Dad's Army - Pike Page 2

Apart from nearing 40 I believe Walker was craftily avoidng call-up without being a deserter. There is an episode about his role fulfilling MOD contracts for making aerials or something, using Italian POWs.

Quote: Tim Azure @ December 4 2011, 9:31 AM GMT

And Private Sponge?

I was wondering about him. Possible he was the one with flat feet? I'm sort of doubting whether he ever played enough of a role for it to be questioned though.

Quote: Tim Azure @ December 4 2011, 9:31 AM GMT

And Private Sponge?

I think Sponge was supposed to be a farmer.

Quote: William Purry @ December 8 2011, 5:59 PM GMT

I think Sponge was supposed to be a farmer.

Taken from the website of The Dad's Army Appreciation Society . .

Private Sponge
Local sheep farmer and regular member of the platoon. Private Sponge was in charge of the number two section of the platoon - Corporal Jones' opposite. Sometimes forgotten by Captain Mainwaring, they took over once Jones' section had finished. Private Sponge was asked to provide a ram from his flock for The Big Parade, but it was a the time of year when they were "a bit funny" and very difficult to catch. His farm, on which he lived with his wife, was situated quite close to the town, or at least within a short march.

http://www.dadsarmy.co.uk/

Quote: officialsimon @ 3rd December 2011, 7:51 PM

I don't know the Dad's episode guide back to front, but does anyone know why it was that someone as young as Private Pike wasn't at any time called up?

Private Pike 76 today. Hope he's going out for a fish & chip supper.

Hope he's wearing his scarf, too!

Quote: Vicky Pollard @ 3rd December 2011, 9:23 PM

I believe it was because Walker was allergic to corned beef. I don't remember in which episode it was mentioned.

Hmm, okay that was the reason Walker gave but really? - it being a comedy and corned beef being the staple army ration, the joke being 'allergic to military service'. As such I believe it's left to viewers to make up their minds about the real reason and there's no doubt in my mind the resourceful Pte Walker found his own way of dodging his call up. I missed the recent remake of that episode so don't know how they played it, but if they did a literal take on the allergic to corned beef thing, they were clearly wrong imo. Morning.