Gervais - what a complete c*nt. Page 2

This hatred of Gervais i think spouts from one of two things, or maybe even both:

1) His undeniable talent and the jealousy of that talent.
2) Failure to realise that he plays a CHARACTER.

He's a great comedy writer, a great comedy actor, a great stand up, and will probably soon show his talents outside the comedy industry. If you can't see that you are delusional.

It is also astonishing that people still don't get he plays a character. Andy Millmen and David Brent are not Ricky Gervais. I'd also like to remind people of the reaction he got from the skit he did a Comic Relief, when he got a press bashing for ACTING, though Bono, Jamie Oliver, etc never got a bad word said to them for ACTING in the SAME skit. It boggles the mind. I am putting it down to jealousy and short-sight.

I'd agree with that, Walker.

Some people seem to genuinely believe that even in interviews he behaves like Brent/Millman. I really do fail to see it.

I wish they'd listen to his radio shows where he is completely himself, instead of just seeing him in the odd interview and judging him on that.

Isn't it strange how opinions differ... for me (and perhaps me alone) there was nothing funny whatsoever in 'The Office', none of the script and none of the performances... the whole thing just made me cringe... what was funny?

But I thought 'Extras' was pretty good and I do rate RG as one of the best of the current bunch of comedy actors on the strength of 'Extras' alone...

To call the guy a seeyounexttuesday is just ludicrous and I can only think it takes one to know one? Is that fair? I think so!

Fx :)

Quote: Frankie Rage @ July 7, 2007, 9:48 PM

Isn't it strange how opinions differ... for me (and perhaps me alone) there was nothing funny whatsoever in 'The Office', none of the script and none of the performances... the whole thing just made me cringe... what was funny?

Fx :)

That's such a one-dimentional view of The Office.

Tim was the funniest thing in the show - he represented most people watching. It was full of wonderful lines.

The training day episode goes down, for me, as one of the greatest 30 minutes of comedy ever created.

"All farmers have wives."
"Not this one, he's gay."
"Then he shouldn't be allowed near animals then should he?"

That's a wonderful bit of dialogue - we've all met people with that kind of stupid view.

"A bus driver must accept a stamp as legal tender."
"Yeah, that'll happen."
"If it doesn't, report him."
"Yeah, I'll report him as I'm walking home!"

And that's my favourite piece from both series. So realistic and sharp.

Ricky Gervais is what happens when people don't die young after they have created their 'master piece' its only down hill.

As for being a c*nt, well he is pink and flabby.

I didn't like The Office at first. I didn't get the hype at all. But I was on a flight to Spain and they put an episode of it on, which ironically was the one I originally watched. I had nothing better to do, so I watched it headphones and all. To my surprise, I found it funny. I bought the DVD and watched the entire thing, loving every second of it. I didn't get why I once didn't like it. Weird. I think The Office is something you need to acquire the taste for, and watch again.

Extras was much more sit-down-and-watch though. I liked it first time around.

P.S. As long as he keeps doing stand up he will never go down hill. Well, eventually he will, just not for a few more tours anyway.

I agree with what Walker said earlier.

Gervais is a master of irony and cringe and I wonder who people would put in his palce, from our modern crop of talent if they reckon he's not worthy of his, IMO, much deserved high reputation.

People will be still laughing at the Office & Extras in 20 or 30 year's time in much the same way as we do now at Fawlty Towers and Stepeoe and Son etc.

As an aspiring writer I'd be happy if I'd written 10 minutes of one episode let alone 4 series.

The knockers all said he and Merchant couldn't do it after The Office and when they did it was still suggested that he was a one trick pony. If you don't like the guy or what he does then fair enough but don't talk complete boll**ks and try and suggest that he's no good.

For leaving out any individuals' points of view, then by any measurement of success, it seems that popular opinion and the masses in general think otherwise and the phrase pissing in the wind springs to mind.

My post above was not my opinion I was just trying to give a reason why he has gone from hero to zero. If you don't die or retire after you career defining work then people will always criticise e.g. its not as good as...

Well I for one think there is more great stuff to come from RG & SM

The Office, Extras, Record breaking Podcast, Stand-Up, Kids Book (which is being made into a movie), met and worked with all his heroes, wrote an episode of the Simpsons.

Yeah he's a crappy one trick pony.

Rolling eyes

AJP I'm wasn't referring to your post at all but you've hit the nail on the head with Britain and its small-minded view of success.

For some reason we love to move heros to zeros and fu**ed if I know why. Good is good and those who are anti won't get too many to change their minds I think.

Take me for example, I think William Shakespeare's stuff is shit but I don't suppose I'm ever going to get the RSC to disband.

EDIT
As Leevil says:

Yeah! Some one trick pony Rolling eyes Rolling eyes

Quote: charley rance @ July 7, 2007, 8:57 PM

Who wants a skinng RG. I dont.

What the "fook" is a "skinng" anything? o_0

Quote: Frankie Rage @ July 7, 2007, 9:48 PM

Certainly not alone.

Quote: ajp29 @ July 7, 2007, 10:01 PM

Ricky Gervais is what happens when people don't die young after they have created their 'master piece' its only down hill.

As for being a c*nt, well he is pink and flabby.

Laughing out loud

Quote: Blenkinsop @ July 7, 2007, 10:53 PM

For leaving out any individuals' points of view, then by any measurement of success, it seems that popular opinion and the masses in general think otherwise and the phrase pissing in the wind springs to mind.

In which case, My Family is by far the greatest British comedy of the decade.
;)

[quote name="Aaron" post="33199" date="July 7, 2007, 11:29 PM"]What the "fook" is a "skinng" anything? o_0

Sorry Typo error.

SKINNY is what i meant.

Quote: Blenkinsop @ July 7, 2007, 11:11 PM

Take me for example, I think William Shakespeare's stuff is shit but I don't suppose I'm ever going to get the RSC to disband.

Not so much shit as brain-haemorragingly dull.

Quote: charley rance @ July 7, 2007, 11:31 PM

Sorry Typo error.

SKINNY is what i meant.

Aha! That makes a bit more sense! :D

I lurrrrve Shakespear.