BBC One sitcom pilots call Page 2

Interesting. Although these days BBC One does seem to have a depressingly low opinion of what mainstream audiences want.

How do you enter?

What is the address to send the work into?

Quote: Ash Man @ August 31 2011, 6:49 PM BST

How do you enter?

What is the address to send the work into?

Insignificant info as yet.

My entry for both Sitcom Mission and Laughing Stock has been changed and come under a heavy edit, but I might just submit my other idea, providing its fully written in time.

Am I likely to get anywhere? Probably not, but there's no harm in submitting something.

Quote: Lazzard @ August 30 2011, 1:12 PM BST

And it absolutely isn't an open submission.

Is this just your opinion or do you actually know something?

The article in Chortle definitely suggests writers will be given instructions on how to submit scripts. It could be nonsense of course, but I can't say for certain it is or it isn't. Can you?

Just reading the original article, and was wondering if anyone had heard or had ideas about this?

'Separately, Cohen said that BBC One's audience has an average age around 50, and that more programming should reflect this - it is not known how this will be reflected in the channel's comedy output'

Quote: Frantically @ September 6 2011, 10:41 PM BST

The article in Chortle definitely suggests writers will be given instructions on how to submit scripts. It could be nonsense of course, but I can't say for certain it is or it isn't. Can you?

Looks from the article as if it's a general mission statement that has been interpreted by some media to mean that there will be a call for unsolicited scripts. Can't find anything saying this, but they may well do. But they're cutting it a bit fine if they want transmittable fresh scripts in a month (presuming they open submissions sometime this month or early Oct for closing deadline of end of Nov) as most people who have stuff prepared and polished already will have sent it to writers room..

Quote: AJGO @ September 9 2011, 12:40 PM BST

Looks from the article as if it's a general mission statement that has been interpreted by some media to mean that there will be a call for unsolicited scripts. Can't find anything saying this, but they may well do. But they're cutting it a bit fine if they want transmittable fresh scripts in a month (presuming they open submissions sometime this month or early Oct for closing deadline of end of Nov) as most people who have stuff prepared and polished already will have sent it to writers room..

There's cutting it fine and there's using a cut-throat razor... My opinion is all these shows are in the bag-unless it needs to be particularly topical, programmes are recorded months in advance. So it's not an unsolicited opportunity.

Well, if they're broadcasting by mid 2012 I'm not sure of the time scale, but could be do-able as it's studio audience rather than locations. But this
Cheryl Taylor, the head of comedy commissioning, said: "We hope that this dedicated pilot initiative will galvanise writers to think about more inventive, likeable and enduring characters for our mainstream channel."
makes me think that they're putting stuff on to encourage submissions through writers room of a certain style, rather than calling out for unsolicited work this time around

Quote: Frantically @ September 6 2011, 10:41 PM BST

Yes but the original article, and the attributed quotes, make no mention of an 'open submission' - at least not in the sense it's being spoken of here.
And it's unlikely to come through the Writers Room - which is there to discover writers, not programming.

:( Sounds like they want a modern day 'Terry and June' think I will submit my brilliant 'Shaz and Daz' sitcom. ;)

Was told today by someone in the industry that this is not an open call for submissions- supplier companies only.
But who knows, they may well specifically invite unsolicited submissions- although that is basically what writers room is

Quote: AJGO @ September 14 2011, 2:29 PM BST

Was told today by someone in the industry that this is not an open call for submissions- supplier companies only.
But who knows, they may well specifically invite unsolicited submissions- although that is basically what writers room is

At last.
It was only an extraordinary optimisic reading of the original press release that could possibly lead anyone to think otherwise.
And they won't use the Writers Room (which seeks new writers not new projects) because they're not going to trust the script readers there to spot the next big SitCom.

Quote: Lazzard @ September 14 2011, 3:46 PM BST

At last.
It was only an extraordinary optimisic reading of the original press release that could possibly lead anyone to think otherwise.

Or a literal reading of the Chortle article.

Quote: Lazzard @ September 14 2011, 3:46 PM BST

At last.

The original PR states:

The deadline for delivery of scripts is 30 November, with the chosen pieces going into production in the first half of 2012. Details of how to enter scripts will be released in due course.

That really could be read either way. However, as 2 and a half weeks have now passed with no further word, it's probably a good bet to assume that those "details" have gone out privately to the various independent production companies. A bit of a smack in the face for in-house comedy, but that department doesn't seem to have long left anyway, from what I hear.

Nevertheless, this page may be of interest/use to some: http://www.bbc.co.uk/commissioning/briefs/tv/browse-by-genre/comedy/comedy-on-bbc-one.shtml

Bit nervous now in case info is wrong! Sure no-one would, but if you're writing with this in mind, don't stop! Or do. I don't know.. That's the last time I try to be helpful, it's well stressful