Talk to me about pies Page 4

I make a damn good steak and kidney pie.

Sweet wise, I am planing to attempt a grasshopper pie. No bugs are harmed.

Oh is that one of those bright green ones? They look amazing.

Quote: AngieBaby @ October 22 2011, 11:14 PM BST

I like a pie, but can't be bothered with all the pastry, I do really like a Scottish pie because the pastry is really thin and it gets crispy, not flaky,

I agree with Angie. Scotch pies are lovely. I like one with fresh White bread and butter and brown sauce.

Quote: Will Cam @ October 23 2011, 10:47 PM BST

I agree with Angie. Scotch pies are lovely. I like one with fresh White bread and butter and brown sauce.

No.they're greasy and revolting BUT if you take the same pastry and fill it with rhubarb instead of meat, it's the best pie in the universe.

I've never heard of a Scotch/Scottish pie.

I had, um, potato scones? In Scotland for the first time.
They were weird but yum.

Quote: zooo @ October 23 2011, 10:56 PM BST

I had, um, potato scones? In Scotland for the first time.
They were weird but yum.

Did you have them cold with butter or fried? Either way delicious.

Fried, with a lovely fried breakfast. Delish.

I will have to try and find them somewhere in Tesco! They'd better exist in England.

I think there's a similar thing called potato farls. I've seen them in M & S. Also something called Irish potato cakes but don't know where you get them.

Quote: zooo @ October 23 2011, 10:56 PM BST

Here one is......

Quote: keewik @ October 23 2011, 11:24 PM BST

I think there's a similar thing called potato farls. I've seen them in M & S. Also something called Irish potato cakes but don't know where you get them.

I make potato cakes out of left over cold mashed potato, flour, onion, butter, shaped and fried down till nice and golden

The TV chef Paul Rankin does a range too, farls, potato cakes, soda bread, currant soda, can get them in Tesco.

Phwoarrrr.

I love soda bread. First met it in Ireland when the owner of the self-catering cottage left it for us when we arrived.

Shepherds Pie. Can someone explain what a cottage pie is, as I still don't know. Is it a shepherds pie with carrots? If it is, I hate it.

Can't be arsed reading this thread.

Has anybody made a "hairy fish pie" joke yet, or shall I?

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ October 24 2011, 10:24 AM BST

Shepherds Pie. Can someone explain what a cottage pie is, as I still don't know. Is it a shepherds pie with carrots? If it is, I hate it.

Beef instead of lamb, iirc.

Oh in that case it's shepherds pie I hate. It must be cottage pie I've been eating all these years. Yum.