Hello from Latvia...

wow, you say... or at least think? Latvia? Where's that? Do they have color TVs over there?

Yes, we do ;) Have had them for a year or two, I think.

On more serious note - Hi, my name is WrongTale, and I'm britcom-ocholic. I religiously watch at least few NEW (stuff I've not seen before) episodes almost daily. I've seen the vast majority of what is considered the best, the funniest, the most popular britcoms. I have my favourites, which include Blackadder, Yes (Prime) Minister, Vicar Of Dibley, 'Allo 'Allo, Thin Blue Line, One Foot In The Grave, My Family (first three series, really), Coupling and a bunch of 70s stuff...and there some series I don't enjoy too much - as some widely considered classics are among them, I will not discuss them right now ;)

Most of these at one point or another were shown on local television. But all the rest I got... well, you know. From the internet. In my defence, I do order britcom DVDs almost every month from amazon - but almost always those are series I've obtained by some other means and loved so much I had to buy the DVDs... We do not get UK Gold here, you know :)

Currently watching some Still Game (and loving the accent, although not understanding some of it), League Of Gentlemen and Dad's Army...

Sorry it took that long. I just replied to some obvious questions that might arise ;) Hi again and cheers :)

actually i didn't think latia had electricity yet, i thought you still, made fires by rubbing two sticks together but you really sell it, i might book a flight to latvia, whats your comedy like over there

LOL! ;) Well, lately you've probably heard the name in a more political aspect...
Anyways, the local comedy here is nonexistant. They have tried some localizations of, say, I Love Lucy and few others, but the final resulst has been lame at best.
The thing is - the most popular britcom in Latvia, constantly on a rerun, is... Keeping Up Appearances. That should give you some idea of a humour we prefer. I don't have anything against KUP, I actually own 1-4 series on DVD, but... I still cringe when watching it.
Also it's my wife's favourite comedy thing - mainly because she thinks her mother-in-law is very much like Hyacinth. And it is not true. No, it isn't.

hehe, yeah i reckon everybody knows a hyachinth, i can't beleive you'd admit to the world you own 4 series of k.u.p, there is only a few words to describe it, but i don't like swearing so i can't write them, if the local scene is non-excistant why don't you start one, you could make a small fortune, out of it and it would bring happiness to thousands of latvians (who probably think stone henge is a piece of modern art).

Quote: lewis roberts @ November 4, 2006, 9:08 PM

i can't beleive you'd admit to the world you own 4 series of k.u.p

I believe I did mention previously that it was one of my wife's favourites ;)

i ca't beleive you'd admit that k.u.p is one of your wifes favorite, i can't understand how someone can walk into a shop, not even wearing a balaclava and buy k.u.p, it should come wrapped in a brown paper bag

Hey! Both myself and my girlfriend love KUA, and not only do I own series 1-4, but I'm waiting eagerly for series 5! :D

Quote: lewis roberts @ November 5, 2006, 12:22 PM

i ca't beleive you'd admit that k.u.p is one of your wifes favorite, i can't understand how someone can walk into a shop, not even wearing a balaclava and buy k.u.p, it should come wrapped in a brown paper bag

Laughing out loud
First of all - it's impossible to get britcoms or any kind of series DVDs in local shops. They stock only DVDs of a) latest Hollywood blockbusters; b) bargains like Exorcist: The Beginning. I did saw a set of "24" once, but that's it. I get all my stuff from amazon.

Second - I'm sure you'll love to hear the list of my guilty pleasures. I mentioned the american ones in the appropriate section, but here come the british ones:

As Time Goes By (whatever; it's the fantastic acting of the leading couple :))
Some Mothers Do 'Ave 'Em
To The Manor Born
Are You Being Served?
The Good Life

and one American sitcom I forgot to mention - Saved By The Bell. The first ever sitcom aired in Latvia some time in 1991 (the second being Men Behaving Badly and then Surgical Steel). And because it's so incredibly bad... it's good. Just like the first few Venom records.
Not a sitcom, rather a dramedy - Ally McBeal

Oh, and btw - being a fan of The Beatles, ABBA, heavy metal and black metal, I'm rather used to being ridiculed about my taste, and have grown a thick skin Rolling eyes

Quote: Aaron @ November 5, 2006, 4:56 PM

I'm waiting eagerly for series 5! :D

Seriously... why? the shark had been jumped already at that point ;) Even the fourth series weren't that good...

Quote: WrongTale @ November 6, 2006, 8:16 PM

As Time Goes By (whatever; it's the fantastic acting of the leading couple :))
Some Mothers Do 'Ave 'Em
To The Manor Born
Are You Being Served?
The Good Life

As Time Goes By is pretty good really, although I can see what you mean.
Some Mothers Do 'Ave 'Em is an utter classic. Nothing to feel guilty about.
Slightly less of a classic, but same with To The Manor Born.
Are You Being Served? many people would probably feel guilty about, but I certainly don't!
The Good Life has a bit of a "reputation", but is really pretty good on the whole. Nothing really to feel guilty about there either!

Seriously... why? the shark had been jumped already at that point ;) Even the fourth series weren't that good...

Possibly, but I still love it. :)

Oh, and btw - being a fan of The Beatles, ABBA, heavy metal and black metal, I'm rather used to being ridiculed about my taste, and have grown a thick skin Rolling eyes

i see you have quite good taste in music i love the beatles music, and i'm not ashamed to say i like abba, i don't listen to heavy metal and i don't even know what black metal is but a lot of people like them so they can't be that bad can they,