Advice on representation

Hi guys, quick question from a newbie - is it at all possible/recommended to send out emailed attachments of scripts instead of posting them? or do agents and production companies prefer posted copies? will emailing my work make it less likely to be read? thanks, Paddy

Hi Paddy.
You'll probably get more knowledable answers than I can give - but I believe it's best always to submit hard copies of scripts - certainly Writers Room BBC only accept Hard copies.
Cheers

thanks salaman!

I parted company with my agent six years ago, but, as far as I knew, never send sample chapters/loglines by e-mail unless the company contact specifically allows/requests it because they won't print them up, and reading on a screen ensues a different layout/format to a hard copy.

The world has changed though, so it may be more acceptable now as I know people who e-mail production companies.

Competitions tend to be more flexible with this as they aren't always ran from an office.

Writers and Artists' yearbook tends to answer most questions.

Email or post, trying to read by get an agent is a whole other headache, if you can get someone with a decent credit/or even better, an existing client to put in a word that will save you a lot of time. As agents really don't encourage queries made on speculation.

Certain industry competitions carry enough prestige, but, that wasn't your question so I'll end my tangent there.

Quote: paddyb @ August 10 2011, 10:06 PM BST

Hi guys, quick question from a newbie - is it at all possible/recommended to send out emailed attachments of scripts instead of posting them? or do agents and production companies prefer posted copies? will emailing my work make it less likely to be read? thanks, Paddy

You can send ideas for scripts or manuscripts by email to some companies, as I have done, but you then have to send a hard copy of your work or a sample of your work. Check the Writers and Artists Yearbook.

Ask them.
If you're sending without asking first, chances are it'll get binned/deleted anyway.
Even if people say they accept unsolicited material, a phone call shows willing and can't hurt.
It might even push you a little nearer the top of the pile.

Best of luck.

And then, to offer yet another contrary viewpoint, some agents say NEVER ring them.
It's all a flipping minefield, basically.

From my experience they just asked me to email them the script. If they like it they'll ask you in for a chat to make sure they're not dealing with a mental. Nobody really deals in hard copy anymore - except the Writer's Room as said above. Best to ask first though with an introductory email like;

"Dear ______
I'm a comedy writer currently looking for representation and was wondering if you're taking on new clients at the moment.
My experience is _________.

Many thanks, _______.

PS: If you take me on I'd be very happy to stick my ______ up your _____ or even ______ your ______ with an oven-ready ______.

What I will say though is it's almost impossible to get an agent without already being a 'known' writer with TV credits or published work or whatever. And even then it's sometimes very hard - a mate of mine has had two CBBC sitcoms, a sketch show, and he wrote for Ant & Dec and he can't get an agent either.

Just saying.

Quote: Lee Henman @ August 12 2011, 12:16 PM BST

a mate of mine has had two CBBC sitcoms, a sketch show, and he wrote for Ant & Dec and he can't get an agent either.

:O

That's mad!

Does he fail on the 'not a mental' front? ;)

Quote: Lee Henman @ August 12 2011, 12:16 PM BST

it's almost impossible to get an agent without already being a 'known' writer with TV credits or published work or whatever. And even then it's sometimes very hard - a mate of mine has had two CBBC sitcoms, a sketch show, and he wrote for Ant & Dec and he can't get an agent either.

Just saying.

Does he want someone with previous experience? :)

Quote: zooo @ August 12 2011, 1:45 PM BST

That's mad!

Does he fail on the 'not a mental' front? ;)

Not really, it's just been a few years since he had anything on telly. Most (decent) agents only want earners - or at the very least a good bet.

Quote: Lee Henman @ August 12 2011, 4:57 PM BST

Not really, it's just been a few years since he had anything on telly. Most (decent) agents only want earners - or at the very least a good bet.

I think that's a slightly different subject-keeping an agent as opposed to getting an agent.

I supposed as a writer/performer you expect the agent to do everything to help you, but if they try most things and none of them seem to work, the style of the writer becomes old fashioned for instance, it's probably better for the agent to cut and run. It depends how many clients they have.

Quote: Tim Azure @ August 14 2011, 9:52 AM BST

I supposed as a writer/performer you expect the agent to do everything to help you,

That would be a mistake, you would hope they will get you work, more people will certainly look at your work because it's sent by an agent, but you should carry on doing exactly what you did before you had one. Send stuff out, generate your own leads.

If you have an agent, are you then obliged to arrange any work through them even if you found it yourself/were offered it directly as a result of previous work or enquiries?