Could Leonard Rossiter have played Basil Fawlty?

Have been watching Rising Damp - for the first time, really - and am finding it very good. I'd watch the odd episode in the past out of sequence - and consequently thought it was pretty weak and didn't 'get it'. However, watching it in order on DVD has enabled me to get to know the character and the dynamics of the situation - and now I get it! And it's good.

I thought Rossiter was brilliant as Reggie Perin. But it has only occured to me as I've watching him playing Rigsby that he might have made a great Fawlty, as there are similarities between Rigsby and Fawlty. Rossiter was probably a bit old to play Basil - but apart from that...

Of course there is no other Fawlty but Cleese - but despite lacking Cleese's height, if he was a bit younger I think Rossiter could have made a brilliant Fawlty too.

Yes, he could have played him and been almost as memorable, I reckon. Rigsby is quite similar, yes, not on looks maybe, but personality traits. The characters aren't a million miles apart either, one a hotelier, one a bedsit landlord. I can't really think of any other actor I'd want playing Basil, if Cleese wasn't able to do it. Rossiter was a very good actor and he'd have pulled off the more manic and barmy traits of Fawlty, I reckon.

Having said that, Cleese's Fawlty is still the best sitcom character ever, everything was perfect, including the height and gangliness, so I don't think Rossiter would have been quite as memorable. The best 2nd choice certainly, but Cleese was the best 1st choice, and it was his own creation, which made it that bit more special.

Good call. Maybe a bit off-topic but I always thought he would have made a superb Victor Meldrew as well.

Rossiter could have played any role you like

The man was a sodding genius

Quote: Steve Charlie @ November 10 2011, 6:46 AM GMT

I thought Rossiter was brilliant as Reggie Perin. But it has only occured to me as I've watching him playing Rigsby that he might have made a great Fawlty, as there are similarities between Rigsby and Fawlty. Rossiter was probably a bit old to play Basil - but apart from that...

I've always thought of Fawlty as older than he was, so it is possible. Ronnie Barker was down to play Reginald Perrin, apparently.

Ronnie Barker was also the first choice to play Frank Spencer!!

Norman Wisdom also turned it down.

Wisdom was first choice, wasn't he? Written for him, I believe? I don't recall hearing Barker linked with SMDAE before.

I can totally imagine Wisdom playing him, but not Barker!!

Rossiter is a superior comic actor to Cleese, so yes.

He would have done it very well I'm sure, but I don't think it's fair to say that someone else could definitely have done Basil Fawlty better than Cleese did it.

Besides there was absolutely nothing wrong with the way Cleese did it, so really we're asking for a solution to a problem that doesn't exist!

Though the BBC had wanted Norman Wisdom or Ronnie Barker for the role, Crawford was the perfect choice, combining an air of innocence with the youth and athleticism necessary to perform some of the biggest and most dangerous stunts British comedy would ever see.

Quote: lofthouse @ November 13 2011, 12:30 AM GMT

Though the BBC had wanted Norman Wisdom or Ronnie Barker for the role, Crawford was the perfect choice, combining an air of innocence with the youth and athleticism necessary to perform some of the biggest and most dangerous stunts British comedy would ever see.

Yes, I think the stunt element was a big part of SMDAE.

Rossiter was multi-talented, because he said to have also been a great footballer when he was young, and had trials for Everton.

If it hadn't been for the war - who knows?

:)

Could Cleese have pulled off Rigsby though? Doubt it - Reggie, possibly.