The Sitcom Mission 2012 Page 22

We've done workshops in Manchester, Leeds and Nottingham but we're sticking to London unless you want to get some mates together and book us for the day, as a writing group in Cambridge did recently.

We also do a script reading service for those who can't make the Help! I've Written A Script workshop. We'll be doing the next one in mid-January.

And so far we've had a dozen or so entries, but there's over two months to go. Last year we had 400 entries on the closing date.

Quote: Declan @ November 25 2011, 2:17 PM GMT

We've done workshops in Manchester, Leeds and Nottingham but we're sticking to London unless you want to get some mates together and book us for the day, as a writing group in Cambridge did recently.

We also do a script reading service for those who can't make the Help! I've Written A Script workshop. We'll be doing the next one in mid-January.

And so far we've had a dozen or so entries, but there's over two months to go. Last year we had 400 entries on the closing date.

Thanks might be something to consider would we need to find a venue?

Yes you'd need to find a venue - the group in Cambridge used a theatre bar and there's also pub function rooms and church halls etc.

And then you'd need to decide whether you want to make it public or keep it to you and people you invite along. PM me if you want further details.

"jacksy" just made me laugh. I am now going to write a script based, entirely, on a character called 'Jacksy'. I'm not sure I'm approaching this writing carry on properly though. Where's Marc?

Starting with a central character is not a bad place to start! ;)

Quote: Marc P @ November 25 2011, 2:51 PM GMT

Starting with a central character is not a bad place to start! ;)

Thank you. Now if you could tell me some brilliant scrapes I can get Jacksy into and make my script hilarious I'll start writing it...when Jugde Judy finishes.

Have him fill in a lottery slip wrong with hilarious consequences!

Genius. Then maybe he falls through the counter when the newsagent lifts the opening breaking the things on the shelf...when the newsagent asks his name his friend shouts "Don't tell him Jacksy"?

Quote: rwayne @ November 25 2011, 3:12 PM GMT

Genius. Then maybe he falls through the counter when the newsagent lifts the opening breaking the things on the shelf...when the newsagent asks his name his friend shouts "Don't tell him Jacksy"?

:D :D

Can't wait to read 'Don't tell him Jacksy'. So long as it isn't a poem, full-length play or synopsis with no script attached.

Even if it is entered 'in good faith'.

Quote: rwayne @ November 25 2011, 2:59 PM GMT

Thank you. Now if you could tell me some brilliant scrapes I can get Jacksy into and make my script hilarious I'll start writing it...when Jugde Judy finishes.

You could have him scraping his jacksy with a lottery ticket...

Quote: rwayne @ November 24 2011, 11:06 PM GMT

A sitcom needs to make you laugh, surely, that's the only 'rule'!

Not in my book, no. A great sitcom can make you love it, watch it, buy DVDs of it, via a variety of means. Making you laugh is probably the general proirity, but if every prospective writer were to follow that rule only, then all we'd ever get would be sitcoms like NGO which are overstuffed with jokes and utterly puny on other sitcom essentials, like character, narrative, etc etc.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ November 26 2011, 10:40 AM GMT

Not in my book, no. A great sitcom can make you love it, watch it, buy DVDs of it, via a variety of means. Making you laugh is probably the general proirity, but if every prospective writer were to follow that rule only, then all we'd ever get would be sitcoms like NGO which are overstuffed with jokes and utterly puny on other sitcom essentials, like character, narrative, etc etc.

You're right, of course.
What I should have said is it's the one rule you can't ignore. Without being
funny it's not a sitcom...it's just sit.

OK, we've now reached the halfway point for the script deadline. I'm curious to know how everyone's getting on. Come on - put your cards on the table. Me? I've done about 9 minutes so far.

My work is already finished; I'm going to be entering this thread as my entry.

I'm almost completely happy with the title of mine.