Hero to Zero...?

I watched Kill Bill: Vol 2 for the first time last night. And what a tedious load of twaddle it was. I'm afraid that, coupled with the upcoming Grindhouse, Quentin Tarrantino must join the list of once talented people who are now irritating twats. My other nomination for this would be Michael Moore. Back when he did Roger and Me and Bowling For Columbine I used to really love him. Now, post Fahrenheit 911, I think he's a bit of an annoying fat bastard. Any other people like this? Once great, but now tossers?

I must admit Quentin has lacked since his earlier work no doubt, but he's still a fine movie maker and Kill Bill 1&2 did very well so I wouldn't say he's an annoying twat...

Michael Moore on the other hand...

I quite like the Kill Bill films. They're a pretty good homage to traditional Asian martial arts films. If you don't like Kung Fu films, you probably won't enjoy Kill Bill.

But I agree, I think Tarantino is pretty much a 90's director. I don't understand his endorsement of the Hostel films either.

I don't really have a problem with Kill Bill: Vol 12 and found it fairly enjoyable. But when you watch Vol 2 you realise that you're going round in circles. A less self-indulgent film maker would have boiled both films down to a tight two hours.

It was meant to be an epic journey of revenge.

Anyway, I feel the same way about Lord of the Rings. Snore-fest, IMO.

Does Tony Blair qualify? I mean, everyone (apart from me, it seems) loved him back in 1997, and not pretty much everyone thinks he's a total c**t. Hero to zero?

I liked both kill bills, i thought the first was more entertaining for a one off watch but, the second was a better constructed film, although the whole black and white thing annoyed me after a while, and the scenery was quite boring, IMO the first was better but the second was also quite good.

Did you watch Kill Bill 2 not having seen Kill Bill 1?

If so, I'm not surprised it made no sense.

I love all Tarantino's films so far. Jackie Brown the least though.

I'm afraid there's a reason Quentin Tarantino only made a handful of good films.

When I say a reason, I mean apart from him being a dickhead.

That reason is Roger Avery.

?

'?' ?

Liked Resevoir Dogs but I'm not one for grisly. Pulp Fiction was excellent. JBrown was a great film tho less typical of him.

But Kill Bill - watched for the fact that it was QT and didn't go for them. I agree, the Kung-Fu was never my genre but he dragged the plots out when they'd have made an over-long short. Remove the fights and it would be a 10 page script (almost).

I loved Kill Bill. Want to be Uma Thurman.

That whole sequence where she kills the Crazy 88 single handed. So ace.

I don't know, maybe some people don't like it so much because it's a female main protaganist?
Nah, even men aren't that shallow...

The 88 around her in a circle was ridiculous in an "Irates of the Carribean - At My Wits' End" sense.

But you're right in that, Zooo, it is a case of genre - the Kung Fu genre is not about realism (which seems to be one of QT's particular early strengths) but about one-upmanship of the ridiculous or sublime (depending on Point of View).

Not to do with a female protagonist (honest) and yes to Uma Thurman. Do you remember her in that Python spin-off (Eric the Viking was it?) She's a goddess.

Kill Bill Vol. 1 and 2 are fantatic movies I think, really enjoyable, funny, stylish and thrilling. And I have to dispute someones earlier claim that Avery was the real genius behind Tarantino, thats an old and tired and just plain not true claim. If it was true, then whats he done since? His output has been slim and poor. He no doubt added to the scripts he worked on with tarantino, but to claim he had more of an influence than he did is, I think, just not true.