Hi, an Aussie newbie here

Hi I'm Claire and am new here.

I have been into British comedy for a long time mostly TV comedy including Monty Python, Little Britain, That Mitchell and Webb Look, Miranda etc. Recently I've enjoyed Green Wing and Absolutely Fabulous.

In the last year or so have become a fan of British radio comedy. Some of my favourites include Cabin Pressure, The Now Show and The News Quiz

Currently I'm enjoyed The Unbelievable Truth, John Finnemore's Souvenir Programme, Heresy, Dilemma, Another Case of Milton Jones, I'm Sorry I've haven't a Clue, It's Your Round, In and Out of the Kitchen, I, Regress, Mr and Mrs Smith, Continuity and Bleak Expectations.

Looking forward to talking to you all on here :)

Hi Claire welcome! Wave I love radio love all those progs, 2 to listen out for, the very funny 'Claire in the Community' about a stroppy social worker, and 'Fags Mags And Bags' asian corner shop set in Glasgow, lingo tough to understand!

Quote: dellas @ February 2 2012, 12:40 AM GMT

Hi Claire welcome! Wave I love radio love all those progs, 2 to listen out for, the very funny 'Claire in the Community' about a stroppy social worker, and 'Fags Mags And Bags' asian corner shop set in Glasgow, lingo tough to understand!

Hi dellas. I have listened to Clare in the Community before through the BBC Comedy of Week podcast. I'm not quite sure about it to be honest but I'm willing to give it another try.

Hi Claire *hands out Welcome Pack and pen* ...any decent comedy over in oz ? Seems to have gone quiet since the heady days of Paul Hogan and co.

I heart Kath and Kim. And there's Chris Lilley!

What's with all the Aussies lately? It's beginning to look like a London bar.

Oh, and Hello! Wave

Oh yeah, forgot to say hi.

Hi.
Wave

Gedday...had to do that, love the Aussie accent :) welcome.

Hi Claire, from a fellow Australian. Welcome. :)

Hello new Bruce

Quote: Allan OB @ February 2 2012, 12:54 PM GMT

Hi Claire *hands out Welcome Pack and pen* ...any decent comedy over in oz ? Seems to have gone quiet since the heady days of Paul Hogan and co.

There is a guy named John Safran who has done some good stuff in recent years. Also good is a crass, racist sitcom called Swift & Shift or perhaps Swift & Shift Couriers.

Quote: Lee @ February 2 2012, 1:08 PM GMT

What's with all the Aussies lately? It's beginning to look like a London bar.

That's one of Roy Chubby Brown's jokes. "Any Australians 'ere tonight?" "Yes!" "Well what fookin' pub do you work in then, eh?" Ho ho.

Quote: Allan OB @ February 2 2012, 12:54 PM GMT

Well there was Spicks and Specks which was a music panel show but it finished late last year after seven years.

I'm not a fan of Chris Lilley or Kath and Kim. Though there was a comedy drama called Laid last year which was really good. It was created and written by Marieke Hardy who used to be a presenter on Aussie radio station Triple J. There will be a second series this year. Also The Chaser is awesome and The Gruen Transfer, another panel show about advertising.

I tend to enjoy Aussie stand up more like Adam Hills, Wil Anderson, Fiona O'Loughlin etc.

Quote: Claire Hardiker @ February 3 2012, 2:21 AM GMT

Well there was Spicks and Specks which was a music panel show but it finished late last year after seven years.

That's good news. Have the 'stars' (presenter and two panelists) been lured away to more lucrative gigs? If so, why doesn't the ABC just get some new old faces to present/panelize? I thought it was one of the ABC's higher rating shows and it looked fairly cheap prodction-wise. Or is it time for something even worse and wackier?

Quote: Kenneth @ February 3 2012, 9:23 AM GMT

That's good news. Have the 'stars' (presenter and two panelists) been lured away to more lucrative gigs? If so, why doesn't the ABC just get some new old faces to present/panelize? I thought it was one of the ABC's higher rating shows and it looked fairly cheap prodction-wise. Or is it time for something even worse and wackier?

The ABC didn't axe it. It was Adam, Myf and Alan's decision to end the show on a high. Every year they decide to keep going or not.

Adam Hills' talk show starts again next Wednesday on the ABC. I know that Myf has a series about Aussie icons to be shown this year. Not sure about Alan though.

Quote: Claire Hardiker @ February 3 2012, 9:35 AM GMT

The ABC didn't axe it. It was Adam, Myf and Alan's decision to end the show on a high.

Ah, interesting; I had always just thought it was the ABC's polite version of Never Mind the Buzzcocks. It was vastly superior to the smug dullness of SBS's dreadful Rockwiz, which is not saying much. What a shame they never had Rolf Harris on.