Death in Paradise

Anyone else catch this?
Not sure I've ever 'un-series linked' anything so fast in my life.
Miller struggled manfully but was powerless against an unbearably twee script.
Faintly racicst as well, if I'm not mistaken.

I shouldn't generalise from a few seconds clip but I'll guess anyway-

Ben Miller is a tight arsed fish out of water Brit transposed to the laid back sunny topical island of Mascara. The local policemen are likeable but incompetent West Indian versions of Nick Frost's country cop.

He probably gets help from a wily local fisherman with a boat, a sexy tourist guide and at some point will get stoned with a local Rasta with some pearls of wisdom about how PC Miller should chill out to help him solve the case.

The Independent gave it a pretty scathing review!

Quote: youngian @ October 26 2011, 12:49 PM BST

I shouldn't generalise from a few seconds clip but I'll guess anyway-

Ben Miller is a tight arsed fish out of water Brit transposed to the laid back sunny topical island of Mascara. The local policemen are likeable but incompetent West Indian versions of Nick Frost's country cop.

He probably gets help from a wily local fisherman with a boat, a sexy tourist guide and at some point will get stoned with a local Rasta with some pearls of wisdom about how PC Miller should chill out to help him solve the case.

Bingo!
Except it's not even this good.

Quote: Lazzard @ October 26 2011, 11:14 AM BST

Faintly racicst as well, if I'm not mistaken.

No more so than Doc Martin is racist against Cornish people. The metropolitan fish out of water thrown in with colourful yokels is a standard set up, and this was no worse than most such. The acting was good and the whodunnit plot reasonably clever.

I enjoyed it. Yes, it's like Doc Martin abroad. And with a policeman.

Thought the whole thing was very weak, badly written and directed and a little condascending. Like the locals couldn't solve a murder so they needed a stuck up Brit detective to help them. And with all the obvious Caribbean, backwater cliches. Whats even more surprising is this is the writer's first project. A pretty big investment by the Beeb considering the cast and location.

Quote: bob4apples @ November 1 2011, 1:08 PM BST

Like the locals couldn't solve a murder so they needed a stuck up Brit detective to help them.

The entire plot of the first episode ultimately revolves around this point, so it is not as if it is an issue the makers are unaware of.

The premise of the show is as unoriginal as they come, and absolutely depends on exploiting cliches; but it is a sturdy enough formula and I thought this a well enough executed example of the genre.

Nothing ground breaking but nice easy viewing for an hour. Ben Miller is always good value, the whodunnits have been interesting enough and lovely location views too.

So far these had been quite clever but this one was seriously obvious.

I guessed it, but didn't twig the twist.

Better plot this week, but Shirley Henderson...

Yeah, she was weird.

I like this so far, nice to see tropical seas in mid winter than dreary rain drenched streets in London

Thought I'd watch this tonight as a friend told me it's a different story every week.

Kris Marshall is a bit eccentric and did a couple of "Clouseaus". Also featured "Drop the Dead Donkey's" Haydn Gwynne.

Next episode has Mark Heap in it.