The Sarah Millican Television Programme - Series 1 Page 2

The only person who thinks Sarah is really funny is Sarah.
Again the producers are trying to get real comedy on our screen and can't. They discover audiences don't find Sarah or Miranda Hart funny so move them to something else as they have given them a 2-3 year contract. :P

Quote: Goosey @ March 9 2012, 1:48 PM GMT

The only person who thinks Sarah is really funny is Sarah.

Were the other posters who found her funny on this thread invisible?

Just watched it. She seemed very nervous and her stand up was stilted. She didn't look comfortable like she does doing her own stand up shows, looked like she was reading the auto cue.

Quote: Goosey @ March 9 2012, 1:48 PM GMT

The only person who thinks Sarah is really funny is Sarah...
...they discover audiences don't find sarah or Miranda Hart funny

You appear to be extrapolating the perceptions of others from your own, while ignoring overwhelming evidence that those perceptions are not universally shared. This is not a sign of good mental health.

Quote: Tom G @ March 9 2012, 2:49 PM GMT

Just watched it. She seemed very nervous and her stand up was stilted. She didn't look comfortable like she does doing her own stand up shows, looked like she was reading the auto cue.

Yes, she looked far from happy, but I am a big fan of her radio show and trust she will find her feet.

Good stuff. Thought Sarah was really, really funny and the jokes well written. I even found her 'rabbit in the headlights' delivery somewhat charming.

The format is not her natural habitat, but she made a good fist of it. I liked the way they kept it chugging along - stand up, interview, stand up, web cam, stand up, interview leading to set piece.

I can't understand the criticism levelled, unless it's connected to her physical appearance, which is a shame as she is a very talented comedian.

I quite enjoyed it. It wasn't re-inventing the wheel, but it tootled along nicely enough and she's a nice screen presence.

I think this will eventually be a great format for her but it may take her a series to get comfortable. I imagine the majority of her material is written for her so it must feel a bit different to perform it.

Quote: Tom G @ March 9 2012, 11:07 PM GMT

I think this will eventually be a great format for her but it may take her a series to get comfortable. I imagine the majority of her material is written for her so it must feel a bit different to perform it.

Agreed. I also spotted the wandering autocue eyeballs. She relaxed a bit more with the audience interaction and the interviews where she could improvise a bit.

Strange editing on the programme though, the Chris Pac-Man interview just seemed to cut dead - which is no bad thing considering.

Very enjoyable. Sarah's one of my favourite current stand-ups, and the show offered a little taster as to why.

However, I also have to comment on the awkward delivery. I've no idea why it should be the case; it's not like it's the first time she's been on camera, or even on television. I hope it was just the first episode recorded or something, and nerves will have worn off soon.

Whilst it all tied in nicely as a whole, the move from sofa-based intro to stand-up segment, across the set, was really stilted too. Why not just start in the centre? Gave a nasty mechanical feeling of "that bit done, now time for the next piece", rather than any inkling it was an 'organic' piece of entertainment. I fear every episode will follow that format, but maybe I'll get used to it. Heyho.

I really enjoyed the show. Sarah was funny and endearing, without mentioning cakes too often.

I found the stage setup where Sarah was perched on a sofa whilst her guest sat behind a desk to be rather distracting though. And her constant wandering across the stage to do her 'stand-up' bits were a bit awkward.

Top Gear joke was funny!

Quote: zooo @ March 9 2012, 1:50 PM GMT

Were the other posters who found her funny on this thread invisible?

Don't forget that people are allowed to dislike any comedians regardless of their sex, comedy is subjective isn't it?

Sorry I didn't read the whole post you were replying to.
He chucked Mirandas Hart in there as well.
Yup! What we have here people is a possible sexist.

Quote: Steve Sunshine @ March 9 2012, 11:50 PM GMT

Don't forget that people are allowed to dislike any comedians regardless of their sex, comedy is subjective isn't it?

Sorry I didn't read the whole post you were replying to.
He chucked Mirandas Hart in there as well.
Yup! What we have here people is a possible sexist.

I didn't actually say anything about sexism though... Eh?
Was suggesting the poster's skills in observation were lacking.

Quote: zooo @ March 9 2012, 11:57 PM GMT

I didn't actually say anything about sexism though... Eh?

Me neither.

But it's there all the same. Rolling eyes

It's blimmin' everywhere!

I really like Sarah's stand-up and radio shows, but this was just BAD. Worse than that, utterly pointless.

Why do all stand-ups feel the need to do what are essentially 'comedic chat shows'? Graham Norton, Alan Carr, and now Sarah. All great (or formerly) stand-ups reduced to acting the fool on national television.