Warm The Preacher

Martin is going door to door. Having had 21 slammed in his face he arrives at no 22. A house owned my Enid & Edna. He raps on the knocker.

Frail Voice from inside.
Wait a minute. I am on my way.

10 minutes later the door opens & a little old lady with a walking frame appears in the doorway.

Martin
Hello there Madam. My name is Martin & I have come to speak to you about the meaning of life.

Enid
(Gummy smile) (Oh! You had better come in then Dear. (Shouts as he walks through the door) EDNA! Come down stairs there is a preacher in the house.

Frail voice from upstairs.
Oooooooooh !

(Martin watches from the hallway as Edna slides down the banister in her stair lift. Her skirt flapping., showing her big spotty knickers. She gets out and limps towards them.

Edna
Well come through to the living room Dear. Make yourself comfortable. Take off your shoes & your Jacket.

Martin does as he is told & follows the ladies into the very hot living room and sits on a flowery settee. (The ladies sit tightly either side of him)

Martin
(Losening his tie) As I said I am here to talk about the meaning of life and…….

Enid
It’s a cult isn’t it.

Martin
(laughs) No not at all. I am a Jehovah Witness. ((Unbuttons his top two shirt buttons & wipes his brow)

Edna
Yes Dear a cult. Don’t you want virgins with long flowing locks. We are too old for you. Take your shirt off dear if your hot)

Martin
(Undoes more buttons) It is not a cult Madam it’s a religion.

Enid
I have some home baked buiscuits shaped into cult designs in the larder. I will go and get them. Did you want a glass of milk with them. I am afraid we are all out of goat or childs blood. Gets up on her frame and slowly ambles off to the kitchen.

Martin
No honestly the Jehovah Witness religion is not a cult.

Edna
All religions are cults dear. Some just spout the bible. Others show their adoration to the lord with animal & human sacrifice. It can be quite bloody I hear.

Martin
(Embarrassed) There are no sacrifices in our religion.

Edna
(Sucks in air) You don’t celebrate Christmas. That’s a sacrifice. Religion Dear, is one long sacrifice.

Martin
(Frowning) I meant no animal or human sacrifices. Its so hot in here. (Wipes his brow again)

Edna
(Leans closer) I understand Dear that you have to be very careful with the truth for fear of prosecution.

Enid returns balancing her biscuit tin on her walking frame, a glass of Milk spilling over her fingers as she totters. Enid hands the glass to Martin which slips in her frail hands & the contents spill into Martins lap.

Enid
Oooops. (Chuckles) Get out of those wet trousers Dear. I will put them into the tumbley dryer. They will go round & round (Moves her head in a circular motion) till they are all dry. We do like our tumbley dryer.

Martin
(Embarrassed) It’s okay.

Edna
Take them off. Don’t be shy. We are just little old ladies. (Slaps his leg playfully)

Martin takes off his trousers just as Enid opens the biscuit tin and offers it to Martin. He pulls out an animal shaped cookie with a blob of jam on its neck.

Enid
(Smiles)I see you went for the pig with the slit throat Dear.

Martin screws his face up & reluctantly nibbles on the cookie.

Edna
(Looks at Enid) Shall we confide in him.

Enid
If you think we can trust him.

Edna
Oh I do. (Takes a deep breath) Well Dear, we are a cult too. We are members of the O.L.D.A. That stands for. (Old Ladies Do Anything) (licks her lips in attempt at looking seductive). You know what DO ANYTHING means don’t you. (Starts thrusting her crotch) That home baked biscuit you have just eaten is laced with a particular composition, which will render you unconscious in (Looks at her watch) ooooooh, about 2 minutes. (Rubs her hands together with glee)

Martins face drops and he goes a shade of grey. He starts to get up.

Enid
(Pats the space on the sofa) Don’t fight it dear, its ok .

Martin grabs his clothes & runs out of the house.
Enid & Edna start to howl with laughter.

Enid
Suckers. (They laugh some more).

Very good and believable IMO Charlie without being at all over the top! As an irreverant aside I don't think the JWs give up quite that easily though, they frequently visit here and I've tried 'expanding' the topic of conversation a bit by digging out my copies of Crowley's 'Magick', The Mo Letters, Book of Mormon, Scientology 0-8, and so on, and quoting bits back at them. Pointless diversionary tactic, except for anything to do with Buddhism! Good stuff Charley, I'd like to see more of Edna & Enid.

Thanks Lossa.
I do have an idea for them but I am writing too many little old ladies
stuff.
I Might have them go to the retirement home to see Mary.
I wonder who would come off worse.

I just tell any JW here that I am a satanist. That gets rid of them now. I tell them that I will gladly come to one of their meetings as long as I can have a turn to preach.
THEY DONT EVEN TRY TO SELL ME THEIR MAGS ANYMORE.
Infact I havent had one at my door for almost a year now.

Yes good Charley.

Not too vulgar and some nice wordy things that appeal to me (tumbley dryer being one I really liked)

I didn't see the end coming either and when you did the reveal I was surprised that they were just scaring him off. I'd got caught up in the story thinking he was going to imprisoned or something like that.

I really think that this sort of thing is better than some of your more full-on stuff and would have a wider appeal to potential outlets.

But then I'm just a kinda old fashioned guy

Really enjoyed it.

I was totally drawn in and didn`t see the end coming either. Great characters. Lol at those biscuits!

Very impressive, Charley! Some delightful touches and very well structured. I really liked this one. As an alternative ending, maybe it could end with the JW going under from his POV. AS everything goes blurry, maybe the old lady says something menacing like, "Now, let's wear this blindfold, we don't want Jehovah to witness this." It could then fade out with his muffled screams. That said, the sight of men running away carrying their trousers is always funny!

Another great sketch... very well done!!! :D :D :D

Frankie xxx