Tips On Writer's Block Page 2

I seem to remember reading Graham Greene say he'd finish every day's writing in the middle of a sentence, so that he'd always have something easy to get him going the next day.

And what does he know about

I've been thinking about writer's block, and found this thread. Some very sensible advice, especially from Lazzard.

Quote: Lazzard @ October 9 2011, 9:06 AM BST

First write it like a little story - "A goes to meet B finds he's got an emu in his flat (this is a Rod Hull vehicle BTW) then learns that the vicars coming to tea so has to hide it in the attic - which is already full of Jews in hiding."

What if you get writer's block trying to write the little story?

Quote: Nogget @ March 12 2013, 7:36 AM GMT

I've been thinking about writer's block, and found this thread. Some very sensible advice, especially from Lazzard.

What if you get writer's block trying to write the little story?

Go to the pub.

Ok one technique that works for me is what I call place filling.

Basically get to the point you can't write and write anything. Write lobo ipsum or what ever.

Then keep going and go back and replace it later.

Lore ipsum dolar sit amet...

(Apparently it was part of a script by Cicero)

Biffy Cicero?

Right, I've written my 2,00 words, and let me say - sorry, must dash.

Quote: sootyj @ March 12 2013, 9:59 AM GMT

Ok one technique that works for me is what I call place filling.

Basically get to the point you can't write and write anything. Write lobo ipsum or what ever.

Then keep going and go back and replace it later.

Yes, that can do the trick, although it can lead to a certain lack of flow when you read back though that bit, as if it creates a bump which is hard to iron out. Sometimes I have to rewrite the whole section in order to solve this.

Quote: Lazzard @ October 9 2011, 9:06 AM BST

"A goes to meet B finds he's got an emu in his flat (this is a Rod Hull vehicle BTW) then learns that the vicars coming to tea so has to hide it in the attic - which is already full of Jews in hiding."

Is that the episode where Emu eats the little Jewish girl's diary and then goes on to sexually assault Michael Parkinson? :P

I find having this as my desktop gives me a gentle nudge.

The thought of impending bills and dying a pauper also motivates me somewhat.

Some very good advice here, thanks.

There is no such thing as writer's block. You never hear of painter's block or golfer's block.

The reason you can't write and nothing 'comes' is because you have nothing to 'say'. If you expect to be able to write all the time then you're a hack.

Quote: Godot Taxis @ July 8 2013, 1:08 PM BST

There is no such thing as writer's block. You never hear of painter's block or golfer's block.

The reason you can't write and nothing 'comes' is because you have nothing to 'say'. If you expect to be able to write all the time then you're a hack.

... or got literal diarhoea.

Quote: Godot Taxis @ July 8 2013, 1:08 PM BST

I expect to be able to write all the time. One thing I've learnt recently is that I am inspired by the physical act of writing. If I keep going I will eventually hit upon something worth saying.

If I sat and waited for inspiration to strike, I think I would be waiting forever!

My tip is a website called 'Write or Die'. You can set a time or word limit, then you have to keep typing. If you stop, the screen starts flashing red. I find it quite effective.

Oh, and I would love to be a hack. That would mean I was making my living writing, which is my dream :)