Can you bounce ideas off yourself?

Two writers can bounce ideas off each other. Are there any tricks to emulate this effect if you're writing alone?

While the men in white coats aren't listening I do try to run through my stuff out loud but the problem I have is although I'm fairly good at identifying targets I need someone to sharpen the idea up.
So no, can't help you there.

Nothing like having someone else to bounce off...(ok, with that gem out of the way!) I know ideas come to when I least try, like last thing at night before I go to sleep. In some ways I prefer to keep an idea to myself until It's a bit more formed and I have something written down. Someone else's take can hold me back in the initial stages, don't know why that is.

You could try and replicate the persistent questions from children by asking "Why?" after every scene explanation and write down any interesting ideas as they develop.

You could also look at embellishing a gag by upping it notch or two every time. By that I mean a man slipping on a banana skin would be funny but howabout if we made him a butcher...carrying a load of sausages...which get eaten by a pack of stray dogs...and when they're finished the butcher is missing a leg...

Get the idea? :)

It's certainly possible. Brainstorming works better with more people but it's possible to do it on your own - ideas throw up other ideas.

I alway say 24 hours is a fresh perspective.

So write the questions answer them tomorrow.

Or put on other 'hats' - for example read it through once as the 'gag lover' who just can't put enough verbal jokes in, every one is an extra laugh and will score you points. Then go back through it as the 'logic nazi' who won't let them stand if they're not character motivated or consistent. And then maybe the 'slapstick editor' whose job is to look for all the visual jokes that the other two guys missed.

Gets quite crowded in my head sometimes.

If you're bouncing ideas 'between yourself', try pretending that the other person is the writer you most want to be - maybe literally an existing famous writer*, or just an idealised version of yourself. That way you'll have to pick up your own game in order to match the other you's output. It's amazing how gullible our brains are.

(*"what do YOU think should happen next, Stephen King...?")

Some great replies, thanks. Does anyone use a randomising method, like consulting the I Ching or Oblique Strategies?

I usually bounce my ideas off the dog.

Oh wait, this is a writing thing?

Carry on.

Is that your dog that keeps telling you to kill women?

Your middle name isn't Berkowitz is it?

Quote: Nogget @ September 19 2011, 8:49 AM BST

Two writers can bounce ideas off each other. Are there any tricks to emulate this effect if you're writing alone?

Any further thoughts?

If you don't want to use critique for your free advice, then You could use the BCG as a dating site 'Looking for Mr/Mrs write'. Identify someone whose work you like and see if they want to play 'i'll show you mine if you show me yours'. You could do this via email on a daily or weekly basis.

My ad might read -

'Middle aged sad sacks would like to meet comedy whippet to do all the heavy lifting. Only comedic genius with industry connections need apply.

If you want to keep it in house I agree with Sooty that there is no substitute for time delivered perspective. Although reading it out loud can be useful.

Quote: Afinkawan @ September 19 2011, 10:16 AM BST

It's certainly possible. Brainstorming works better with more people but it's possible to do it on your own - ideas throw up other ideas.

That's how it tends to go with me.

I'll read something, which will set me off on a train of thought. Which will then lead on to something else and so on, until derailment or loss of franchise.

If I wrote scripts whilst flying a biplane through a barn, would that be barnstorming ideas?

Quote: sootyj @ October 21 2013, 1:22 PM BST

If I wrote scripts whilst flying a biplane through a barn, would that be barnstorming ideas?

The Wizard of Oz.

That was a barnstorming idea.