Views!!!!! (non comedic)

Right after views!

My Son who is 21 (almost) has gone and signed his arse up for the army. Now it is soooooooo not my choice I have begged, grizzled and hollerd but he is off and that is that. Anyhoo what i want to ask is this........

My son has to go to an office and look up at a picture of the Queen & with a bible in his hand say this.

I SWEAR BY ALMIGHTY GOD THAT I WILL BE FAITHFUL AND BEAR TRUE ALLEGIANCE TO HER MAJESTY QUEEN ELIZABETH II, HER HEIRS AND SUCCESSORS AND THAT I WILL AS IN DUTY BOUND HONESTLY AND FAITHFULLY DEFEND HER MAJESTY, HER HEIRS AND SUCCESSORS IN PERSON, CROWN AND DIGNITY AGAINST ALL ENEMIES AND WILL OBSERVE AND OBEY ALL ORDERS OF HER MAJESTY, HER HEIRS AND SUCCESSORS AND OF THE GENERALS AND OFFICERS SET OVER ME"

Am I alone in finding this quite repulsive. Maybe if it was swearing on our flag or country I would feel differently.

Now this is the American version.

I DO SOLEMNLY SWEAR (OR AFFIRM) THAT I WILL SUPPORT AND DEFEND THE CONSTITUTION OF THE UNITED STATES AGAINST ALL ENEMIES, FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC; THAT I WILL BEAR TRUE FAITH AND ALLEGIANCE TO THE SAME; AND THAT I WILL OBEY THE ORDERS OF THE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES AND THE ORDERS OF THE OFFICERS APPOINTED OVER ME, ACCORDING TO REGULATIONS AND THE UNIFORM CODE OF MILITARY JUSTICE. SO HELP ME GOD

So I am asking do you think its time for a change??
I am probably being biast as I am not a fan of Royalty.

That's not being bias. If you was Royalty and you wanted to keep the original you would be being bias.

I think the whole Royal Family needs to go, along with the national anthem. That was old Britain, we need a cool new theme performed by the latest X-Factor contestant or something?

I think it should be in allegiance to the ROYLE Family - much more worth looking after.

I DO SOLEMNLY SWEAR TO SIT ON MY FAT ASS, WATCH TV AND BELCH AT EVERY OPPORTUNITY.

I sympathise. I've always said if I had a kid I would never let him join the army, but I don't suppose you have any choice. :(

But yeah, all the Royal family bollocks is sickening. But then so is the God bollocks. And the patriotism bollocks.
Bollocks seems to be my word of the day.

I must admit, I couldn't give two hoots whether we have a Royal Family or not... but the whole religion/God thing really does bug the crap out of me.

So yeah... Bollocks!

:)

Does it really matter what they SAY? Nobody means what they say? I mean I made some marriage vows about 25 years ago!

Laughing out loud

Change? No.

Army? Well, not my personal thing, but I've nothing against it as a principle. Pity how our armed forces are being used at the moment. All I can say, Charley, is make sure he's got something to come back to. You'd be shocked to learn how many of our ex-servicemen are treated (or not, as the case may be) when they leave duty.

And I'd gladly work for the Royal Family or summink.

I wouldn't change it. It's basically the same as the US version. At least the key parts about obeying and protecting and who obedience is due too. It could be worse they could put Simon Cowell's name in it instead of the Queen.

Aaron's bang on, they do a thankless task, in terrible conditions. I have nothing but respect for your lad, Charley, and anyone else who puts their life on the line.

True, Patriotism has been used to justify some terrible things but so has the converse and the abscence of patriotism. In a world where people will remove your rights if you don't defend them, we need to be scrupulously fair to others, allowing them the right to exist, while defending our own right to co-exist on this planet.

I'd swear at the Queen. Does that help?

LOL AJP.

Thanks everyone for the kind words on my little baby. Him & I have kind of grown up together & I will miss him & worry colossally.

You only have the rights the ones who have power allow you!

That I agree with totally, WJFK