Impressions - are they satire? Are they funny? Page 2

I think there is a good reason why impression based sketch shows are generally not that good.

Many great comedians have started their careers as immpressionists, but then moved on to their own creations, eg: Steve Coogan, Rob Brydon, Harry Enfield, Peter Serafinowicz etc. They may still use this skill in their comedy (The Trip, The Peter Serafinowicz Show), but it is not the focus of their work.

The ones that don't have the writing/acting skills to move on from doing impressions have no choice but to stick with it, eg: Jon Culshaw, Alistair McGowan, Debra Stephenson etc. So the end result (particularly the writing) is not of the highest quality.

There are exceptions of course, possibly Rory Bremner. Also, Stella Street was very funny.

Quote: Aaron @ October 30 2011, 1:19 PM GMT

See The Trip.

I agree. Well worth a watch.

I find that most impression shows leave me cold and bring back traumatic childhood memories of Copy Cats and the like.

There was one blonde woman and all she could do was Dot Cotton, so everyone of her set ups had to involve Dot Cotton - 'I was watching Star Wars the other day and I thought how funny it would be if Dot Cotton was in it as Darth Vader, etc.'

Where impressions work stunningly well, is when they caricature to the point that the impression is more believeable than the subject's real voice. Craig Daaaaavid!

Even during the funeral of Kim Jong Il, all I could think about was Team America.

Yarwood was great. He didn't have to say anything. You recognised who he was doing purely on his facial transformation.

Phil Cool had his moments: his JR Ewing and his lizard transformation from "V" were classics..

..and I remember seeing Chris Barry at Clapham Jongleurs (1985?) and being very impressed with his then-portfolio..

..and Steve Coogan's early impression routine of rock stars being reincarnated as football hooligans was short but very sweet..

..but a last shout for one of the great unsung heroes of the genre: Kate Robbins.

Quote: joebloggs69 @ October 30 2011, 11:17 AM GMT

Like a lot of people, I can't stand impressionists (insert Monet joke here).

And yet I love satire, particularely political. I like Spitting Image, but can't stand Rory Bremner or Jon Culshaw even though I know full well they provided some of the voices.

It just strikes me as not really being satire, or comedy, it's just one step on from being a mime. I am fully prepared to eat my words if someone can persuade me otherwise.

Rory Bremner doesn't lack good political satire and in the later years the impressions were a vehicle for his political comedy.

In general though satire for impressionists doesn't usually extend much further than sticking a Harold Wilson pipe in the mouth and making a joke about how much tax overrated Saturday night entertainers were being paid.

Quote: Peter Brouhaha @ October 30 2011, 2:38 PM GMT

When they're good, impressionists are like caricerturists.

This.

In terms of impressionist comedy shows the best for me are Spitting Image and the radio version of Dead Ringers. The reason for this is simple - you don't see the impressionists.

Instead you have the image of what the person looks like in your head, or the puppet caricature, which often lead to the impression fitting the puppet rather than being an exact portrayal of the person (Harry Enfield on Spitting Image for example. Not the greatest impressionist, but he could make the voice fit the puppet well, such as his Leon Brittan).

If you see the impressionist dressed up as the character they are impresonating I think it destroys the image somewhat.

I thought Stella Street was a brilliant series with some great impressions. The notion of Mick and Keith running the corner shop was inspired and though some of the impressions weren't strictly accurate, the world they created and inhabited was more than enough to keep me thoroughly entertained.

Aaron? You've had your (avatar) hair cut. You nearly look butch, now.

{This post is off topic}.

The old avatar was 6 years old. This one's 9 years old. But my hair is indeed now at the shorter length...

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ April 11 2012, 8:08 PM BST

I thought Stella Street was a brilliant series with some great impressions. The notion of Mick and Keith running the corner shop was inspired and though some of the impressions weren't strictly accurate, the world they created and inhabited was more than enough to keep me thoroughly entertained.

Really good natured silliness.

They did something different with the format other than standing around asking what Frank Spencer would have thought and putting a beret on.

It was also a great showcase for all of Phil Cornwall's talents; the Michael Caine and Mick Jagger impression.