Festival routine

I'm having another go at stand up

Torrential rain so that can only mean one thing. It's festival time again!

I'm old enough to have seen all those festivals of the late sixties and early seventies. I saw Hendrix at the Isle of Wight man! I was there! ... Anybody have a clue what he was like? Any good? What? He was out of tune? No way!!

I went to Woodstock too. I stood at the food tent for half an hour waiting for them to put wavy gravy on my chips but in the end I had to make do with ketchup. I didn't see any bands either - just this big country palace thing.

I wish that I was going to Glasto this year. See I haven't had a bath for about three months and if I could get there it would save me a few quid on running my water at home. I need to do something soon or I'm gonna start ponging a bit. Hey! Far out guy! Cos I've just thought, if I did go I’d be helping to save the planet too wouldn't I? Must see if I can swap a ticket on eBay later for my Aboriginal dream catcher. Some bloke that knows Rolf Harris made it. I couldn't tell what it was first.

And what about Reading? It's always pissing down at Reading isn't it? And sometimes it even rains too. All those beer and cider flagons. Eughhh (Shudders) Reminds me of this site I know on the internet. Mind, live and let live as my mum used to say - there’s a few Tory MP's who'd pay good money for that sort of thing. Maybe they oughta get down there this summer and spare Cameron the embarrassment.

And how can we forget Live Aid? The ultimate big gig. Bob Geldoff - give us the pfokin' money!

I was horrified - all that bad language on telly and before the watershed too. He was giving beggars a bad name dressed like that. Had he no respect or sense of dressing for the ocassion? And in front of Prince Chuck and Lady Di too. He might at least have smartened himself up a bit and worn a piss-stained suit covered in fag-ash. No class that's his problem.

Anyway, here’s me bus. See you later.

*applause*
Loved the Bob Geldof.

Yeah, getting into this aren't you Blenk!! I think what I would do is take the paras from the earlier one (plus anything else you come up with) and shuffle the lot together. May sound bizarre as an idea but I think stand up jumps about more than just a focus on one topic (you can dream up wobbly linking words to get you back and forth between topics). If you stay just on one subject you run the risk of losing people who aren't particularly turned on by it ... whereas if you hop about the audience overall get surprises! Just a thought!!

Thanks Charley glad you like that.

Mike I never considered writing stand up before but have often thought if I had the bottle I'd like to have a go. I've done many gigs as a musician but this is a bit different.

Funnily enough I had come to the same conclusion as you. Get a lot of stuff together and then mix and match according to the audience. I am going to write a lot more material and the way I've done it so far (twice) is to take a subject, and if I may go into muso-comedic parlance: "Riff" on that.

Then once I have a lot of material together I may get sozzled and try and find an open mic spot and commend my soul to a higher deity.

Failing that I may hang around the stage door and get someone to agree to do it for me.

Quote: Blenkinsop @ June 22, 2007, 8:00 PM

Then once I have a lot of material together I may get sozzled and try and find an open mic spot and commend my soul to a higher deity.

You sure you haven't done stand up before? :D

There's an open-mic slot in Slough this Friday. At The West Wing venue. Give it a go, I think you've got what it takes.

Quote: Stuart Laws @ June 23, 2007, 12:43 PM

There's an open-mic slot in Slough this Friday. At The West Wing venue. Give it a go, I think you've got what it takes.

I'd love to Stuart but I'd be cacking myself so much that I'd have to get so pissed that I couldn't drive back home.

Quote: Blenkinsop @ June 24, 2007, 12:12 AM

I'd love to Stuart but I'd be cacking myself so much that I'd have to get so pissed that I couldn't drive back home.

Blenks! Just go for it. We have one shot at this thing called life. Go for it.

Yeah Blenks whats the worst that could happen? Whoops now you're thinking about the worst that could happen aren't you. Erm... But seriously if you really want to do it then don't be put off my your nerves. I was nervous then I slayed my nerves like George slayed the dragon. Now i'm just angry and bitter. Angry

Go for it, the nerves are there for about twenty seconds on stage then you kinda get into the rythym and relax a bit more, go for it.

Great stuff! Yeah, go for it Blenkinsop!

Come on, everyone's doing it!

You'll be the only one who isn't!

If you dont do it Blenky. I am going to come & get yer.

If Blenk has to do it then you have to do it aswell Charley. We could have a BSG comedy night, that would be cool.