The All-in-one Consolidatory Boxing Thread Page 2

Quote: Steve Sunshine @ June 24 2011, 12:13 AM BST

Cool!

I recently discovered that I was delivered by the same Doctor who delivered Prince William & Prince Harry & he said that I had bluer blood than either of them

:D

Come on OldRocker! this isn't the "Who is Royalty & Who's Not" thread.
Let's get back to Boxing.

I remember getting into Boxing because my brother loved it, he'd get Ring magazine and all that. but often a fight would have happened before you could watch it on TV & he would always go to great lengths not to be told the result beforehand.

Brummie Pat Cowdell had just fought the very dangerous African Azuma Nelson ( and had been poelaxed in round one). My brother had let it be known that he didn't know the result & wanted to watch it on video.
My Dad said "Don't worry I won't spoil it for you, but I will say that Barry Mcguigan had better watch out"

Suffice to say it was obvious who had won.

Jerry Quarry died in the hospital where my son was born. I think that's the extent of my connections to boxing and medicine.

A story about my late grandfather's boxing career in the U.S. Navy during WWII: http://www.ussjpkennedyjr.org/thorn647/bull.html

The best song ever written about boxing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymA5L-aCls8

Is it Ben Folds or Paul Simon?
EDIT Robert Zedd of course

I didn't knei Jerry Quarry was dead, but I only really know him from his fights with Ali

I could be really tempted by PPV for the Haye fight but, unlike other sports you don't know what you are going to get for your money.

12 seconds or 12 rounds . . .

At least with F1 I'm guaranteed at least one and half hours and a football match is 90 minutes (unless it's Man U at home when it could be up to 100 minutes depending on whether Man U are winning or not).

I think I will get the Haye fight on PPV
It's one of those that has a real bit of excitement to it & they don't come around that often.

The last one I paid for was Hatton Against Mayweather, at the time we all thought that the fat boozer had a chance.

SS, you have pm.

Aha!
Wink.

Quote: Steve Sunshine @ June 24 2011, 12:55 AM BST

I didn't knei Jerry Quarry was dead

He and another boxer brother died young from pugilistic dementia. Another brother has Parkinson's (like Ali?)

Getting hit in the head for a living is a poor career choice.

Quote: DaButt @ June 24 2011, 1:48 AM BST

He and another boxer brother died young from pugilistic dementia. Another brother has Parkinson's (like Ali?)

Getting hit in the head for a living is a poor career choice.

You can argue that it gives people a chance to make something of themselves when they don't have many other options
Or that other sports have just as many fatalities, but the idea of hitting someone repeatedly around the head for Sport. is not one that is easy to justify.

Not many sports kill people 20 or 30 years after they retire. We'll be seeing the same thing in the cage fighters before long. It's a tough way to earn a living.

Quote: Steve Sunshine @ June 23 2011, 11:47 PM BST

Benn Eubank 2 wasn't a split decision it was a draw.
But I'm wondering if Benn had a point deducted or something
I remeber thinking he would have won had it not been for that.

Let's not forget Michael Watson
Who gave Benn a masterclass when he beat him, should have been given the decision against Eubank in their first fight & was winning their second until that awful tragedy.

Ah yes a draw, thought it was close. Don't remember if Benn had points deducted but I do remember his shocked face when the result was announced. He went ballistic if I recall, having to be restrained and everything. Sure it was that fight. To be fair to him, it did look like he'd won that one. But not the first.

On Watson, yes great loss for the sport, he was a great talent, probably with a better future than both the others. It didn't help the image of Boxing either. I am a bit surprised they haven't gone to wearing heard guards yet, as I think it's bound to happen.

I watched 'Ringside' on Sky Sports last night. The panel (McGuigan, Hatton and Watt) were all in agreement that Haye is probably gonna win, but only if he gets his tactics right. They said he musn't go in all guns blazing and that we should expect a similar defensive style as we saw against Valuev.

If Wladimir lands a clean punch, though, he's down.

*Wonders if I can somehow watch the Haye/Klitschko fight online without the risk of virus infestation*

Quote: TopBanana @ June 24 2011, 1:46 PM BST

*Wonders if I can somehow watch the Haye/Klitschko fight online without the risk of virus infestation*

Almost certainly.

Quote: Steve Sunshine @ June 24 2011, 12:13 AM BST

Cool!

I'm trying to think of a joke involving throwing in a towel or being technically knocked out but luckily I can't think of one

I recently discovered that I was delivered by the Queens Gynaecologist. which practically makes me Royalty

Back on Boxing Topic.
Although the Heavyweight division was a bit rubbish post Ali & pre Tyson, Larry Holmes is very underrated, what a record he had.

My favourite Holmes moment: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zlQqSCzRrA

Quote: Steve Sunshine @ June 23 2011, 9:22 PM BST

Is it not on YouTube?

It probably is, but I'd rather watch something that long on a TV and in decent quality.

Quote: Steve Sunshine @ June 23 2011, 11:47 PM BST

Benn Eubank 2 wasn't a split decision it was a draw.
But I'm wondering if Benn had a point deducted or something
I remeber thinking he would have won had it not been for that.

I think there may have been a point deducted or one of the judges scored a round in favour of Eubank when it was obviously Benn's. Benn should have been scored the winner as he was the better boxer that day.