.

Quote: David Carmon @ May 19 2012, 2:47 AM BST

I didn't claim to be clever, but it was supposed to keep us out so I could rephrase and say it's the most important wall to Scotland.

I don't know why you'd bother. That's just an English centred viewpoint and not fair to those Englanders on the other side of the wall...

Bugger. Didn't read your schedule properly and was expecting this to be on Radio 2

Was so looking forward to them taking the piss out of Ferguson.