Comedy about workers on a building site?

Around 1980 (I think) there used to be a comedy about some workers on a building site that was on about 11:30 at night, just when I came back from the pub.

One of those fairly gentle comedies that didn't try to shock or outrage. A bit of an anachronism really but I found it funny, the visit to the pub probably helped.

I think Daniel Peacock was in it but I may be wrong. I don't think it ran for many series but I've wondered what it was called for years and whether it is available to watch on YouTube or similar. Anyone else remember it?

Auf Wiedersehen Pet?
I never watched it, but it was about builders I think.

Daniel Peacock was a gardner in late 80s sitcom Valentine Park - but doesn't sound like what you're after.

If not Auf Wiedersehen, Pet, how about Cowboys?

https://www.comedy.co.uk/tv/cowboys/

Quote: zooo @ March 22 2012, 9:47 PM GMT

Auf Wiedersehen Pet?
I never watched it, but it was about builders I think.

YOU'VE NEVER SEEN AUF WEIDERSEHN?

You really have missed a classic! Watch it!!!!

Heh. Well maybe if they repeat it again I'll give it a go.

I seem to remember not understanding Jimmy Wotsit's accent.

No, not Auf Wiedersein Pet. That was with Jimmy Nail and co. Very good though. The one I'm thinking of was set on a housebuilding site and, if I remember correctly, centred around the site boss trying to get a days work out of his crew. I was a contractor at the time so it seemed a familiar theme!

Father Ted?

Cowboys sounds similar to the series but I would have remembered Colin Welland if he had been in it. Definitely wasn't Valentine Park. I think Daniel Peacock was the young one of the team, usually made to go for the sandwiches etc.

Father Ted?? How do you get Father Ted?
Oh I get it, you're Dougal.
No Dougal it isn't Father Ted.

Do you have any inkling whether the show might have been a comedy drama rather than sitcom?

I do have a faint recollection of Peacock playing a labourer in something, but I can't for the life of me work out what.

Quote: Aaron @ March 22 2012, 10:34 PM GMT

I do have a faint recollection of Peacock playing a labourer in something, but I can't for the life of me work out what.

Me too!

Quote: Corey O'Graffor @ March 22 2012, 10:17 PM GMT

Father Ted?

Cowboys, Ted!

I have a mental picture of one of the scenes where they are in front of a typical estate with half built houses, wheelbarrows full of bricks, skiving navvies on scaffolding pulling up buckets of mortar, practical jokes all day long. (Or was that one of the jobs I was on?)

I think there was about five or six in the team.

Can you remember anything else? Where it was set? Accents?

Sorry about the red herring with saying Daniel Peacock was in it but I think it may have been Big Jim and the Figaro Club.

No wonder I thought it was an anachronism, it was set in the 1950s. Watched a bit of it on YouTube and I think its the one.

I'll watch a bit more tomorrow and let you know.

Ah! Of course, yes, that would make sense. Fingers crossed...